what happened

ant1

went out yesterday evening on the rabbits with my cz hmr. walked a few fields and spotted a few rabbits around fifty yards away got prone on the field shooting off the bipod took the shot click nothing happened, thought i probably did not have a round in the chamber recycled the bolt did not see if round came out as it was getting dark.second shot got an explosion which broke my stock into three parts around the action also blew out the magazine taking off three bullet tips magazine in bits.when i got home i checked for damage on the action i could see that the primer end of the bullet was behind the extractor pins.checked the barrel and there was a bullet head around three quaters of the way down bullet tip came out with a push of the rod  with no effort slight damage to the polymer tip. any one what could have happened. taking the rifle to a gunsmiths today to give it a check over.p s  if everything is ok i will be looking for a stock to fit a cz 452 american hmr.

Dud hmr round. They go off but not at velocity of usual then get stuvk in the barrel. Another is sent up the barrel thinking as you did it had not gone off. Then bang could be fatal. I check for any split necks on cases now. Happened to me twice over the years and luckily was aware of problem. Got home and rodded bullet out of barrel. There are lots of incidents of this happening. I would check through remaining ammo any with default take them bacj and get supplier to deal with your now scrap gun. Glad you are ok which is main thing 

Bad round , maybe little or no powder in the cartridge, primer just enough to push it up the barrel.

Personally , after an incident like that, I would be dubious about the barrels integrity, reproofing , youre half way towards a new barrel, which for the sake of your own personal safety, I would be replacing, get into a stock too, and you have to ask yourself about the viability of the gun as a whole ?

Youre lucky really that you werent injured, but its just one of those things, happened to me when I just started shooting, using a lever action .357 on a range.
Pulled the trigger 'click'  opened it up and a empty case popped out, I knew something wasnt right so got the RO , bullet half way up the barrel, no powder in the cartridge.
If Id reloaded and fired, it would more than likely burst the barrel.

Happened to me in the summer, it's the rounds, i have had a few over the years get stuck in the barrel and noticed, but in the summer, i cycled another round as i thought i had ejected a whole round, pulled the trigger and big bang, mag blown off, hand a bit scorched.The mag had expanded outward and was just pushed back into place,the bullets were knocked out, and everything was checked.A test round fired, and was ok, then zeroed and no problems.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

What ammunition are you using ?  I have shot a fair amount of Hornady ever since the calibre became available ...think I had one of the first rifles Edgars brought in and I have never ever had a problem. Am I just lucky or is it the particular manufacturer.

I would say 1 in 5 case split with mine , Hornaday 17 g.
Doesnt seem to affect shooting or accuracy, but it shouldnt really be happening .

just got back from the gunsmiths. and as most of you say it was probably a dud round which  only pushed the first round inside the barrel, the first round still had what looks like compacted powder inside, checked all other ammo no splits in casings, they are hornady 17 v-max. anyway he is going to check the gun over barrel and action bolt .he has a spare old wooden  stock which he can throw on and check test it for accuracy if the barrel is ok. he is also going to take some photos of the offending round and make a report to send to hornady .

24 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I must be a very lucky chap then. As they say, forwarned is forarmed.   Out of interest what rifles in each case, just wondering if it is a chamber problem allowing th necks to expand too far.

I should clarify , the splits appear after the round has been fired.
Browning TBolt.

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I would say 1 in 5 case split with mine , Hornaday 17 g.
Doesnt seem to affect shooting or accuracy, but it shouldnt really be happening .

I reckon that's about right.Lots of mine are split and often the case is jammed in the chamber as a result. To the point that I carry a tool on my key ring to remove them. My rifle is a Weirauch.

This isn’t a new issue and I’m surprised everyone hasn’t heard it’s the reason I’ll not own another 17hmr.   

If the round firing doesn’t sound right or you have an unexplained miss check the fired round on ejection and check the barrel.  This should be second nature on any rifle but especially the HMR with the ammo issues. 

It’s a really noticeable sound when they don’t fire right. Had a mate do it and continue jamming a round in because he was all excited but luckily I stopped him. We just knocked it out with a rod and carried on.

if I miss and don’t see a round down range I always stop and remove the bolt to check it’s clear. 6-7 years in and 1000’s of rounds and it’s all good . 

33 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The sound of the primer going off would all be contained within the breach, but just enough pressure to send it forward.

seems to be what happened rewulf. every day is a school day. if it ever happens again i will be checking the barrel.

50 minutes ago, ant1 said:

seems to be what happened rewulf. every day is a school day. if it ever happens again i will be checking the barrel.

Get a misfire in anything, you wait at least 5 seconds, point downrange ,THEN open the bolt ,and ALWAYS check the barrel.
Next time you might not be so lucky.
We live and learn :good:

On 28/03/2019 at 10:12, Scully said:

Have heard many stories about faulty .17HMR ammo. It sounds like this is possibly yet another one? 

First round just pushed onto barrel, ejected spent case, fed a new one and then explosion due to blocked barrel? 

I'd be inclined to agree. Seems most logical explanation 

Your local RFD will very likely give you a refund for your rifle, they would then make a claim against the bullet manufacturer.

When you get a refund put a 1-4-1 application in for a 17 hornet or something similar. And dont look back at the HMR again.