AYA No 1s

gibby

Good morning all, 

I've picked up a pair of AYA No 1s but can't quite figure out the engraving on them. They are certainly a lot better engraved than the standard no 1s, but don't match the De Luxes I have seen. AYA cant confirm if this is how they left the factory or if they have had any additional engraving done. Any thoughts?

Gibby

AYA.png

I dont see any one re engraving a pair  unless it was an engravers own guns .

AyA did make a number of guns for different markets  that did not automaticaly fall into the "normal " range of models  , some of which ended up in the UK . They could have been special orders  .

The work looks to have been well executed and I assume they ate named on the action bottoms . 

The look like the style of engraving the German market prefers.

Nice and bold and would look nice from ten yards, unlike a lot of expensive sxs guns where unless you have a jewelers loupe you can't see all the engraving due to it being light and intricate.

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

I dont see any one re engraving a pair  unless it was an engravers own guns .

AyA did make a number of guns for different markets  that did not automaticaly fall into the "normal " range of models  , some of which ended up in the UK . They could have been special orders  .

The work looks to have been well executed and I assume they ate named on the action bottoms . 

They are engraved with Aguirre Y Aranzabel Eibar on the bottom of the action, yes. 

Was that the pair at Vaynol gunroom? I saw them and thought the same and in fact seen another number 1 today and was going to ask a similar question

Maybe drop Carmen@Aya quoting the serial numbers and they may be able to tell you the order details

Beautiful guns BTW, enjoy

18 hours ago, figgy said:

The look like the style of engraving the German market prefers.

AyA do some Merkel 'lookalikes', the model 37, which is a Merkel 303 'clone' with underbolts and Kersten bolts, and model Augusta, which doesn't have the Kersten bolts, just the under bolts.  Both these have used this style of engraving, which is very reminiscent of that used on Merkel 203 and 303 models.

All upmarket AyAs can be customised to order I believe.  They look very nice guns.

8 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I saw a pair at the weekend with less bold engraving.

I prefer yours!!

The 'standard' engraving was a 'Purdey style" rose and scroll, nicely done, but not as well done as a 'best English' (in my view).  More recently there has been a 'delux' version with bolder and better grade engraving (but at a higher price).  I have read that this may be done in the UK, but don't know if that is correct or not.   There is also now a model Imperial which has finer rose and scroll as standard and is priced above No 1 and variants.

It has always been possible to have engraving 'to order'.

11 hours ago, DUNKS said:

BOOTIFUL How old are they? They look to be in excellent condition!

1977. Fantastic condition. Shot them on the weekend, will get them cleaned tonight and some more detailed photos up.

Gibby

15 hours ago, button said:

Was that the pair at Vaynol gunroom? I saw them and thought the same and in fact seen another number 1 today and was going to ask a similar question

Maybe drop Carmen@Aya quoting the serial numbers and they may be able to tell you the order details

Beautiful guns BTW, enjoy

It was the pair from Keith. 

I've emailed them and all they could give me was the year unfortunately. 

Gibby

1 minute ago, gibby said:

1977. Fantastic condition.

Mine (plain basic No 1) is also 1977, s/n 5166XX.  These are 'pre Diarm' (early 1980s) when AyA was still family run by the Arranzabal family.  (It was back in the family again but as a smaller company 'post Diarm').