Storage advice

MarcMaxus

Hi Folks,

I'll try and make this as straightforward as I can lol!

I already have my cabinet fitted, I've limited space so only have a 3 gun cabinet. I have an under and over fits in one slot fine. I also have a 30 inch barrel semi auto. For that to fit in that safe, I have to seperate the barrel. The action along with seperate barrel takes up 2 spots in the cabinet, action in one spot, barrel in the other.

Here's the question, I want another gun, but with the current cabinet situation as is, can't fit another in the cabinet. If I stored the barrel taking up one spot away from the action, keeping the action locked in the cabinet, that would free up one more slot for another gun. The question is, is this allowed? The action would be locked in the cabinet with the other assembled guns, the barrel in a locked case, but not in the cabinet.

Essentially I have 2 guns in a 3 gun safe because one takes up 2 spots. Am I correct in thinking the barrel itself, seperate from the action is safe to be stored outside the cabinet? Reasonable precautions taken etc. I'm trying to avoid ripping the old safe out, replacing with a new one, having another visit etc etc.

Hope I've not made a pigs ear of explaining and any info appreciated. I should of just got the 5 gun in the first place! 

Cheers 

Yes you should have bought a larger cabinet!

As long as the action is secured you can store barrels outside the cabinet quite legally, lots of us do.

As a gentle warning, please be aware that your FEO may start to show interest if you are listed as having a 3 gun cabinet and have more guns. Whilst their security is your responsibility, some FEO's will make comment.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes you should have bought a larger cabinet!

As long as the action is secured you can store barrels outside the cabinet quite legally, lots of us do.

As a gentle warning, please be aware that your FEO may start to show interest if you are listed as having a 3 gun cabinet and have more guns. Whilst their security is your responsibility, some FEO's will make comment.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

I did have this queried once when I had five guns in a three gun cabinet. Queried by Kent Police, not by FEO, so I emailed them a photo of the guns topped and tailed so all fitted securely within the cabinet, so was OK'd.

My understanding is that providing that they are secure, then it complies, regardless of the designated number of guns for the cabinet. The use of gun socks also prevents any damage.

OB

6 minutes ago, bornfree said:

you could drill a hole in the top of your cabinet and put the auto in with the barrel end through the hole. ive done this for a friend in the past. just fit a grommet so it dont scratch the barrel.

Or you could cut a couple of inches off the barrel to make it fit!:rolleyes:

I can stuff 3 guns (Inc a pump action) into my two gun breakdown with a lot of wasted space by removing the roam padding and ignoring the 'slots'. 

Over the next few months I'm going to experiment with making what are essentially slimline gun cases into which I can strap the various barrels, actions etc. Should make for a far more efficient use of space. Plus easier to get in and out without forearms clattering all over the place. 

I reckon I could get 6 guns in a two gun breakdown with this system. 

23 minutes ago, Lord v said:

I can stuff 3 guns (Inc a pump action) into my two gun breakdown with a lot of wasted space by removing the roam padding and ignoring the 'slots'. 

Over the next few months I'm going to experiment with making what are essentially slimline gun cases into which I can strap the various barrels, actions etc. Should make for a far more efficient use of space. Plus easier to get in and out without forearms clattering all over the place. 

I reckon I could get 6 guns in a two gun breakdown with this system. 

Sounds interesting, Keep us posted.

Cheers for the info guys. I'd only ever have 3 guns in the cabinet, just the barrel of the larger one stored outside. I figured as long as the action is locked up I should be okay. I probably could get rid of some of the foam inserts and see if that creates some room, I just don't want guns/parts banging together, scratching etc. 

Be interested to see what Rapid comes up with too! I'll try the barrel down option too, or even top and tail them. 

Edited by MarcMaxus

1 hour ago, bornfree said:

you could drill a hole in the top of your cabinet and put the auto in with the barrel end through the hole. ive done this for a friend in the past. just fit a grommet so it dont scratch the barrel.

Exactly what I did for my Semi so the end pokes up into the top little safe still within the actual Gun safe..

11 hours ago, Lord v said:

Exactly. Top and tail, remove foam, i can get 6 easy in my 4 gun, reckon 7 if i needed to but would be a **** as they would be crossing the others. 

Make a small holder on the door for the barrels, youd be surprised how much room there is just on the door, as most cabinets are deep enough for a rifle (just) so past a certain height theres loads of room