Rubbish kitchen knives

bluesj

The wife is away visiting friends so thought id make a bit of a mess in the kitchen and sharpen all the knives as i'm fed up of them never being sharp.

So I've gone through then all and they are all ****, so its time to get some good ones but what to do with the old ones? 

hand them in to police  they will go against crime statistics may get another bobby on the beat    if you want a knife to hold an edge carbon steel not stainless   however will take more cleaning dew to rust unless blued or plum browned both are easily done a carbon steel blade  Sheffield steel knives hold a good edge even better Japanese blades    any high carbon steel blade needs to be looked after  

Edited by Saltings

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

hand them in to police  they will go against crime statistics may get another bobby on the beat    if you want a knife to hold an edge carbon steel not stainless   however will take more cleaning dew to rust unless blued or plum browned both are easily done a carbon steel blade  Sheffield steel knives hold a good edge even better Japanese blades    any high carbon steel blade needs to be looked after  

A fair suggestion! But I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for another copper on the beat.

We have 3 sets of knives in the kitchen, mine, the good sharp ones, hers the odd looking blunt set and my 17 year old sons set which are developing nicely as he learns to prepare and cook some great dishes.

26 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We have 3 sets of knives in the kitchen, mine, the good sharp ones, hers the odd looking blunt set and my 17 year old sons set which are developing nicely as he learns to prepare and cook some great dishes.

I was thinking the same, do it at work got my knives and the vets knives. Vets like trying to cut concrete!  

We have some very good old Sheffield steel knives. A couple of ok IKEA Japanese shaped ones that are quite good and hold a good edge , comfy to use in the hand and then some cack ones for the wife. Yet she will use all knives for anything from scraping things hacking at stuff also prying open metal cans then cutting food onto a granite board. I have to sharpen a knife before use now, if it wasn't for the bevel i wouldn't know the back from the cutting edge.

Even the cheapest knives will sharpen and cut for cooking, just need sharpening more.

Edited by figgy

14 minutes ago, figgy said:

Even the cheapest knives will sharpen and cut for cooking, just need sharpening more.

True but its nice to be able to pick up a knife and stand a chance of cutting some thing without spending time getting an edge back on it!

We use victorinox knives at work and you can tell who has been using them by how they have been sharpened (or not)

On 23/03/2019 at 20:47, bluesj said:

That is where they are heading but thought there must be some sort of use for them.

I keep an old small kitchen knife on the lawnmower, great for digging out dandelions as you are mowing the lawn.

I also keep one or two carving knives in the workshop, which are handy for cutting thick mineral felt for the shed etc.

When  my mother died, I took her her matching cutlery to the local hospice shop. They wouldn’t take the dinner knives even though they are rounded because of company policy. They took the forks and spoons but wouldn’t get much for them because there were no matching knives. Perhaps they just scrap cutlery?