Anyone done a river cruise?

markm

I have done several in various countries , including Rhine/ Mosel, ships are almost all converted coal barges food nothing special, the rivers are filthy and black, and the vistas are better on the Manchester ship canal. The famous Laurali rock is tiny and the castles on the Rhine are only atop some very small hillocks at the riverside,. The Nile is a thousand times more interesting, and not that much dearer. You will not come back without  dozens of wonderful memories, food wise just watch what you eat and try to eat very well cooked stuff.. No ice in drinks and check your water bottles are sealed and you open them your self. If you can afford a bit more your take a trip up the Norwegian  Ffyords on the Hurtigruton a real travel experience.If you really want to push the boat out and well worth saving up for, atrip on The Delta Queen, up the Tennesy, Cumberland , Mississippi river. This has the best food in the world and is the only overnight authentic paddleboat steamer with a steam organ pumping out  coloured bubbles from the steam pipes in the evening. A truely classic trip. from Auntie.

Thanks for the replies so far. Done the Nile from Luxor a long time ago, not interested in going back. 

Been in the med for 10 nights and done the carribean for 4 nights a long time ago. 

The mrs fancies Alaska, just wondered about rivers, but it’s not being sold to me. 

On 26/03/2019 at 06:15, markm said:

Thanks for the replies so far. Done the Nile from Luxor a long time ago, not interested in going back. 

Been in the med for 10 nights and done the carribean for 4 nights a long time ago. 

The mrs fancies Alaska, just wondered about rivers, but it’s not being sold to me. 

My parents have done the inshore Alaska cruise twice. Amazing they said.