A question of sticks.

fatchap

What is the going rate for a handmade walking stick, antler handle etc and thumbsticks, I don't get to many country shows to see what the traders sell them for. 

I'm getting a few orders in now and I sell them for around 40 quid depending on how intricate they want them. But been told 40 quid is on the cheap side.

Any ideas on keen price to sell them for?

Edited by fatchap

The ones for sale at game fairs vary in quality and hence price. Having seen some of yours on here, I would say that £40 is cheap for the quality items that you produce.

All sticks seen at country fairs etc are all obviously different, but bearing in mind that if you are taking commissions, each stick is a bespoke item and made to someone's particular requirements, then this, in my view makes them very special and this should be reflected in the price.

No doubt that if you priced them on the hours spent on each one, plus of course the antler pieces, ferrules etc, then £40 would be very cheap indeed. I would have thought that £50 would be a very reasonable, if not, still too cheap a price.

Not really a conclusive answer to your question, but hope it helps.

OB

Similarly to OB,   I would have thought £40 a really base price for a base stick and as the stick will be individual it needs pricing accordingly, every one will be different.  Any further embelishments or a particularly nicely twisted one then double that price.  There is a lot of work involved.  I have my car in for service and tell my mechanic to sort anyhting he finds that needs attention, I get an itemised bill and I am happy to pay because I know he has looked the motor over and isn't scamming me. SO, the service isn't a basic set price. I pay for the hours and work he does.  Same for your sticks, as I am sure every one takes a different amount of time etc etc

I know when I tied flies for people I always thought what I charged was peanuts really considering the time and expertise learned over 65 yrs, particularly in a tricky mayfly pattern or salmon fly.

Edited by Walker570