SKL

dipper

Anyone got or had a SKL .Not a shooting mans car far from it but I want one.Funny thing is speaking to a few mates hoping they would put me off.But no they said go for it.Mind you one mate changes his guns weekly all top of the range stuff.When I was a lot younger I had a TR4A so I know the room issue.Bottom line is I can always change it.

SKl or SLK? I had an SLK old shape which was shockingly bad, changing down in the bends and spinning the back out but looked lovely. I had the new shape on loan for three weeks and its much nicer to drive and great to look at but ................ That's about it. 

Not so quick, not so much fun but safe and responsible if a little boring.

If you mean SLK, i like them.Had a drive of the SLK AMG 200 and the 250.The deisel is noisy but plenty of mid range grunt.The petrol is the one to go for as the cost of diesel  is going up and up.I'd love a 200 but I've spent far to much money on my 5 to start all over again.The quality of the Merc is just great,no rattles or knocks at least with the two i drove.

Go for it mate you only live once & open top motoring is addictive.

I’ve got a 12 plate (new body style) 200. Mine has been remapped up over 240 bhp and it is a fantastic car.  It is my daily driver and my weekend fun car all rolled into one.  With a couple mods it is a fantastic car.  For me, Smartop, a good wind deflector, the remap, and an under seat subwoofer have transformed the car from good and fun to great and a blast. The MOT flew through just today and with 70k on the clock there isn’t a single issue that it has had.  I’ve put tires on it twice, haven’t yet changed the brakes, gone through a couple head lamp bulbs (I drive with them ‘on’ all the time) and that’s it.

If you you want to get a little crazy the amg 43 and 55 are a bit wild.  I drove the 43 2 weeks ago for a couple hours and it is very rapid.

thanks,

rick

8 hours ago, casts_by_fly said:

I’ve got a 12 plate (new body style) 200. Mine has been remapped up over 240 bhp and it is a fantastic car.  It is my daily driver and my weekend fun car all rolled into one.  With a couple mods it is a fantastic car.  For me, Smartop, a good wind deflector, the remap, and an under seat subwoofer have transformed the car from good and fun to great and a blast. The MOT flew through just today and with 70k on the clock there isn’t a single issue that it has had.  I’ve put tires on it twice, haven’t yet changed the brakes, gone through a couple head lamp bulbs (I drive with them ‘on’ all the time) and that’s it.

If you you want to get a little crazy the amg 43 and 55 are a bit wild.  I drove the 43 2 weeks ago for a couple hours and it is very rapid.

thanks,

rick

Stick a set of Tein coilovers on it mate and a a full PROPER 4 wheel alignment.Get the alignment done by someone who knows what they are doing.You will have a go cart.

6 hours ago, Davyo said:

Stick a set of Tein coilovers on it mate and a a full PROPER 4 wheel alignment.Get the alignment done by someone who knows what they are doing.You will have a go cart.

I’ve considered it but I’m also itching for an SL upgrade. I love my car but the slightly bigger SL would be nice. I don’t thrash mine around (either too many people on the road or no good roads here) so haven’t felt the need for a suspension upgrade.  If I had to replace any of it for wear I would definitely be there though. 

Rick

• 1 month later...

I have an R171 SLK from 2005.  Typically Mercedes, rather stodgy, but dependable.  At this vintage, you have a choice of 200 (underpowered, noisy, very slow and thirsty), 280 and 350 (decent performance and smooth engines) and 550AMG (fast and expensive to maintain) all petrol.  Interiors are generally poor in both looks and quality, but reasonably spacious and comfortable.  Manuals are poor and notchy, autos very 'fussy', continually swapping gears.  Steering is spoiled by the usual HUGE  Mercedes wheel.  All suffer from road noise and wind noise and are not a relaxed long journey car.  Things like sat nav are VERY poor by modern standards.  Beware 'sports suspension' option which will shake your fillings out.

In spite of all this - not a bad convertible, but Mazda is cheaper and ultimately a better fun car.

Edited by JohnfromUK

• 3 months later...