DIY light weight magnet

Dave0

Hi all 

Heres my first attempt at making a light weight magnet to fit  hyper flaps to fit on it I have 3D printed most of the parts to test the build out once I am happy with how it runs I will make it out of aluminium 

heres where I am at with the build 

79B58FC7-D9CC-4F8A-B110-8B80C12D38FE.png

83F7EF25-3DBC-4FAA-9579-18586D665EA4.jpeg

89B4C510-C6EF-4271-A70D-D06DF94A0A6A.jpeg

E146C6AC-90ED-4475-AABA-6C79C5717791.jpeg

Thanks for the input guys 

I forgot to say I will be using paracord for 2 guide lines pegged down to help with stability I don’t know if it will help or not I just get fed up with carting the big heavy magnet ones and a big battery down the field with all the other stuff so trying to make all the kit lighter and less bulk 😁

hello, that looks a nice well made magnet DaveO, goes to show how many PW members are skilled at doing many things, including these 3 D machines, 

59 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have a single legged magnet with an inline vertical motor, I made up an aluminium base plate with three short spikes, will put a picture up shortly.

IMG_20190328_175326a.jpg

hello, another good idea Dave, i have started making the 3 section pigeon hide poles, cheers 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I used the motors from the Grandkids old Segway things and for the single leg, I used their old aluminium stilts. I used a short piece of 22mm flattened copper pipe, cut to a point and then soldered closed. It was then inserted in the hollow end of the stilt and bolted through. The stilts have a right angled footrest bolted onto them, so I now use the footrest to press the leg into the ground, the footrest then stops the whole thing from rotating. Fixed by a cable tie to the top end of the leg are 4 pieces of para cord around 2 mtrs. long. These are then simply stretched out and held by tent pegs pushed into the ground. I use hyper-flaps on both machines and the stilt poles are adjustable for height. The motor is secured to the top of the pole by 2 large jubilee clips. They are around 8 years old now (the machines, NOT the Grandkids) and still going strong. A 12v  12a/hr battery works all day.

12 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I have a single legged magnet with an inline vertical motor, I made up an aluminium base plate with three short spikes, will put a picture up shortly.

IMG_20190328_175326a.jpg

Dave (TC) could I ask if the small green circular collar on top of the base plate that you made, is the original that the rotary came with (but turned upside down) ? Mine has similar that the three aluminium ground spikes screwed into. My rotary, similar to yours, was from UKSW but I mislaid the spikes so had to buy a heavy metal three spike jobby that they now provide in lieu of the three Ali spikes (if that makes sense). What I keep meaning to do is get some Ali rod and make replacements.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

Morning Chris, yes that's the one UKSW, it is a great rotary only let down by the poor design of the footplate that held the spikes at an angle which caused them to make slots in to the ground and offered very little support.

Original spikes screwed in to a new wider foot plate affixed to the original angled footplate turned upside down and with three Allen headed bolts holding it together.

Much better grip in the ground.

I like the look of that magnet in the photos nice and compact 

I am hoping to pop up to the rap field later just to give this a go see what happens I’ll do a video and you all can see how it goes could be a laugh 😂 or it could end in tears but what ever happens I’ll still do a video lol

Well I didn’t get very far 😂😂😂

The 3D printed pegs to slot the arms on didn’t hold up to the weight of the arms I got 4 rotations of the magnet went to get my phone out to do a video then they gave way lol so no video tonight I have upgraded them now to aliumium so I’ll try again tomorrow take 2 😆

FEB74C8A-F609-4FBE-AA75-AD269847251C.jpeg

95A2A141-4E0C-4E5D-8B5A-C4C1247635E9.jpeg

7755CCE8-6CE6-454D-ADF2-90AB0F0557DA.jpeg

A680867C-B257-42CF-AB5A-A430DE882AE3.jpeg

15 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Morning Chris, yes that's the one UKSW, it is a great rotary only let down by the poor design of the footplate that held the spikes at an angle which caused them to make slots in to the ground and offered very little support.

Original spikes screwed in to a new wider foot plate affixed to the original angled footplate turned upside down and with three Allen headed bolts holding it together.

Much better grip in the ground.

Dave, that looks like a good adaption of the original. Certainly, the three spikes at an angle were not always the easiest to push into hard ground and not the most stable as opposed to three vertical spikes. Your version is similar to the heavy metal one now provided by UKSW but with the obvious advantage of lightness. Many thanks for posting that and I trust that you won't mind if I copy your design.

OB

3 hours ago, Dave0 said:

Well I didn’t get very far 😂😂😂

The 3D printed pegs to slot the arms on didn’t hold up to the weight of the arms I got 4 rotations of the magnet went to get my phone out to do a video then they gave way lol so no video tonight I have upgraded them now to aliumium so I’ll try again tomorrow take 2 😆

FEB74C8A-F609-4FBE-AA75-AD269847251C.jpeg

95A2A141-4E0C-4E5D-8B5A-C4C1247635E9.jpeg

7755CCE8-6CE6-454D-ADF2-90AB0F0557DA.jpeg

A680867C-B257-42CF-AB5A-A430DE882AE3.jpeg

Dave0, I admire your initiative in making your own rotary and wish you every success once it is finally perfected. Just out of interest, do the two Allen grub screws allow the arms to adjust up and down as the one by UKSW as Tightchoke's one above indicates ? I have found that by having one arm almost horizontal (if the crop allows) and the other set at an angle it gives the two decoys a less symmetrical and more realistic looking rotation. 

Also, I'm with Tightchoke and invariably use hyperflaps which, to my mind, give more 'flapping' movement and have proved more successful on many occasions than real birds, appreciating of course, that your one is predominantly made for use with hyperflaps and not real birds anyway.

Well done and good luck with it.

OB

8 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Dave, that looks like a good adaption of the original. Certainly, the three spikes at an angle were not always the easiest to push into hard ground and not the most stable as opposed to three vertical spikes. Your version is similar to the heavy metal one now provided by UKSW but with the obvious advantage of lightness. Many thanks for posting that and I trust that you won't mind if I copy your design.

OB

Not a problem at all, do you need any further pictures or dimensions?

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Very good, can I suggest you angle the Hypaflaps inwards a little.:good:

I agree, angled in, they present a slightly more natural look as though the birds are landing. It also goes to illustrate what I believe that the hypaflaps give far more movement than real birds.

Well done Dave0, that looks a good lightweight set up. you should be well pleased. Just got to try it in the field and see what the pigeons think !

OB

10 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Not a problem at all, do you need any further pictures or dimensions?

Dave,

I would greatly appreciate some further details and dimensions if it`s not too much trouble. Will PM my email address if that makes it easier to send details.

Many thanks,

Chris

On 30/03/2019 at 18:21, Old Boggy said:

I agree, angled in, they present a slightly more natural look as though the birds are landing. It also goes to illustrate what I believe that the hypaflaps give far more movement than real birds.

Well done Dave0, that looks a good lightweight set up. you should be well pleased. Just got to try it in the field and see what the pigeons think !

OB

Dave,

I would greatly appreciate some further details and dimensions if it`s not too much trouble. Will PM my email address if that makes it easier to send details.

Many thanks,

Chris

I hope you have everything you need!:good:

For anyone wanting to have a go at this build you will need 2x1m M8 threaded bar 12 M8 nuts the motor I have used is ZGB37RG 47.5i sorry don’t have a link for it M3 screws to fix the motor to the plate a 6mm motor coupling hub then I used some arms from another magnet but you can make your own up to fit 

ill attach a photo of the measurements for the motor plate and the support plates 

then 4 guidelines and 4 pegs 

only thing I can’t say is how long the motor will last as I haven’t put it through a full days test yet 

the build cost me around £30

the weight is just over 1kg with no arms

545A76E8-26DE-4EC7-B1E7-3C59C6B46AAC.jpeg

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I hope you have everything you need!:good:

Dave, yes the photos you kindly sent, give me all the information I need. Just got to source some ali rod as I mislaid the original ones. I am thinking of making the baseplate (like your aluminium one) out of some 1 inch thick plastic that I have and instead of tapping the ali rods into it,which probably wouldn`t work, secure them with nuts and washers both sides. What do you think ?

OB