Catalogue bought Air rifles 1970’s

rayo

Must have been about 1974  when we were 14/ 15 yrs old my parents bought me and my brother a Relum Tornado each for Xmas from a mail order catalogue , all of our mates at the time also had air rifles so many a hour was spent plinking and shooting rats on the local tip . No one in authority seemed to mind and just let us get on with it 

In them days it was a case of buying 200 marksman/milbro pellets and we were away for the day  with open sights now I’d be lost trying to shoot without a scope 😂

Happy days 

Edited by rayo

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

My first air rifle.....also a Relum Tornado came from my mans catalogue.....14th birthday back in 1980. Came with some pellets, darts and targets. 

That rings a bell....I'm sure I got my relum from a catalogue supplier.

Then I found the webley valcan and the el-gamo....spring and a half,could do a rabbit 100yrds

The "vulcan" would not "do" a balloon at a spitting distance. Catalogues sold mainly awful guns that dealers could not sell - the fact that you could pay weekly was the selling point. The Paratrooper (el gammy) Jaguar, Hawk with or without the 2 barrels, Osprey, Meteor, both Relums (t200 and Tornado) were all available along with Baikal and Franchi snotguns - a complete selection of metallic carp.

13 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

The "vulcan" would not "do" a balloon at a spitting distance. Catalogues sold mainly awful guns that dealers could not sell - the fact that you could pay weekly was the selling point. The Paratrooper (el gammy) Jaguar, Hawk with or without the 2 barrels, Osprey, Meteor, both Relums (t200 and Tornado) were all available along with Baikal and Franchi snotguns - a complete selection of metallic carp.

Don't know why your so anti Vulcan? A decent gun for the 80's.

4 hours ago, stumfelter said:

Don't know why your so anti Vulcan? A decent gun for the 80's.

A .22 vulcan was my first serious hunting air rifle when i was a teenager. Certainly accounted for dozens of rabbits until the barrel worked slightly loose in the breech some years later and accuracy seriously suffered. A known problem with these rifles I believe.

I also thought the first Vulcan was a decent bit of kit...perhaps not by today’s standards, but the one my mate had in .22  certainly didn’t seem short on power. 

The other catalogue classic I remember was the ASI Sniper or for an extra 15p a week the ASI Statical

Vulcan a decent rifle for the 80's? The HW80 was out there and was in a different league - the birth of the 80 was world changing - it taught the English Airgun manufacturers a valuable lesson in quality and precision, it changed the Americans opinion on Airguns as a viable hunting tool and thus became an icon - well sorted ones will still give modern guns a run for their money. 

17 hours ago, washerboy said:

I craved for a Webley tracker, twenty five years later I got to try one and was so disappointed. Great looking gun but truly awful trigger and clunky internals 

I had a tracker, nice gun but it destroyed a couple of scopes, good around the farm yard.

19 hours ago, Iggy said:

I also thought the first Vulcan was a decent bit of kit...perhaps not by today’s standards, but the one my mate had in .22  certainly didn’t seem short on power. 

The other catalogue classic I remember was the ASI Sniper or for an extra 15p a week the ASI Statical

First "rifle" ASI Sniper ,click wait for it ,wait for it ting as it finally hit the can 3 weeks later ,more power in a wet trump but aged 14 u didnt care .My mate Tim had rich parents a B.S.A meteour sheer jealousy from us all 

You had the power to knock tin cans off the fence ,ahh the good old days T.B , Rickets and gout :lol: