HDMI splitter?

toxo

4 minutes ago, Snoozer said:

Any decent Bidirectional HDMI splitter wiill perform this function, Have linked an example only as I don't own this item.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Switch-Bidirectional-Splitter-Supports/dp/B076VJ7XZV/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=hdmi+splitter+with+2+outputs&qid=1553425730&s=gateway&sr=8-3

But you still have to switch. What I would like is to go from the front room to the kitchen and and back again whilst keeping up with the program. Is this possible?

Re read the discription and your right it still needs to toggle between the 2 monitors, Will keep looking :)

OK try this one, It states display on 2 screens at the same time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Techole-Aluminum-Supports-Projector-Black/dp/B07DW2445X/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=hdmi+splitter+with+2+outputs&qid=1553427001&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Edited by Snoozer

Yep,definitely possible.

Have been looking to do this only a few days ago as I’ve fitted a blu-Ray player in the car for the monsters.

Discovered that using hdmi it would only show on the front screen and not simultaneously on the rear. Most of the ones I’ve looked at do screen mirroring on both screens from one source.

1 hour ago, Snoozer said:

Re read the discription and your right it still needs to toggle between the 2 monitors, Will keep looking :)

OK try this one, It states display on 2 screens at the same time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Techole-Aluminum-Supports-Projector-Black/dp/B07DW2445X/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=hdmi+splitter+with+2+outputs&qid=1553427001&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Let's see if I've got this right. The normal (switchable) ones are not the same as this type. Seems like this type uses an amplifier to share the signal and needs a usb connection. Have I got this right?

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Not too far. The tv/monitor is on the end of a 10m cable. Do you think that would be a problem?

Nope, obviously if you using a non shielded cheapo cable but we have a 10m running from the media centre to a projector and have no loss of signal quality.

Regarding usb or Mains, both will be running at 5v and a few milliamperes, they both plug into a wall socket so your choice and I can see no advantage to either.

Still to choose mine as I’m waiting on an hdmi to composite conversion cable to arrive from the states.

7 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Nope, obviously if you using a non shielded cheapo cable but we have a 10m running from the media centre to a projector and have no loss of signal quality.

Regarding usb or Mains, both will be running at 5v and a few milliamperes, they both plug into a wall socket so your choice and I can see no advantage to either.

Still to choose mine as I’m waiting on an hdmi to composite conversion cable to arrive from the states.

Good to know. Just bought this one. Fingers crossed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ultra-HD-1-4-HDMI-Splitter-1-In-4-Out-4K-3D-4-Way-HDMI-Signal-Distributor-UK/333085058103?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3D4122ebad4bf141b4a6219c47a9fc7fd7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D283258031722%26itm%3D333085058103&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

2 hours ago, toxo said:

Not too far. The tv/monitor is on the end of a 10m cable. Do you think that would be a problem?

It depends on the quality of the cable and what else electrical is near by. Fridge or freezer motors can be tricky as can central heating pumps if you are running it round behind the units in the kitchen but you just have to try it and see.

Edited by Vince Green

Update.

After some plugging and unplugging the splitter works fine on both TVs with one maybe issue. Could be coincidence but every now and then the TV blacks out for maybe 3/4 seconds and comes back to normal. I thought maybe the splitter is overheating? No sign of heat on the outside. Will try without the splitter and using different ports that are farther apart etc. All I can say is  it's working. Watch this space.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update.

The blacking out issue didn't go away, however, when I was messing with the kodi tv box I plugged it into the splitter and it's been fine on both TVs so it's Virgin who'll have questions to answer.

It could be the bandwidth set the virgin box to the lowest output not auto (576 if possible but 1080i if not, in that order) switch of HDR deep colour and 4K 

However it’s  possible you are experiencing a part of the HDCP content protection built in to hdmi devices, cheap splitters probably won’t work you either need a proper hdmi DA (distribution amplifier) with edid management or an edid emulator, each tv has its own edid which is passed between the source and display as part of the hdmi handshake 2 tv’s can’t handshake to one source so the one get sent and the othe ignored or worse both get sent an confuse the virgin box, a kodi box designed to let you stream copy protected content won’t stick to the standards and will just push video,  a set top box for a cable tv company will. You can analyse the issue and solve it better da’s have an edid manager that allow you to set the edid in the DA (often a dip or rotary switch) 

http://www.cypeurope.com/store/store/app/product/QU-4M/1-to-4-HDMI-Distribution-Amplifier-with-System-Reset

2 hours ago, HDAV said:

It could be the bandwidth set the virgin box to the lowest output not auto (576 if possible but 1080i if not, in that order) switch of HDR deep colour and 4K 

However it’s  possible you are experiencing a part of the HDCP content protection built in to hdmi devices, cheap splitters probably won’t work you either need a proper hdmi DA (distribution amplifier) with edid management or an edid emulator, each tv has its own edid which is passed between the source and display as part of the hdmi handshake 2 tv’s can’t handshake to one source so the one get sent and the othe ignored or worse both get sent an confuse the virgin box, a kodi box designed to let you stream copy protected content won’t stick to the standards and will just push video,  a set top box for a cable tv company will. You can analyse the issue and solve it better da’s have an edid manager that allow you to set the edid in the DA (often a dip or rotary switch) 

http://www.cypeurope.com/store/store/app/product/QU-4M/1-to-4-HDMI-Distribution-Amplifier-with-System-Reset

Thanks HDAV (I think).

I understood some of it. Have changed the Virgin box to 576 and 1080 and it hasn't gone blank in about 45mins so fingers crossed.

Why the price difference between the one in your link and this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-WAY-1-IN-4-OUT-HDMI-DISTRIBUTION-SPLITTER-AMPLIFIER-1080P/322169698281?hash=item4b02cf77e9:g:ey0AAOSwjVVVs9YS

23 hours ago, HDAV said:

What res is it still doing it on? 

Won't let me change from 1080 although I still see an image at 576 it reverts to 1080 telling me this is what my tv wants.

Strange thing is most of yesterday it didn't do it  but then it did later on. Not happening so much now though.

Edited by toxo