Shooting with Man Flu

As I drove across the city this morning to pick up DB I went past two blocks of Beech trees, one in a park and one at a cemetary both had a good number of pigeons feeding on the buds. So I knew it was going to be a difficult days shooting, also I was full of a type of cold/flu. I had woken up at 04.00 with a dry cough which rattled my head every time I coughed but I must go Pigeon Shooting.I'm not in the mood to write a long report so I will keep going. We had covered seventy miles looking and found nothing, We did find a rape field with a good number on it but as we walked them off they lifted enblock, DB dropped one as they flew over and the shot did split the flock. We left the field and kept looking and returned thirty minutes later and they were down in the same area, So we agreed to set up and see what we get. It was now 13.00 and we set up with twelve fresh birds, two on the magnet, four on angels the rest on spikes. We had the angels in the tall rape only visable from above. The wind was off our backs and the first birds came in no trouble , after that they tended to shy off the decoy pattern but not far enough. When we had thirty decoys down they all came in sweet as a nut. We shot till 18.00 as the birds were coming over us to roost and some decoyed. We picked up one hundred and thirteen pigeons so it was a successful day after a slow start

100-3385.jpg

113 Pigeons

Thanks for posting PC.

What amazes me, is that after a full day in the field, you still make time and have the stamina to set out the bag for the photo. Something that many of us of a similar age would be too knackered to bother with.

Well done on another fine result.

OB

Another great result, Supertash. You certainly did better than me yesterday. This morning is looking a little better. I have had an early start on rape using the silenced .410. I have shot 6 so far, but will move if they don't come more regularly. Make that 7.

59 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Thanks for posting PC.

What amazes me, is that after a full day in the field, you still make time and have the stamina to set out the bag for the photo. Something that many of us of a similar age would be too knackered to bother with.

Well done on another fine result.

OB

Perhaps it's my OCD but I do have respect for my quarry, they are a beautiful bird with fantastic flying ability. It's just that they have moved out of foraging in the woods to eating the farmers crops.

I do feel better this morning but I just dumped all the gear in the garage last night, I did clean my gun and lay the birds out to cool.

One thing we did see during our travels yesterday was a good number of small groups on clover in paddocks and lawns. The grass field behind the hide had a massive amount of chickweed which will be a good draw for pigeons if the sheep are not put on the field.

Thanks for all your comments, my reason for posting is to prove that you never stop looking and you will find birds if they are in your area whatever size that is.