Labradoodle.

The Heron

My wife and I would like to have a Labradoodle dog  preferably a golden type, one  of the reasons for this type of dog is that I suffer from asthma so we can only have very short haired dogs or the doodle cross dogs we have no idea where to start as to finding a reputable breeder etc as we have seen many horror stories about puppy farms so if anyone can help with information, recommendations it would be most appreciated.   

Difficult question & answer: 

will you find a reputable breeder? 

- the origin of the dog is that it’s a non-registered breed that’s two other breeds thrown together. Often the cross pups (which you don’t need to pay to register etc) are more expensive that a well bred registered dog ... work that one out. 

Personally for me, this would make it difficult to find a ‘reputable breeder’ ...

What you will find is that it’s also difficult to find one that’s from working lines or background, probably for the reasons above. Therefore the breeder is very likely to have thrown together two pets dogs, they’re unlikely to have picked two dogs who are good workers etc, and possibly just used whichever poodle they have the closest to them ... 

Now some people will be ‘breed fanciers’ and putting pups out not as puppy farmers, but because they like the breed perhaps... if you MUST have one you obviously want one from these types of homes... 

I would also be aware that I don’t think there is a guarantee that the dog won’t shed or mould and you should be careful if choosing the dog based off this. 

Most importantly... what do you want the dog to do? If it’s a pet, or even a dog to do a bit of retrieving... the standard required for that isn’t that high and you could probably train almost any breed for that role. Both labs and poodle are sharp whitted and easily trained to a degree, so whilst not from working stock, they SHOULD be able to do a bit. 

Now if your expecting the dog to be a full blown worker doing some more complex stuff, I would really consider it. It’s not to say you can’t train any dog to work, but it’s a damn sight easier with the right dog. 

Also I would be aware that every Labradoodle I’ve seen is massive, big tall and big framed dogs. 

They seem to throw big. Just be aware of size if you think it’ll be the size of a small working lab, because all the ones I’ve seen are much bigger. 

8 hours ago, The Heron said:

My wife and I would like to have a Labradoodle dog  preferably a golden type, one  of the reasons for this type of dog is that I suffer from asthma so we can only have very short haired dogs or the doodle cross dogs we have no idea where to start as to finding a reputable breeder etc as we have seen many horror stories about puppy farms so if anyone can help with information, recommendations it would be most appreciated.   

hello, my son has a lovely cockerdoodle puppy, he took ages to find a reputable breeder, went to their home to see the puppies and parents, then again to choose which one, then back after a month or so, and finally to take home, all with the right paperwork, mizzy is lovely and growing fast, good luck with your quest

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, my son has a lovely cockerdoodle puppy, he took ages to find a reputable breeder, went to their home to see the puppies and parents, then again to choose which one, then back after a month or so, and finally to take home, all with the right paperwork, mizzy is lovely and growing fast, good luck with your quest

Considering they can’t be registered, what exactly is the ‘right paperwork’? 

Not having a pop, but if someone is an inexperienced etc, they shouldn’t be deceived or misunderstand things by being told ‘don’t worry, the dog comes with all the right paperwork’. 

When buying a shooting dog / pup ‘the right paperwork’ refers to the kennel club documentation, and for spaniels the docking certificate to show it’s all legal. 

With a cross there is no KC paperwork, so it’ could be any old piece of paper ... 

I've had to Google Cockerdoodle as I'm not sure what one is!

I've got a Cockerpoo and he certainly doesn't have any `paperwork` but you might be referring to jabs etc. After all, he is a mongrel (just don't tell him to his face).

I agree with Lloyd - it depends how you define reputable. Not saying there aren't good people out there but it's not as easy with X-breeds as the formal registration processes do not exist.

All of my dogs have come via personal recommendations and reputation, which by default makes those people `reputable` (in my book anyway). No sustitute for personal experience.

There will various forums and owners groups where you should be able to get some sensible advice. I even ask people when I meet them where they go their dogs from. 

PS - our cockerpoo does not shed hair, but he seems to create a lot of dust. A fine layer of it on the kitchen surfaces - every day.

Not all of the poodle crosses will have the non allergenic coat. It's not unusual for owners of breeding bitches to have a litter of crosses once the bitch is finished with its 'full breed' litters. KC rules only allow so many breed litters before a bitch is finished for pedigree pups. 

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello,  reference the paperwork i would presume jabs or health certificates as i do know about a registered breed having had a pure bred working spaniel many years,  his cockerpoo came from an approved CCGB breeder, as dave mention pets4homes seems a good start 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Not all of the poodle crosses will have the non allergenic coat. It's not unusual for owners of breeding bitches to have a litter of crosses once the bitch is finished with its 'full breed' litters. KC rules only allow so many breed litters before a bitch is finished for pedigree pups. 

Yes I friend of mine bought one as a family pet and his wasn't a non allergy cross 

• 3 months later...