Hypothetical Question Canada Geese.

If you shot 140 Canada Geese over decoys over the course of a day on spring barley drillings.

Then next day you shot 140 wood pigeons on spring drilled OSR in the next field would that be any different?

Disposal is not an issue as they are pests like rooks, rats and crows and are not required to be sent into the food chain!

Why do we not show CG bags like we do WP bags?

PS I heard today of 2 guys who shot over 400 yesterday on barley drillings hence the question!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

400 pigeon would be one hell of a day but 400 geese, ???????, If you were there for 10 hrs, that's 40 per hour, then I doubt you would have a dog capable of retrieving 400 geese so that would be up to you. You couldn't just leave them there scattered around in heaps or the rest surely wouldn't come in, and then there's the farmer coming to his field and seing hundreds of geese piled up that have been shot and left because you certainly aren't carrying 400 geese anywhere, and if you did where do you park your 7 ton truck while you are shooting??.

Back to the question 

140 Canada geese or 140 pigeon 

only difference I can see is the saved crop damage as I’m sure the geese do more and 70 pairs of geese would probably have more young in a year than 70 pairs of pigeon 

there on the general license as a pest for a reason 

now 

400 in a day 

between two chaps with two trucks and a couple of dogs 

I’m sure they have a picture somewhere 

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

How the hell do you carry 400 CG. Most I have ever shot is 5 and that was as much as I wanted to walk off with!

I had 9 once, 1 and a 1/2 miles from my truck. Took three trips of 3. Victim of my own success!!

But 400??  At 12lbs each that's over 2 tons Even though it could carry that much, the 7-ton truck wouldn't be big enough!! Not that I'm sceptical but rapid .25's comments ring true with me!!

I don't believe that geese have no access to the foodchain in modest amounts ...

Thinking about it, it does pose me some issues ... the 'fowler in me struggles to comprehend shooting more than I could usefully use.

The crow shooter in me thinks about how much damage a significant amount of Canadas could do, and would want them sorting.

Good topic!

1 hour ago, rapid .25 said:

400 pigeon would be one hell of a day but 400 geese, ???????, If you were there for 10 hrs, that's 40 per hour, then I doubt you would have a dog capable of retrieving 400 geese so that would be up to you. You couldn't just leave them there scattered around in heaps or the rest surely wouldn't come in, and then there's the farmer coming to his field and seing hundreds of geese piled up that have been shot and left because you certainly aren't carrying 400 geese anywhere, and if you did where do you park your 7 ton truck while you are shooting??.

Ditto, as a personal guess it would take 10 guns with over a thousand carts spent and half dozen pickers with a dozen dogs with not a lot of time for drinks!

35 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Ditto, as a personal guess it would take 10 guns with over a thousand carts spent and half dozen pickers with a dozen dogs with not a lot of time for drinks!

2 men 6 hours 33 each per hour = 400. IF they were using sound moderated  .22 rifles and shotguns you might find it a lot easier than what you think on virgin geese.

I know a goose guide in Scotland who has pictures in his shoot lodge of 400+ pinks for 4 guns on a morning decoying. (not my cup of tea) some will probably know him too.

35 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

2 men 6 hours 33 each per hour = 400. IF they were using sound moderated  .22 rifles and shotguns you might find it a lot easier than what you think on virgin geese.

I know a goose guide in Scotland who has pictures in his shoot lodge of 400+ pinks for 4 guns on a morning decoying. (not my cup of tea) some will probably know him too.

One a minute, every minute for 6 hours non stop (assuming they didn't miss). The birds just kept coming and the guys didn't need the loo or a drink. 

Id like to see a picture of that.

Wow, what an education this thread has become. . . I joined this group as I don't know everything and always keen to learn especially about modern shooting techniques with the advancement of guns and ammo over the last 35years of shooting. I obviously have it completely wrong when it comes to choice of gun and need some new friends who can shoot to the very high class standard described above. I can't wait to tell some of the crack shots I know we are actually just playing at the sport and we should club together and buy a few thousand acres in Scotland we have it slightly wrong, as the 1,000's of geese we shoot at weekly in Lancashire are the wrong variety, our guns need replacing and we need some serious practice over the summer before next season. I'm just pleased we enjoy our modest days shooting, having a laugh at eachothers expense while eating pork pies and drinks mid-morning out the back of the pick-up

On 27/03/2019 at 07:34, Fisheruk said:

How the hell do you carry 400 CG. Most I have ever shot is 5 and that was as much as I wanted to walk off with!

When getting on a bit 25 Rooks are plenty heavy too on top of the rest of the gear?

Edited by old man

On 26/03/2019 at 23:28, Perazzishot said:

If you shot 140 Canada Geese over decoys over the course of a day on spring barley drillings.

Then next day you shot 140 wood pigeons on spring drilled OSR in the next field would that be any different?

Disposal is not an issue as they are pests like rooks, rats and crows and are not required to be sent into the food chain!

Why do we not show CG bags like we do WP bags?

PS I heard today of 2 guys who shot over 400 yesterday on barley drillings hence the question!

Canadas are not the sharpest knives in the draw but they learn quick enough and I dont know if anybody shot 400 in a day or not for sure haring things is common place . Did they get 400 DUNO is it posible Duno and dont want to know Myself. .

Post up pictures of 140 canadas crows or pigeon no different if the shooter wants to post up pictures he / They must have some reason for that, if they can justify doing this in their own ethics then post away its not illegal.

Canadas are a pest and under the terms of the general licence you can kill them, if you want to is up to you, again its down to your ethics.

As a wildfowler and a pest controller i can see both sides and i can decide which hat i want to wear, and just because its legal to do something it does not mean i want to do it.

Have no problem with those that do its just personally i will pass on this one, leave it to those who want to.

as long as none of the meat goes to waste pigeon or goose   however I do not agree with shooting any game or wildfowl out of season  as you are killing in the breeding season  you kill one the effect is kill half a dozen chicks / goslings etc through starvation           and the knock on effect is    work it out for yourself   sportsman ship above all else     a murdering ******* is not welcome anywhere  my opinion /may not be everyone's  

On 27/03/2019 at 09:50, Perazzishot said:

This is where the problem is I believe hence the question.

If you shoot 100 crows where do they go?

200 rats?

300 feral pigeons?

400 Canada Geese?

They are pests with no access to the food chain like all of the above.

hey was watching a  film other day were   some people  from india were surronding there  corn field with electric fence and killing rats then eating them and i spoke to one on the drums and he says they eat my corn so i eat them so there is a market for rats   india