Middle of the night thoughts...

Eyefor

4 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

No, not volumes, it is mass that counts.  The volume of displaced fluid has a MASS the same as that of the object.  The volume displaced is only ever equal the volume of the object when it sinks (hence the Eureka moment when Archimedes worked out how to tell if a crown was made of gold or not by being able to calculate the volume of an irregular object.  Having the volume and the weight (mass) meant he could get the density, therefore he could compare the crown's density to the known density of gold).

RS

Something for you to consider!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, henry d said:

Are you sure? If it melts it does not shrink to the exact size of the displaced water as the displaced water is just the size of the ice under the water level and not the amount above the water.

Exactly, the floating cap will make no difference to sea level purely by melting. The one on land however melts, runs off the land and into the sea and does raise the level. 

Both issues being far less significant though than other related factors causing sea levels to rise. 

7 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

These being  ......?

RS

If I remember rightly the expansion caused by warming in general. Water at 10 degrees takes up more space than at 5 degrees etc, so warming the whole sea raises the level. Melting the ice caps also reduces energy reflected back into space increasing the rate of warming. 

If ocean warming, caused  by us (or any mechanism) were in action now, then there would have been an increase "in the rate" of increase of sea level rise over and above the whole "leaving an ice age" rate.  But, as I posted the graph earlier, there is no increase, so nothing has changed. 

OR

Glaciers are no longer melting, but thermal expansion has now taken over.

That was convenient wasn't it?

RS

There is however a glacier (can`t remember where I read it) that has started to grow again after years of receding, so it isn`t all cut and dried. I`ve also read about a thing called global dimming and the guy posting about it was convinced we have passed the point of no return, he seemed quite upset about that and a whole lot of other environmental issues.

Just now, henry d said:

There is however a glacier (can`t remember where I read it) that has started to grow again after years of receding, so it isn`t all cut and dried. I`ve also read about a thing called global dimming and the guy posting about it was convinced we have passed the point of no return, he seemed quite upset about that and a whole lot of other environmental issues.

Global dimming as in the rise of stupid?

3 hours ago, henry d said:

Absolutely, most to be found discussing brexit and getting righteously angry and not able to do faff all about it

The only people seemingly getting angry about it are the ardent Brexiteers - some of the discussions have been quite thought provoking and it's enlightening to get into the minds of people with similar backgrounds holding views which are poles apart - especially when the views are well articulated. Sorry we're going off topic here, I'll stop.