reloading .410

1 hour ago, humperdingle said:

Are there any good online suppliers of powder, shot, primers etc? Can’t seem to find any local stockists 😞

The difficulty is in shipping costs and retrictions.  Managed to pick up some #7 shot this last week on special order but still had to drive 50 miles to get it.

The few I loaded last night and tested this morning weren't subsonic.

Pulled the bolt out after every shot to check it was clear and there was a lot of powder residue.

All fed/fired and ejected though.

back to the drawing board.

reduce the powder in slight increments until I find the "sweet load"

On a plus I bowled a bunnie over with 1 of the "home rolled"

Using similar equipment to sandspider.

I think in full production I can make 10/12 carts an hour 👍

2 hours ago, gotgcoalman said:

Pulled the bolt out after every shot to check it was clear and there was a lot of powder residue.

If you are using SP3, there is always going to be unburnt powder as it is designed to cope with 40,000psi and we are only using it at 11000psi to 12000psi. Reducing the powder will simply bring you subsonic and lower pressure, you will still have unburned powder.

20 hours ago, Stonepark said:

If you are using SP3, there is always going to be unburnt powder as it is designed to cope with 40,000psi and we are only using it at 11000psi to 12000psi. Reducing the powder will simply bring you subsonic and lower pressure, you will still have unburned powder.

With  Win 571 & HS7 loads in the lead days i used to use Federal 209as and compress the wad 90lbs to try and reduce some of this, it did work improving things but it did not stop it totally, with .410 its a small charge and you might be able to reduce the typical charge by a grain or so with the hotter primer this could potentially be a significant improvement with respect of the powder burn could be worth a try.

On 18/04/2019 at 17:11, gotgcoalman said:

Should be able to knock them up way faster than that.. I can do 60 an hour comfortably, but then I don't bother with used cases, so a bit of time saved on sizing and priming. But as long as you're enjoying yourself thats all that matters👍 

I use FES data, but not the subsonic load. The noise level through my Hushpower is no different from an Eley 3" subsonic, but the are much more effective down range. 

So rather than load the .8 gram I'll try the slightly smaller charge of 12 grains.

New scales arrived today as I suspected the old ones had gone a bit squiffy after I sat on them.

Interesting thing is the modified pat pending "Walker free dipper" does scoop a .8 powder charge with the insert I made and 19 grams of #5 with it removed.

IMG_20190420_164523.jpg

38 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

You do know your hooked, don't you:yes::good:

Yep. The little gun I'd always associated as being for kids is my go to now.

reducing the powder to get a sub load using the wrong primers is what I'm trying to acheive.

Good to know that barrel fouling is normal with Sp3👍

Getting 90lbs of pressure might be a bit hit or miss at the moment as I'm using a hand loading die "caveman style" bash it with a rock type thing at the moment.

yep 10/12 an hour is pants.Although I have to de prime/size and prime by hand (using a bashing device)

weigh powder,insert wadding then weigh shot and decant it in to the case.(due to a few misshaps with shot the hoover needs attention now)

Then I have to go "out the back" where the pillar drill lives to do the RTO.

The RTO can take 30 seconds (don't want to make a fubar after all the time spent doing the rest)

I'm looking to modify one of those "clamp the black and decker" type drill presses to aid the de prime/prime and compress wad process.

So tested the 12 grain loads and.......

Not subsonic.🙁

Dropped  powder 11.8 grain.

About 1/2 grain less than the recipie on the FES websie.

Loaded 3" cases  with 19 g of #5 and some 2 1/2" with 15 g #5.Cx2000 primer used (couldn't get 615's)

2mm over powder,12mm cushion wad,over shot card and RTO.

I'll test these tomorrow.

1 hour ago, gotgcoalman said:

So tested the 12 grain loads and.......

Not subsonic.🙁

Dropped  powder 11.8 grain.

About 1/2 grain less than the recipie on the FES websie.

Loaded 3" cases  with 19 g of #5 and some 2 1/2" with 15 g #5.Cx2000 primer used (couldn't get 615's)

2mm over powder,12mm cushion wad,over shot card and RTO.

I'll test these tomorrow.

Did you chronograph the 12 grain loads? How did you know they were supersonic.

I think from memory, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you have popped an add on moderator on your 410, and its not the full Hushpower conversion? You might be expecting more from the moderator than it can deliver.

The data you are using is a sub load with 12.3grns as published by FES. Dropping the charge might not be a sensible idea. 410's as I'm sure you are aware, are a noisy round and unless you have access to a chrono, you won't have any idea where you are going, other than staying safely with published data.

I have a Baikal Hushpower, and the FES data of 15grains isn't suggested as a subsonic round. Yet, there is no discernible noise increase over an Eley sub, either from my end or the noise heard further away. I stick with this data as its extremely effective.

Have you tried some Eley subs through it to compare the difference?

Hope this helps.

Not tried the eley subs.

Yep it's the huspower add on 9" jobbie.

It does quieten the eley extra long to a decent extent.

Spoke to John at FES and explained  the primers weren't as in his recipie.

He assured me due to the sub load the gun wouldn't blow up although the primers being "hot" might take me

over the 1050fps and to lower the powder charge to compensate.

I'll test this load tomorrow for penetration.Can't do a pattern test (forgot to get some pound shop lining paper)

You'll all be pleased to know the hoover has made a full recovery after shot "balled up in the funnel neck" and ended on the floor.

*** it wont go down the tube,but the second you pull the funnel out it frees off and dumps shot all over the floor.

I'm not expecting Hollywood quiet.

On 22/04/2019 at 21:20, gotgcoalman said:

Not tried the eley subs.

Yep it's the huspower add on 9" jobbie.

It does quieten the eley extra long to a decent extent.

Spoke to John at FES and explained  the primers weren't as in his recipie.

He assured me due to the sub load the gun wouldn't blow up although the primers being "hot" might take me

over the 1050fps and to lower the powder charge to compensate.

I'll test this load tomorrow for penetration.Can't do a pattern test (forgot to get some pound shop lining paper)

You'll all be pleased to know the hoover has made a full recovery after shot "balled up in the funnel neck" and ended on the floor.

*** it wont go down the tube,but the second you pull the funnel out it frees off and dumps shot all over the floor.

I'm not expecting Hollywood quiet.

I think I did mention this problem some time ago. I weigh every load on the scales and pour it in, it is a lot quicker than hoovering it all up off the floor:good: