Few on the drilling’s

Wilts#Dave

We’ve had a very lean winter down in Wiltshire on our patch, with a lack of rape grown due to the dreaded flea beetle not helping matters!  

A few have hit the rape in the last couple of months and we’ve managed several bags of 20-30 and a fortnight or so ago a good afternoon session of 51. 

Been keeping an eye out for the spring drilling’s in hope of some better sport, and yesterday produced a lovely afternoon over some day old barley. 

A known flight line and good field helps massively, and even though only twenty or thirty on it when we arrived at 12.30, I had a feeling we’d get a few. 

The first bird was on the decoys before I’d loaded up, which was dropped and a steady flow of birds until 5 o clock notched  up a bag of exactly 70. Dad fancied a few shots with the hushpower .410 and took some of the closer shots that decoyed well, the majority were longer birds which made for a great variety of shots. 

Sat in the sun, couldn’t have had a better afternoon to be honest......roll on the next one!  

Ps, I can’t figure out how to post pics from my phone....always used to use photobucket? 

Edited by Wilts#Dave

19 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done, great day and well deserved.

Thanks PC, I always read with envy of the numbers you shoot through the winter. 

15 hours ago, motty said:

Nice to hear from you, Dave. I have had a similarly lean time of late. I have found the birds, but haven't got them to really play ball. I hope to address this over the next few days.

Well done on a nice bag.

Likewise, I’ve been expecting to see a post from you having got amongst them and shot a decent bag. It’s hard work sometimes isn’t it, hope you get them to play ball if you’re out over the next few days! 

I’m out again today if the pigeons are still on the field Dad scouted yesterday, fingers crossed. 

15 hours ago, dad said:

Thats a good day well done. How close did you need them for the .410

The .410 is good for anything out to 25yds to be fairly consistent, 10-20 optimum to be honest and not jinking around too much as the silenced pump is a lumbering old thing to swing around! 

I’ve had some cracking bags with it though, 97 the highlight on some barley stubble when they decoyed an absolute treat.