Blue planet.... the irony

islandgun

Last nights lectures, included Packham moaning about ships engine noise confusing whales. whilst he pointlessly stood on a ship, the ship was a launching site for a drone that could have been launched from a sailing dinghy.  another woman was flown to Australia where she pointlessly walked up and down a beach and moaned about ships cargo being lost at sea, another was standing in a harbour in America talking about about sharks. All these things could have easily been conveyed by the local people without the need of paying for these celebs and camera crews to be jetted around the world, using precious resources.. do they not see the irony of their action and are they oblivious to their double standards   

Edited by islandgun

I watched some of it and quite enjoyed it, your selling it short really islandgun, they were looking for Blue Whales and explaining how the local er boat drivers? Have been trained not to chase whales when they surface, which is making things better for the whales.

And as for the celebs doing the hosting, we might not like Packham but lots of others do, the celebs help sell the show and the camera shots were fantastic, that's something the beeb get right.

24 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I watched some of it and quite enjoyed it, your selling it short really islandgun, they were looking for Blue Whales and explaining how the local er boat drivers? Have been trained not to chase whales when they surface, which is making things better for the whales.

And as for the celebs doing the hosting, we might not like Packham but lots of others do, the celebs help sell the show and the camera shots were fantastic, that's something the beeb get right.

I too enjoyed the photography but do we need the celebs making silly jokes, when perfectly sensible people on the ground are able to give a first hand account of their work. the reference to ships noise refers to a perceived world wide problem. Its their "holier than thou" way of stating the obvious that ***** me off... that and the the fact that their own use of resources far exceeds more than any of us less enlightened folk use

I tend to agree. There are few people more sanctimonious than Packham and I'd take a little bet that we in the shooting community are generally more caring about the natural world than he is. As for the others I just don't know who they are or what qualifies them to be either 'experts' or 'celebrities'.

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Last nights lectures, included Packham moaning about ships engine noise confusing whales. whilst he pointlessly stood on a ship, the ship was a launching site for a drone that could have been launched from a sailing dinghy.  another woman was flown to Australia where she pointlessly walked up and down a beach and moaned about ships cargo being lost at sea, another was standing in a harbour in America talking about about sharks. All these things could have easily been conveyed by the local people without the need of paying for these celebs and camera crews to be jetted around the world, using precious resources.. do they not see the irony of their action and are they oblivious to their double standards   

And sending news readers to Rio and Washington to read bog standard news bulletins when Olympics and American elections are on

58 minutes ago, Westward said:

As for the others I just don't know who they are or what qualifies them to be either 'experts' or 'celebrities'.

You've never watched any of Steve Backshall's programs? The Deadly 60 or his adventuring come exploring programs? Your missing out.

1 hour ago, Pistol p said:

If you keep watching them then you're only encouraging them to do it again.

Afraid not quite right bud, they will do it till the BBC runs out of air time as they see themselves st the "great educators" now?

There is never ever any comment about emissions from volcanoes of air travel?

Edited by old man

I still have my usual gripe with this sort of thing. How are we possibly meant to get people interested in the marine life when the BBC refuse to give the UK waters a look in? I watched Blue Planet UK and it's utterly hopeless. They're constantly giving the message that our marine life isn't as exciting and thus as valuable as other places. 

Goodness knows, people in this country are ignorant enough about their own wildlife, we don't need the BBC making it worse!