Hypothetical Question Canada Geese.

13 hours ago, Scully said:

Sorry but I gave up on that after a couple of lines. If you want people to understand what you write ( and I’m assuming you do as why else write it ? ) then punctuation and grammar are your friends. 

Misspelling is fine, but no punctuation is just lazy. 

sorry have always really struggled with reading and righting mostly  words in the  wrong places or no spaces  my apologies 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Saltings said:

sorry have always really struggled with reading and righting mostly  words in the  wrong places or no spaces  my apologies 

Then it’s me who should be apologising; I wrongly assumed you were just being lazy. Sorry. 

My mistake, and please accept my sincere apologies. 

10 minutes ago, walshie said:

Pigeons will never be taken off the GL despite what some nutters want. The GL is there for a reason.

And l believe some on here do not understand the reason of, or for the GL.

But of course you can always ignore it, and make a statement which make you feel better when culling 200 pigeons for your evening meal.

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

Then it’s me who should be apologising; I wrongly assumed you were just being lazy. Sorry. 

My mistake, and please accept my sincere apologies. 

no need to apologise at all   I am not making myself understood  I have to work on that  😂

2 hours ago, walshie said:

Pigeons will never be taken off the GL despite what some nutters want. The GL is there for a reason.

Never say never it is Cwis Packman pushing this.

However I would love to see the vegans suffering due to the revocation of the GL. 

Within 5 years our ecology would change beyond repair!

49 minutes ago, scolopax said:

jeez this is hard.....imagine an officer of the law was to come over to you in the field and ask you why you are shooting Canada geese/ Egyptian geese...what would your reply to him be ?

I would ask him what possible concern it was of his.

Just now, scolopax said:

well lets just say he has doubts to the legality and wants an explanation, there and then, as to why the geese are been shot now, 6th April

Im still not sure its in his jurisdiction anyway ?

A copy of your ticket, permission letter ,and a copy of the relevant part of the GL ?
But then, does he know his birds ?
Whats he going to do if hes not satisfied, or you dont have that paperwork, arrest you ?

As a hypothetical question, its not a very good one .

I think the OP was a very good and challenging question, not least because it does, or should, challenge individuals to consider their reasoning and motivation in killing things.

We never really question if someone has a picture of a 100+ pigeons, we will mostly congratulate them on their skill.  If someone posted a picture of 100+ dead rats or squirrels we would congratulate them on removing vermin. As an aside i never really understand the desire to take that picture in the first place.

What confers the canada goose any special status in that respect? It is listed on the GL exactly the same as a pigeon is, the species is not threatened.  Pigeons or corvids may equally have dependent young in the nest, but in the main we wouldn't question the ethics of killing them throughout the year, so why is the canada different.

Interesting that some of the comments talk about shooting a handful then the rest clear out, but they simply clear out to another field.  That is why we are allowed to kill under the GL, if it was simply a case of scaring them away then why do we construct pigeon hides and wear camo, why do we set out decoys to bring the birds in to a killing range instead of wandering through the field in plain site waving our arms?  It is noteworthy that the outrage of the shooting community against the changes to the GL for  'shoo before you shoot' a couple of years ago was very vocal, yet here we have some who in practical terms are advocating exactly that.

The sanctimony of some, not all, around sportsmanship or respect for quarry is, I believe, disingenuous and a sop to their own conscience in how they justify killing things.  If a bird is designated as being an agricultural pest, or threat to health, then they are exactly that and there is no difference ethically in shooting 400 geese versus 400 pigeon.  The logistics of getting rid of them is different issue.

1 hour ago, scolopax said:

well lets just say he has doubts to the legality and wants an explanation, there and then, as to why the geese are been shot now, 6th April

As I understand it, concerning Greylag geese here, if you wish to shoot out of season, you must prove that the geese are causing damage and that you have tried all other means to deter them from your crop. Is this the case with the GL and CG ?

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

As I understand it, concerning Greylag geese here, if you wish to shoot out of season, you must prove that the geese are causing damage and that you have tried all other means to deter them from your crop. Is this the case with the GL and CG ?

not too sure as I have not read, or at least cannot remember that part of the General License.  I suspect not though, otherwise folk would not be shooting geese 'just because they can' or just 'because they are on the GL'.

I really do think Avery has a good chance of winning his case against the GL.

34 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I think the OP was a very good and challenging question, not least because it does, or should, challenge individuals to consider their reasoning and motivation in killing things.

We never really question if someone has a picture of a 100+ pigeons, we will mostly congratulate them on their skill.  If someone posted a picture of 100+ dead rats or squirrels we would congratulate them on removing vermin. As an aside i never really understand the desire to take that picture in the first place.

What confers the canada goose any special status in that respect? It is listed on the GL exactly the same as a pigeon is, the species is not threatened.  Pigeons or corvids may equally have dependent young in the nest, but in the main we wouldn't question the ethics of killing them throughout the year, so why is the canada different.

Interesting that some of the comments talk about shooting a handful then the rest clear out, but they simply clear out to another field.  That is why we are allowed to kill under the GL, if it was simply a case of scaring them away then why do we construct pigeon hides and wear camo, why do we set out decoys to bring the birds in to a killing range instead of wandering through the field in plain site waving our arms?  It is noteworthy that the outrage of the shooting community against the changes to the GL for  'shoo before you shoot' a couple of years ago was very vocal, yet here we have some who in practical terms are advocating exactly that.

The sanctimony of some, not all, around sportsmanship or respect for quarry is, I believe, disingenuous and a sop to their own conscience in how they justify killing things.  If a bird is designated as being an agricultural pest, or threat to health, then they are exactly that and there is no difference ethically in shooting 400 geese versus 400 pigeon.  The logistics of getting rid of them is different issue.

You must tell us to whom you are referring if they are posting on this forum.

As i said earlier and as grrclark has pointed out. if its a pest/problem then the GL is about removal [as best as possible] . comparisons have been made with pigeon and red deer...rats mink etc etc..personally i would not want to take part in a shoot that kills large numbers of geese but im happy to harvest as many rabbits as i can.. hypocrisy !

Scolopax... I agree Avery has a good chance of winning