Speed limiters on all new cars from 2022

poontang

So it seems the EU have decided that all new cars sold in Europe (and the UK have agreed to follow suit) from 2022 will have to be fitted with speed limiters to automatically stop drivers from breaking speed limits.

Irrespective of the obvious 'big brother' connotations how will this play out with car manufacturers across the continent? Surely anyone thinking of buying a new car will be less likely to stump up their hard earned for a new Ferrari/Porshe/Maserati etc if they can't get past Mrs.Miggins from Basingstoke in her Renault Twingo on the M25. 

I'm pretty sure new car sales will take a nosedive when this is forced upon consumers as people buy secondhand, or keep faith with what they already drive. I really can't see the big German, French and Italian car manufacturers being too enthralled by this. 

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, that'll please the elitist Germans who will be in charge of the European population: 

Found on Google: 'While most countries across the world have imposed upper speed limits, Germany is among a small number of countries, including Afghanistan and North Korea, not to follow suit. According to European Transport Safety Council (ETSC), 52% of the German highways don't have speed limits'

Edited by Dave-G

My car already has a speed limiter, bloody irritating thing cuts in at just about 155mph 😉 

This feature referred to here is long over-due and will have a manual over-ride so I'm not sure what the kerfuffle is really all about?

There's other features coming too including driver monitoring as a requirement for new vehicles to get a Euro NCAP 5 star rating from 2020.

There may or may not be an agenda to introduce features that will coerce the public into acceptance of higher levels of automated driving and full autonomy later.

Its all right deleting such restrictions but now its simple to plug in a bluetooth adapter to the obd 2 port and a phone add you can view live data wipe codes and police or vosa will be able to check if such things have been tampered with just off their phones not even a need for a laptop or vag com /lexia tec 2 any dedicated software.

If its deleted nullities your insurance its a big risk for what you gain and breaking the law as the potential to put your bank balance in jeopardy or perhaps your gun licences.   when restrictors come  in best to just accept them  .

Vosa pulled in a mate who inocently purchased a AUDI a6 it had been de DPFed and holow cat visualy just a cat but borred out and lined in steel so it even felt sounded good when tapped, but vosa found it and he was lucky to get away with a warning cost hin around a thousand pounds to replace everything to standard again . they are shutting the door on the tempering and modifying with newer cars, and as more and more new technology becomes available i think it will get more difficult to bypass things.