Shooting Accident

Okrang

A beater where I shoot told me that he’s very wary of anyone from Southern Europe. I shot with a Russian last season who wasn’t exactly dangerous, but he certainly wasn’t as careful as the rest of us. I think Vince is right - it’s drilled into us more.

19 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Raises a strange question, if these were tourists, going out on a paid day like some pigeon shooters advertise, would the organiser be liable? And would he be covered? 

I would imagine the estate/sporting agent would have it all stitched up, Italians and others have a lot of bad press dished out at them and I have seen it first hand, but I think in this case it loks likely that the gun was left with the safety off, which is the usual choice for Italian shooters visiting this country for sport shooting.

If it had been a member of the public entering the field and getting shot it may be the estate/agent at fault for not putting up signs.

Many years ago we were taken to a clay shoot in Cyprus, it was supposed to be a treat from the people we were staying with. It was a fairly big and formal club, not just a few traps in a field. The gun handling / safety was absolutely appalling. People walking about with closed guns, swinging them round pointing at people. I saw one man finish his stand with a first barrel kill and then proceed to walk off the point with his gun closed and presumably the second barrel still loaded. Nobody seemed to think it was any way unusual 

Its an entirely different culture, a bit like 'real men' don't wear seat belts over there.  

Edited by Vince Green

11 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Ranges in the USA are full with Europeans  and a ton of Asians renting guns.  Asians love guns and are extremely dangerous.  I have literally seen them look down the barrel to see if it was loaded.  

Yep, back along before crimps you could even see the shot size. :whistling:

16 hours ago, wymberley said:

Still the best "put down" ever. "Oh, good morning, Colonel, I see you're using 6s today", said the 'keeper looking down the officer's barrels which with the gun closed and which were pointing everywhere where they shouldn't.

I would have loved to have seen the colonels face!

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2019 at 09:57, Vince Green said:

Many years ago we were taken to a clay shoot in Cyprus, it was supposed to be a treat from the people we were staying with. It was a fairly big and formal club, not just a few traps in a field. The gun handling / safety was absolutely appalling. People walking about with closed guns, swinging them round pointing at people. I saw one man finish his stand with a first barrel kill and then proceed to walk off the point with his gun closed and presumably the second barrel still loaded. Nobody seemed to think it was any way unusual 

Its an entirely different culture, a bit like 'real men' don't wear seat belts over there.  

I have recently returned from Cyprus and can concur with your observations. We lived on the island for an extended period and so appalling was the general safety I only went out a couple of times and then decided it was time to quit. Whilst out rough shooting on the very edge of a permission near the dam, the owner of the land observed some other Cypriots shooting on the wrong side of the fence line, which is non shooting land and about 1000 signs tell you this. Rather than walk across and have a word he decided to blast a couple of barrels into the ground about 4 ft in front of us, as a warning. Absolutely mental over there, just go around the dam and try to count  how many signs a riddles with holes. Needless to say, I never went out again.

1 hour ago, Taileron said:

I have recently returned from Cyprus and can concur with your observations. We lived on the island for an extended period and so appalling was the general safety I only went out a couple of times and then decided it was time to quit. Whilst out rough shooting on the very edge of a permission near the dam, the owner of the land observed some other Cypriots shooting on the wrong side of the fence line, which is non shooting land and about 1000 signs tell you this. Rather than walk across and have a word he decided to blast a couple of barrels into the ground about 4 ft in front of us, as a warning. Absolutely mental over there, just go around the dam and try to count  how many signs a riddles with holes. Needless to say, I never went out again.

😀 You don't have to go abroad to see shot up signs ! The sign informing people they are entering the small hamlet of Barras on Stainmore is riddled with CF holes !