Eyefor

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Has the dinner party season started already?

Try ringing round your local charity shops, that's where they end up here in Stamford!:good:

We have one, but her wot don't cook (at all, ever), won't let me steam sticks over it 😞

I'll try the charity shops. Good idea.

Couple on e.Bay but post /carriage makes them expensive.

The other "trick" is to get a wallpaper steamer and make a chamber up from a piece of downpipe and feed the steam in at one end and plug the far end.

How long do the sticks need to be steamed, minutes or hours?

Does the whole length of stick need to be enclosed?

What length of stick are you working on?

I've tried the wallpaper steamer but I haven't found a way to steam a selected (say) 15" - 18" section which requires straightening - only steam the whole 48" ish length so I thought, with a fish kettle on the BBQ, I can select the exact but to steam?

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The other "trick" is to get a wallpaper steamer and make a chamber up from a piece of downpipe and feed the steam in at one end and plug the far end.

How long do the sticks need to be steamed, minutes or hours?

Does the whole length of stick need to be enclosed?

What length of stick are you working on?

I did similar BUt made a hole in the capped end that will fit the diameter of the stick. Push stick in and through hole so 'moody section' is in chamber. Seal around hole with a wet towel, apply steam. BUT I have only ever straightened an end , never a centre section. Could always knock up a smaller pipe section,....just thinking about the next one as it's always better to have a plan in place

3 minutes ago, Diver One said:

I did similar BUt made a hole in the capped end that will fit the diameter of the stick. Push stick in and through hole so 'moody section' is in chamber. Seal around hole with a wet towel, apply steam. BUT I have only ever straightened an end , never a centre section. Could always knock up a smaller pipe section,....just thinking about the next one as it's always better to have a plan in place

To do the middle of a stick would take 2 holes!

That looks perfick TC.

I'd be grateful if you could drop it off on your way through the village but there's definitely no hurry.

Let me know what you want for it.

Many thanks.

Iain

10 hours ago, Zapp said:

I've got a hot blueing tank that would probably do.

Many thanks Zapp but TC has offered exactly what I was looking for. Once I've set it up (as below) let me know if you need any sticks straightening!

9 hours ago, Diver One said:

This is along the lines of what I was thinking - but two holes and feed the stick through.

Block holes, lid on, "Steam up"!!