Decking help

treetree

Hi, 

New house has an old decking that is past its best due to a lack of care. The wood is weathered and the old stain is patchy and flaking. 

Had a brainwave that I could save replacing (or pressure washing) and flip the boards. Did a couple and they are in great condition. Can decking boards be used either side? The reed side was up, the side I want to flip to has deeper and fewer grooves. Any reason I can't do this? 

Many thanks 

sounds like a plan...:good:

my only suggestion is ...do only 2 at a time.....decking by it nature is not always square....so if you take then all up in one go and they get mixed up ...you will have a devil of a job to get them back to look right....and use fresh screws..........

10 hours ago, treetree said:

Hi, 

New house has an old decking that is past its best due to a lack of care. The wood is weathered and the old stain is patchy and flaking. 

Had a brainwave that I could save replacing (or pressure washing) and flip the boards. Did a couple and they are in great condition. Can decking boards be used either side? The reed side was up, the side I want to flip to has deeper and fewer grooves. Any reason I can't do this? 

Many thanks 

Sounds like a good cheap option to turn them over one or two at a time. That way all you are spending is your time and while you are under there you can check the supporting framework is sound and possibly  preserve it as well.

Show us some pictures as you go.

I`ve had decking for about the best part of 20 years at the rear of my house, two year ago I had to replace a couple of boards that were showing signs of rot due to splitting, on inspection I decided to lift the lot and also replace a couple of supports that also had the first signs of rot, again due to splits. I`ve never used the dual faced boards as we need the grip from the deeper grooves to assits with traction in the winter.

Ronseal ultimate decking oil for me Dekers, for deck that`s already there, soak the wood and then powerwash or scrub manually, first with detergent then fresh water, leave to dry naturally for a day or two then apply.

WP_20170408_18_15_23_Pro.jpg

Edited by henry d
Addition of photo

38 minutes ago, henry d said:

I`ve had decking for about the best part of 20 years at the rear of my house, two year ago I had to replace a couple of boards that were showing signs of rot due to splitting, on inspection I decided to lift the lot and also replace a couple of supports that also had the first signs of rot, again due to splits. I`ve never used the dual faced boards as we need the grip from the deeper grooves to assits with traction in the winter.

Ronseal ultimate decking oil for me Dekers, for deck that`s already there, soak the wood and then powerwash or scrub manually, first with detergent then fresh water, leave to dry naturally for a day or two then apply.

WP_20170408_18_15_23_Pro.jpg

Cheers

engine oil for outside wood treatment for me. 

Let wood dry out a bit then nice hot day and lash on new cheap multigrade engine oil thickly. it soaks in quite quickly after a hour or so. Redo after a month and it should never need doing again.