30-30 for deer

Green hornet

I had to pack in Deer Stalking when the kids arrived.

But my last deer rifle aquired was a Winchester 30/30, which I intended to use on woodland deer.

Unfortunately I never stalked with it but I shot it with a low powered scope, on full size Roe targets at 100 yards and it was well capable.

Edited by Robertt
Poor spilling

From watching them used on hunting/survival shows they are good as any other .30 cal of your under say 200 yards, I don’t believe they’re a fast / hot loaded cartridge and tend to throw heavy projectiles as a medium to low speed. 

Thing is you don’t need 3000+ FPS rounds when the animal is normally less than 100 yards from you.

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 19:00, Green hornet said:

Came across an old boy on one of my permissions that had a 30-30 he was using authorised for deer and fox thought it’s quite an unusual calibre to use.Does anyone on here use one for deer?

Yep, doesn't seem the most popular for deer in the UK, even though it does seem to fit the legal requirements.   

I guess that is simply because of its general popularity (or lack of it) and the better ammo selection of many other calibres!

Just guessing really!

2 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

People don't seem to like lever guns in this country. I personally have a lever action itch I want to scratch but fancy a 357 carbine for HAD and AOLQ. Don't think they come near deer legal but then I'd just take one of my deer rifles out if that was on the agenda.

Well, sort of yes!

After the pistol ban there was a big  (relatively) uptake of lever actions as several were/are based on pistol calibres.

It is fair to say that I don't see many in the field though, of any calibre!

:good:

30 30 is a more than capable deer round that ticks all the boxes needed to do the job in the uk, but it is generally in a leaver action and they don’t fit in with the Euro/ British idea of what is needed so unless there is some radical change in attitudes to such guns will not leap in popularity any day soon over here.

I would have one and feel that if all you want to do is hunt deer it will work great. Myself i am a 7mm fan anything in 30 i want it in 7mm preferably, and the 30 30 is no exeption, a Nice Marlin with a 730 waters rework would be one gun to keep in my opinion.

My dad used a Winchester under lever in .30-30 on the Whitetails when we lived in Canada. A very capable round.

I think perhaps over here in the UK it is possibly deemed old fashioned? Especially with it being an under lever as Fen tiger said. And go into a gun shop and see if they stock the ammo.

I have a model 94 trapper in .45 Colt and is excellent fun. One day I'd like one in .30-30.

When you have the ubiquitous 308 available in every shop which is a superior cartridge in every way to the 30-30, the 30-30 will be relegated to a niche cartridge for someone who that wants something different. I’d liken it to a 221 fireball vs 222/223.  It exists here and is good for what it is but it will never have a large following even if it is a great cartridge. 

Rick