Gun Conversion

Harry136

Hi

I fancy buying a  combination gun, but don't want to pay a fortune.

How easy would it be to convert an O/U shotgun in to a combination?

Obviously the barrel would need sleeving and rifled and I'm guessing the action would need a bit of work.

So is it feasable?

9 minutes ago, Harry136 said:

Hi

Obviously the barrel would need sleeving and rifled and I'm guessing the action would need a bit of work.

So is it feasable?

And sights 

and regulated to point of aim 

and a extractor mechanism 

and re proof 

and a visit from the flo 

although a firm called Aj Parker used to tube rifles to a smaller Calibre I don’t think they did shotguns 

I doubt it's possible. 

Shotgun proof pressures are, if I remember correctly, in the region of 15-20,000 psi. Rifles are more like 50-60,000 psi. A shotgun breech just isn't designed to take those sort of pressure loads without some major re-engineering.

59 minutes ago, Harry136 said:

Hi

So is it feasable?

Anything is POSSIBLE if you have BOTTOMLESS POCKETS and can find someone to help you waste YOUR money!

OK so what gun are you thinking about ? I have made rifle barrels to fit into a Browning B25 , 20 bore frame in 7mm and 9.3x75R. These were then finished and regulated by others who know more about this than me .

I have sleeved a pair side by side shot gun barrels in 308 Winchester for a customer . The action blew into many pieces .

Unless you have deep pockets ten I would not advise this course but suggest you look for an existing gun in Europe where they are more common .

In all honesty its a thought for the future as my permission has both deer and birds, so I was thinking 12g and a .243 for barrels, but I was just intrigued as to the feasability of it. All my guns are Brownings, so was thinking that I could buy a B525 of something and have the job done.

One could perhaps make a sleeve with a breech screw plug like an early punt gun and a firing pin centrally that would be hit by the firing pin of the shotgun forming a breech within a breech as it were. 

As the shotgun would never be pressure bearing would that then mean only the insert would need proofing for it?

Reloading would be a faff though. 

17 hours ago, Harry136 said:

In all honesty its a thought for the future as my permission has both deer and birds, so I was thinking 12g and a .243 for barrels, but I was just intrigued as to the feasability of it. All my guns are Brownings, so was thinking that I could buy a B525 of something and have the job done.

Browning used to make a double rifle on the 525 I had a 9.3x74 (quite a low pressure but big round) so it can be done and they probably did in Europe 

Easiest answer is to buy a 'drilling' , but by the time you have faffed around unloading the rifle barrel and reloading a shotshell the quarrie has ******** off .

To consider the other option of converting a shotgun to a rifle , you may be better off spending your money and time on Nintendo.

2 hours ago, Salopian said:

Easiest answer is to buy a 'drilling' , but by the time you have faffed around unloading the rifle barrel and reloading a shotshell the quarrie has ******** off .

To consider the other option of converting a shotgun to a rifle , you may be better off spending your money and time on Nintendo.

Well that is my favourite post of the week!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Completion!