Hypothetical Question Canada Geese.

12 hours ago, Saltings said:

as long as none of the meat goes to waste pigeon or goose   however I do not agree with shooting any game or wildfowl out of season  as you are killing in the breeding season  you kill one the effect is kill half a dozen chicks / goslings etc through starvation           and the knock on effect is    work it out for yourself   sportsman ship above all else     a murdering ******* is not welcome anywhere  my opinion /may not be everyone's  

Where do you draw the line ? Are you going to eat the rats and crows that are shot as part of pest control ?

The general idea is to remove the pest, is it not ?

Sportsman ship doesnt come into the equation.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Where do you draw the line ? Are you going to eat the rats and crows that are shot as part of pest control ?

Have always said this. Pest control is pest control, and absolutely nothing to do with sportsmanlike behaviour. 

7 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Thought as a general rule fowlers dont take canadas anyway? 

As a rule, i dont like killing anything in breeding season, but if its a pest, and ive been asked (or even better paid) , ive a job to do, i do it. Shame but a rat is a rat, a goose is a goose. Cant imagine the amount of **** 4000 will do, or tbh the organiser trying to dispose of 400 geese easily. 

9 hours ago, propercartridges said:

hey was watching a  film other day were   some people  from india were surronding there  corn field with electric fence and killing rats then eating them and i spoke to one on the drums and he says they eat my corn so i eat them so there is a market for rats   india

Corn fed rat !  possibly....... fast food bin, fed rat, probably not,, Regarding the OP if its got to be done then so be it,  however it is a shame that  800 goose breast didnt enter the food chain,   Dog food ?

1 hour ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Well today this murdering xxxxxx attended 2 permission’s that he has, and as the owners of both have requested that l remove said PESTS l did, and very pleased they are too.

l’m sure that if l refused their requests l would be looking for somewhere else to shoot.

👏👏

Exactly the same as woodpigeons but we don't see the same pictures. Same GL provision. The problem being is you can not make money from geese! 

Even if you supply restaurants with Geese FOC they can not sell them on the menu, and I have numerous restaurants who would take as many as I could supply, from CG, PF, GL!

10 hours ago, propercartridges said:

hey was watching a  film other day were   some people  from india were surronding there  corn field with electric fence and killing rats then eating them and i spoke to one on the drums and he says they eat my corn so i eat them so there is a market for rats   india

Geordie if i could sell rats I might be able to afford a few more days and require a few more of your caps! I'll leave you to do the marketing mate!!!

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Corn fed rat !  possibly....... fast food bin, fed rat, probably not,, Regarding the OP if its got to be done then so be it,  however it is a shame that  800 goose breast didnt enter the food chain,   Dog food ?

My D.l.Law’s dog also luuuves a CG breast, and at the price she gets them you can’t go wrong.

11 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

👏👏

Exactly the same as woodpigeons but we don't see the same pictures. Same GL provision. The problem being is you can not make money from geese! 

Even if you supply restaurants with Geese FOC they can not sell them on the menu, and I have numerous restaurants who would take as many as I could supply, from CG, PF, GL!

Geordie if i could sell rats I might be able to afford a few more days and require a few more of your caps! I'll leave you to do the marketing mate!!!

There is/was an official Greylag cull here in the western isles over the last few years overseen by SNH.. the meat has been sold or given to restaurants and butchers for human consumption..Surely CG could be controlled in the same way in England,  The scheme here has an extended season for shooting and should follow guidelines decreed by SNH. I dont belong to the scheme for a variety of reasons but still shoot a few through the winter..  800 lb of CG breast would feed a lot of pets and even at a £1 a pound financially worthwhile

Edited by islandgun

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

There is/was an official Greylag cull here in the western isles over the last few years overseen by SNH.. the meat has been sold or given to restaurants and butchers for human consumption..Surely CG could be controlled in the same way in England,  The scheme here has an extended season for shooting and should follow guidelines decreed by SNH. I dont belong to the scheme for a variety of reasons but still shoot a few through the winter..  800 lb of CG breast would feed a lot of pets and even at a £1 a pound financially worthwhile

Totally agree with you! It took a variation to allow that to happen, and I know the butcher on Orkney who makes and sells a lot of very nice Greylag sausages! The restaurant (the name escapes me) also do some fantastic dishes with it too.

I don't agree with turning up with decoys to shoot as many geese as you can in a closed season paired up or sitting on eggs  moulting etc  geese whatever the species are not vermin however on licence can be treated a pest  because you can  or not does not make it right     a licence is for crop protection only    usually two or three geese kills the others cotton and go else where     crop protection is just that and not slaughter    and don't get me wrong I have shot plenty of candidates on crop protection  and after a week or two the crops get the best of them and are no longer a threat so  why kill what you enjoy within the legal shooting season    unless you shoot  on golf courses its not about crop protection more about **** on shoes  therefore culling on general licence does not apply  if that's what you call wild fowling you are welcome to it  ill take my chances from the glorious 12 on the moor etc  to  the foreshore / the wash  /Scotland / Ireland on legal quarry in season    dog training pigeon  and rabbit  shooting  clay and vermin  in the off season    also fly fishing etc    I would like to be known as a sportsman  when I turn my toes up   if I shoot it or catch it goes in the pot or to a recipient and not wasted      I work for a living and know where my food comes from       a lot of people shoot things and don't eat them that's their choice but somebody might enjoy there are a lot of people in this country using food banks / homeless /care homes /sally army /to mention a few which would benefit from meats not going to waste in a ditch        ( just my opinion may not be others )

Edited by Saltings

Sorry but I gave up on that after a couple of lines. If you want people to understand what you write ( and I’m assuming you do as why else write it ? ) then punctuation and grammar are your friends. 

Misspelling is fine, but no punctuation is just lazy. 

7 hours ago, Saltings said:

I don't agree with turning up with decoys to shoot as many geese as you can in a closed season paired up or sitting on eggs  moulting etc  geese whatever the species are not vermin however on licence can be treated a pest  because you can  or not does not make it right     a licence is for crop protection only    usually two or three geese kills the others cotton and go else where     crop protection is just that and not slaughter    and don't get me wrong I have shot plenty of candidates on crop protection  and after a week or two the crops get the best of them and are no longer a threat so  why kill what you enjoy within the legal shooting season    unless you shoot  on golf courses its not about crop protection more about **** on shoes  therefore culling on general licence does not apply  if that's what you call wild fowling you are welcome to it  ill take my chances from the glorious 12 on the moor etc  to  the foreshore / the wash  /Scotland / Ireland on legal quarry in season    dog training pigeon  and rabbit  shooting  clay and vermin  in the off season    also fly fishing etc    I would like to be known as a sportsman  when I turn my toes up   if I shoot it or catch it goes in the pot or to a recipient and not wasted      I work for a living and know where my food comes from       a lot of people shoot things and don't eat them that's their choice but somebody might enjoy there are a lot of people in this country using food banks / homeless /care homes /sally army /to mention a few which would benefit from meats not going to waste in a ditch        ( just my opinion may not be others )

The question was originally that people are happy/proud to show off bags of pigeons. Canada's are killed on the same licence for the same reason for crop protection. They are also on the public health and disease GL meaning that where there droppings cause slip risk and health risks to human health i.e golf courses, fisheries (also on GL for damage) so actually on 2 GL's. Also if you had done any research you will find that these shopping, centres, golf courses etc have tried everything to rid them of the geese and they do not shift if anything they get more and more settled. Culls are the only way to reduce numbers. 

38 minutes ago, Scully said:

Sorry but I gave up on that after a couple of lines. If you want people to understand what you write ( and I’m assuming you do as why else write it ? ) then punctuation and grammar are your friends. 

Misspelling is fine, but no punctuation is just lazy. 

Agreed!

Those of us with half a brain know perfectly well what the purpose of the original post was. It was a controversy motivated rhetorical question.

Something inside me disallows me from shooting a large bag of geese. Four would easily be enough whatever the circumstances. 

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Those of us with half a brain know perfectly well what the purpose of the original post was. It was a controversy motivated rhetorical question.

Something inside me disallows me from shooting a large bag of geese. Four would easily be enough whatever the circumstances. 

Agreed.

7 hours ago, JDog said:

No it wasn't, it was asked what is the difference between showing off bags of  pigeons compared with bags of geese when they are being shot for the exact same reasons. As pests, damaging crops and polluting a fishery making it unsafe for its members and visitors!

How can you congratulate someone for shooting 200 pigeons but castigate another for shooting 200 Canada Geese? 

Genuine question? 

Edited by Perazzishot
Typo

8 hours ago, JDog said:

i only shoot what my conscience allows not what the law allows:good: