Glasses for driving

washerboy

I have been wearing glasses for about 7 or 8 years, at first only for driving as I was told by an optician I needed to, I keep them on all the time as I need them except when I'm reading up close etc. 

My question is if the optician tells me I must use glasses for driving do they tell the dvla. Reason I ask is a lad at work refuces to drive plant machinery because he has been told he needs glasses to drive but doesn't want to wear them. He will be forced to or risk losing his job as he needs to drive safely on site. Yet he blatantly say he can drive his car on the road and nothing can be done 

You are meant to inform DVLA if you have a reduction in vision. The basic roadside test would be a number plate at 20m. 

If you inform dvla you require corrected vision you licence will show code 01 - this usually appears if it’s been picked up on a medical for HGV and the like or you have been honest with DVLA

if I recall the minimum standard is 6/12 and certain fields of vision angles

I have known of 1 person who an optician informed DVLA that the patient was driving and was almost legally blind. 

Strangley you can drive with only 1 eye as long as it meets the above standard 

2 hours ago, washerboy said:

It's the vanity /ego cxxp I don't get to risk driving and endangering himself and others because he "doesn't like glasses".. 

I bet he likes a wheelchair less 

The problem is he is more likely to stick some other poor sod in a wheelchair than end up in one himself. 

Shop the ******. It’s our families he endangers. 

If a doctor advices you to refrain from driving after an operation etc it invalidates your car insurance if you drive.

If an optician tells you to wear your glasses for driving and you don't and cause an accident I would imagine the same applies.  Worth checking.

Found a link on the insurance rules.

https://www.thinkmoney.co.uk/news-advice/if-you-need-glasses-to-drive-do-you-need-to-tell-your-insurer-0-6098-0.htm

Edited by loriusgarrulus

If you have the code 01 on your licence then you must wear the prescribed eyewear while operating that class.

As you see I have it and yet my optician has told me that my eyesight is good enough to pass without glasses, but there could be that one day when my eyes are tired etc.

IMG_20190327_110919.jpg

On 27/03/2019 at 11:13, welsh1 said:

If you have the code 01 on your licence then you must wear the prescribed eyewear while operating that class.

As you see I have it and yet my optician has told me that my eyesight is good enough to pass without glasses, but there could be that one day when my eyes are tired etc.

IMG_20190327_110919.jpg

Sod the driving licence we want to see your tity card!