Every Day Is Still........

wymberley

......a school-day even when you're just a few days short of your three parts of a century. The first thing that struck me is that it looked just like the back of the action on my AyA - scalloped - when for the first time ever as far as I can recall I saw a comma butterfly sunbathing on a fence. Hadn't a clue what it was and had to look it up when I got back in from walking the dog. They're becoming more common apparently.

That's one of the things I love about being a countryman, always something new to see.

Last Christmas my sister gave me a wonderfully illustrated book called 'The Lost Words' by Robert Macfarlane and Jackie Morris.

Each of the illustrations contain a word that they say is being lost from many children's vocabulary because they spend so little time outside and no longer take a countryside ramble in the spring to see the signs of new life after winter.

Words such as acorn, adder, bluebell, bramble, conker, fern, heather, kingfisher, otter, raven, willow, wren.

Catkin, violet, primrose, moorhen (or moggy as we called them) are words I remeber learning as a child.