Crows Drawn In To One Dead One ??

marsh man

Yesterday I was shooting a few Pigeons on an old stubble field that had some unwanted grain from the grain store scattered over it , when I looked just after dinner there were all species of corvids , several Stock Doves and some Wood pigeons , I am no longer keen in shooting just corvids but I don't mind knocking the odd one down , as the afternoon wore on there were a few pigeons landing at the bottom of the field near the main road so to keep them on the move I had the odd shot at a Crow when one came past , one that I gave a shot carried on until it collapsed further down the field and laid there just as it fell .

Now it seemed nearly every Black corvid homed in on just this one bird , some were hovering like Hawks and others were swooping down to try and figure out what it was doing just laying there .

I have often seen pigeons ignoring a pattern and dropping into one that have planed out and is just laying in the field.

So it make you wonder why we go to all the bother putting putting everything out in regimental style with all the modern day inventions when all we need to do is chuck one out as if it have just fell from the sky and wait for the hordes to be drawn into range with this one bird .

Somehow I don't think we would have a lot of success  , but like I say , it make you wonder:lol:

29 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Had some good days using just one or two dead crows just chucked on the floor

There you go , all the Crow shooters need is one or two dead Crow decoys that are chucked on the deck and all the years of learning the right decoy pattern have been a total waste of time :yahoo:

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

shud have run out there and buffed it ip wiv sum bot polish...that wus have bought them in

(co-op at £4.75 smooth red...)

My running days are long gone Mr Ditchman , are yer talking about polish red wine from the co-op at nearly a fiver ☺️, as my shoe shine stuff comes from poundland :good:

8 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

DB had one of his best days on corvids using frozen decoys that we're all twisted. They had to come and have a look.

You must have seen it loads of times where a pigeon that planed out in the middle of the field is sometimes a bigger attraction to approaching pigeons than your own painstakingly set up .:hmm: