Any builders on here please ?

misser

Hi...have got an old shed at the back of the house which is rotten and is coming down in the next few weeks...was looking at replacing with a single skin brick pent roof lean to (against next doors much taller wall)....dimensions would be approx. 15ft long by 7ft wide by 7ft high....just want as basic as possible to store lawn mover garden tools etc, assume would need concrete base in..I have no idea as to price for the job or how much concrete would need...am going to get some ball park quotes but am dreading it as don't want to show too much lack of knowledge and get fleeced...any comments or ball park figures for the cost of such would be much appreciated....thanks...atb….misser 

Edited by misser

hi ultrastu... its a dividing wall it does appear to come over my boundary by an inch or so so assumed it was ok to build onto it, there has at some stage been a structure there as some stage it has been removed, thanks for pointing this out I just assumed it was ok...might have to look at it further..will try and put a pic up...thanks....atb….misser  

Managed to upload pic of the proposed location.. it's a bit of a non descript damp corner. .atb .misser

IMG_20190325_161525.jpg

thanks for the replies...am going to have a word with the neighbour and as walshie could build a back wall as well...thanks...atb...misser

If you did want to build using that wall as part of the building then you'd come under the Party Wall Act, which would entail a fair bit of expense (legal fees, surveyor, etc) if done properly - and I'd imagine any neighbour would insist on it all being done properly.

Alternatively, as others have said, a levelled area and a shed - with enough space to get between the shed and the wall for clearing leaves, etc.

Would it be possible to do a lean to with a timber frame and a corrugated roof with paving slabs for a floor ? , if any problems at any time with the neighbour you could then dismantle the framework to bring it back to the original wall , no need for footings or a concrete base and something you could possibly do yourself  .  

42 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Would it be possible to do a lean to with a timber frame and a corrugated roof with paving slabs for a floor ? , if any problems at any time with the neighbour you could then dismantle the framework to bring it back to the original wall , no need for footings or a concrete base and something you could possibly do yourself  .  

The problem would be the butting upto. 

If it wasn’t fixed you would get water leaking in from the wall unless you got some thick foam and butted it right up using that as a seal

or get a summer house type affair

Edited by ph5172

Thanks gents for the comprehensive replies...never heard of the party wall act , but I have now....might be back to the drawing board..that's the beauty of the forum, a wealth of knowledge and experience...thanks again gents...atb....misser

the picture supplied no problem as half of said wall is yours    cast a floor slab with 12mm expansion joint (flexcel or foam helps to set your levels where not shuttered) to yours and neighbours / party wall or use sharp sand  and  gannet slabs for floor  use thermalite block walls  and waterproof render or bricks insulated inside if you wish or  timber frame for your walls and cut a lead weather proof joint into party wall / your wall and stack to weather proof the roof       don't over think this as a shed / temporary building    also  less than thirty m sq floor area does not comply to building regs and if memory serves less than 3.0m to ridge or 4m cant remember to the  highest roof point  again does not comply a lot of regs on line are all about permanent dwellings kitchen extensions not temporary buildings / sheds  a two  bed log cabin granny flat  in your back garden comes in the category of a temporary building build your man cave and enjoy you don't have to inform the neighbours as you are not doing any demolition that affects them your cutting a brick joint out to put lead in and repoint on your side        all the best  build what you want        don't forget pot belly  stove for a proper man cave

Edited by Saltings

You really need to review the party wall act as said above. It covers party walls between buildings and on boundaries e.g garden walls.

I don't think its always given that half the wall is yours, it might be your neighbours. You might want to check your land registry map, it will show you who's responsible for the upkeep of the boundary wall. If it was me I and I wanted to build a structure there I would be notifying the neighbour under the terms of the Party Wall act or just buy a timber shed and build it next to the wall.