Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
walshie

Speed Awareness Course

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Do you know what the rule is for a pick up on an unrestricted country road. Is it the same as for cars? 

I know this one. If it's a double cab, it's classed as a "dual-purpose vehicle" and subject to the same speed limits as cars. If it's a single cab, it's the same regulations as a light goods vehicle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, walshie said:

I know this one. If it's a double cab, it's classed as a "dual-purpose vehicle" and subject to the same speed limits as cars. If it's a single cab, it's the same regulations as a light goods vehicle. 

Thanks for that. The people on my course did not know and were on about something to do with the weight. M8ne is a dbl cab. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andrewluke said:

so you happened to get caught the first time you went over the speed limit:hmm:

Yes, is the answer to that question.  I am a stickler for keeping to speed limits, they are there for a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, is the answer to that question.  I am a stickler for keeping to speed limits, they are there for a reason.

you must be the unluckiest man on the planet😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Done the course twice - if you learn anything from the course then you shouldn't really be on the road - it's common sense but the braking distances are way out in regard to modern cars. Both my crimes were for 34 in a 30 - my speedo needle covers that amount - ultimately its still a money spinner - pretty sure the police get a claw back of the monies paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, oowee said:

Thanks for that. The people on my course did not know and were on about something to do with the weight. M8ne is a dbl cab. 

It is something to do with the weight it can carry also, but all modern double cabs fall within the criteria.

Edited by walshie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/03/2019 at 13:37, walshie said:

I thought going 5mph or 16% over the limit (not 18% as suggested by our sanctimonious friend) was very low to get a prosecution.

During my course in Jan this year, the instructor questioned us on how much over the legal limit each of us been. While I was 8 mph over the limit which was about average for the 20 or so culprits attending, one lady driver was clocked at 32 mph ! The instructer was pleased to find such a figure and used it to dispel the mythe that some forces allow a leeway of 10 to 12%.

She said she felt pretty hard done by to find herself with all the other hardened criminals who were well over which raised a laugh all round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, walshie said:

I know this one. If it's a double cab, it's classed as a "dual-purpose vehicle" and subject to the same speed limits as cars. If it's a single cab, it's the same regulations as a light goods vehicle. 

Post a copy of that legislation if you can find it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Done the course twice - if you learn anything from the course then you shouldn't really be on the road - it's common sense but the braking distances are way out in regard to modern cars. Both my crimes were for 34 in a 30 - my speedo needle covers that amount - ultimately its still a money spinner - pretty sure the police get a claw back of the monies paid.

Sorry mate,I'm not being funny but that's a daft statement to make 'If you learn anything from the course then you shouldn't be on the road' 

So if you already know what  the impact an extra 5mph can have.Why did you get done a second time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Swinton said:

If you don’t speed you don’t get caught .then you don’t need the course .

 

And there we have it, that is "house" on my forum bingo card.

The point of a discussion, such as this is to challenge and discuss.

So, what if the government tomorrow passed a law and made the "legal" speed limit 10 mph everywhere? Would you crow that anyone who broke that limit "shouldn't do the crime, if they can't do the time" or might you pause,  question, reflect and discuss:

1. the imposition of a 10 mph limit as being irrationally low

2. the systematic criminalisation and over fining of the motorist 

3. the driving rules and regimes of other countries e.g. the no limit autobahn in Germany or the French variable limit of 80 mph in the dry and 50 mph in the rain?

4. the wider policing strategies where we have millions spent on the police going after drivers and journalists who listen to non pin protected voicemails and yet everyday people are being stabbed on our streets.

5. the actual effectiveness vis. the immediacy of "getting people" 2 weeks later, by post and long after the offence / event

And lastly I would add that I don't have any points on my licence and I have never been on or been invited to a speed awareness course.

 

 

15 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Sorry mate,I'm not being funny but that's a daft statement to make 'If you learn anything from the course then you shouldn't be on the road' 

So if you already know what  the impact an extra 5mph can have.Why did you get done a second time?

Because it is genuinely impossible to drive at under 35 mph on the roads and anyone who says otherwise is off with the fairies or routinely hooted and overtaken on an hourly basis :lol:

Indeed, are you now volunteering yourself as someone who *never* speeds and so presumably someone who will *never* get another fine, set of points or speed awareness course?

 

Edited by Mungler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No i don't Davyo - but its different if you are on a Moped than if you are in a Truck isn't it? Why do they not mention that? My "offences" were almost 3 years apart - first was coming into our village where they were gong to build a new School - the 30 sign was put up 2 years before building work even started - it's about 500 yards from the start of the village in the middle of nowhere. Second was entering/leaving a roundabout on a day when Silverstone was hosting an F1 race - traffic was fast and furious so you had to be quick on the gas as soon as a space appeared - as I came off the roundabout I was still doing over 30 despite taking my foot off the pedal but once nearly 3 tons of car are moving they don't lose speed very quickly. That would have been my defence in court but the courses are always a laugh  - courts are far more serious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say some of the stuff being said in here is thoroughly amusing! 

 

For the person that was asking about pick ups and limits, some reading for you. Makes for some interesting reading (if that’s your thing) 

the short version of what you will discover is NOT ALL dual purpose vehicles can do the higher limits and are actually governed by the lower commercial vehicle limits 

 

http://pickupand4x4.co.uk/pickup-truck-speed-limits

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/c

ar-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, andrewluke said:

you must be the unluckiest man on the planet😉

As far as driving is concerned, yes.  The very few bumps I have had in sixty one years of driving both pleasure and professionally, some on two wheels have always been the fault of the other driver or mechanical failure.  I am VERY thankful that in my early 20s I had the advantage of two periods at the Stafford Police Driver Training School, car and motorcycle and even today it saves my life so many times as that training is in your blood for ever.   My wife was similarly trained on the cars and even today we will both chirp up...One to watch!! as some idot makes a move ahead of us.  We tend to see things that other drivers don't and well ahead.

Unfortunately, that speeding fine was as a result of my training as we were taught to not brake into danger. I just accelerated out of danger just enough to trigger that speed camera before returning to 30mph.  

Edited by Walker570

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Browsed through, can't be bothered with most of it.

The one thing that does amuse me is that walshie feels being 'only' 16% above the limit is trivial.

Maybe he should be forced to overload a homeload by 16% over the max, see if he feels that is 'trivial' when he's about to pull the trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, robbiep said:

Browsed through, can't be bothered with most of it.

The one thing that does amuse me is that walshie feels being 'only' 16% above the limit is trivial.

Maybe he should be forced to overload a homeload by 16% over the max, see if he feels that is 'trivial' when he's about to pull the trigger.

Yes, that’s a truly brilliant comparison to driving at 35 mph in a 30 mph limit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow. The holier-than-thous on this thread would make me laugh if they weren't so self righteous and pathetic. Anyone who says they have never crept over the limit is either a liar or doesn't drive. I drove at 35 in a 30 get over it and get over yourselves.  Part of the reason I even started this thread was to see who would come along pointing the finger of damnation at me and/or telling me I'd lose my FAC, and you didn't disappoint. :lol: Whoever said they were amused by me driving 5mph over the limit - not as amused as I am by your stupid comment.

Oowee...ignore whoever it was trying to overcomplicate things as usual. Stupid as I am for flaunting the law in such a despicable manner and behaving so reprehensibly and immorally I can still read and what I said still stands. 

And to everyone who pmd me regarding the righteous knowalls - thank you. Yes, I know they are. :good:

Edited by walshie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Yes, that’s a truly brilliant comparison to driving at 35 mph in a 30 mph limit. 

Yes, it is. It's 16% over the maximum that has been determined to be safe.

Just like a speed limit. 

So it's exactly the same.

I don't claim to be perfect. Anyone who says they never speed usually then go "but ...". 

But for Walshie to basically go "I shouldn't be getting done for this, it's ridiculous", is just self-righteous claptrap.

Simple facts:

Pedestrian struck by car at 30, chance of death or of serious injury (requiring a stay in hospital, not treatment and out the same day) : 40%

Struck by car doing 35, chance of death or serious injury : 66%

But hey, who gives a ****, huh ?

Oh wait. Those of us who work in the hospitals do. Because we see that in A+E, ICU, Physio, etc. every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, robbiep said:

Pedestrian struck by car at 30, chance of death or of serious injury (requiring a stay in hospital, not treatment and out the same day)

But that’s not going to happen for me, you see I don’t drive on the pavements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, robbiep said:

Yes, it is. It's 16% over the maximum that has been determined to be safe.

Just like a speed limit. 

So it's exactly the same.

I don't claim to be perfect. Anyone who says they never speed usually then go "but ...". 

But for Walshie to basically go "I shouldn't be getting done for this, it's ridiculous", is just self-righteous claptrap.

Simple facts:

Pedestrian struck by car at 30, chance of death or of serious injury (requiring a stay in hospital, not treatment and out the same day) : 40%

Struck by car doing 35, chance of death or serious injury : 66%

But hey, who gives a ****, huh ?

Oh wait. Those of us who work in the hospitals do. Because we see that in A+E, ICU, Physio, etc. every day.

Get a different job then if you can't handle it.  While it's laudible you do a job like that, it does not give you the right to lecture people on their driving.

Thank you for paraphrasing me saying "35 mph is very low to get a prosecution" into "I shouldn't be getting done - it's ridiculous". Sorry, did I say paraphrasing? I meant completely fabricating.

I'd like to know the sources for your "simple facts" as they aren't the same as were mentioned on the course. I'd like to think they are more accurate than your recollection of what I said

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Walshie, my pomposity meter keeps going off!:rolleyes:

You put your head above the parapet and someone will tell you off.:no:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Hey Walshie, my pomposity meter keeps going off!

You put your head above the parapet and someone will tell you off.

My pomposity meter has exploded and my "oh for god's sake" meter has been round the clock twice. I'm lying low till these internet bullies find someone else they can lecture with their expertise. :cry1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100 mph on a very straight dual carriageway at 5am and i got 3 points and a fine, 150 mph on a very straight road midday and i got no points and past a police car, different countries with different ideas on what is appropriate speed.
The dual carriage way where i got fined was probably the better road .

I tend to try and not put my foot down these days, to many cameras out there.

As my boss on my driving instructors course once told me, "it's better to arrive 5 mins late in this life than 5 mins early in the next"


Speed doesn't kill it's the sudden stop that does it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...