Speed limiters on all new cars from 2022

poontang

On 30/03/2019 at 09:37, buze said:

.........Self braking is pretty straightforward, just needs one set of sensor, and the input for sensors that are good enough to integrate quickly and calculate your differential speed in real time. Even then, I bet it's very confused if it rains, or if a bike overtakes you and goes in front of your car, or tons of little corner cases you need to take into account to prevent the system sending the driver into the windscreen.

My Skoda has adaptive Cruise Control and collision avoidance It does get confused by Bikes, it's ok in rain but stops working in the snow.  I had a Nissan for a few weeks that got confused by bollards on corners.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twice yesterday within five minutes my missus' car decided it wasn't safe to reverse and intervened and prevented me from doing so when the objects it detected were false triggers - I can only assume it was something to do with the sunlight or a reflection. Weird and annoying. These systems still have a long way to go...

On 30/03/2019 at 17:34, Scully said:

I enjoy driving. It would be handy to have a computer to take over in a city or heavy congestion, but on the whole I enjoy the process of driving. 

I’m with you, I’d be gutted if I had to sit as a passenger in some clone car ☹️

I love driving and run a heavily modified MX5. Love the feedback i get and just the freedom of going where i want when i want. Its not uncommon for me to be out on the moors with the roof down & daft o'clock in the morning. Even a 10 minute drive home from work can on a summer/winter evening often turns into a 2hr run out.Take this away from me and you might as well send me to my grave.I don't smoke,drink,gamble or shoot anymore and motoring is the only enjoyment i have in life.56 yrs old now and was hoping to motor on for another 20yrs. I'm more concerned about the PAY AS YOU GO attitude that local authorities are trying to impose than the high tech future. Have to get a modified mobility scooter lol, and rip up the pavements.

Newcastle are trying to impose a £16 per day charge within a 20 mile radius of the city.How many other authorities  plan to follow?

On 01/04/2019 at 07:23, Dibble said:

My Skoda has adaptive Cruise Control and collision avoidance It does get confused by Bikes, it's ok in rain but stops working in the snow.  I had a Nissan for a few weeks that got confused by bollards on corners.

I get confused by bikes too, well cyclists anyhow. 

Can't see why the uk will go along with this if we leave the EU just sums up how FUBAR we have become. We keep moaning about being made redundant yet we keep working on more advanced A.I systems for all kinds of stuff. Have a feeling it will not end well.

13 hours ago, fse10 said:

Can't see why the uk will go along with this if we leave the EU just sums up how FUBAR we have become. We keep moaning about being made redundant yet we keep working on more advanced A.I systems for all kinds of stuff. Have a feeling it will not end well.

As I keep saying to people who fear "AI" will replace us, it's far, far FAR from ready for anything useful unless the context is so artificially limited that it's pretty much useless in the real world. Chess? OK. Go? Ok. Driving? LOL.

Here, look how AI deals with stickers on the road: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/02/tencent_tesla_hacking/

That AI/Robot fear mongering is done by people who don't understand anything about it. 

13 hours ago, fse10 said:

It's all to do with the UK government industrial strategy, they set out four grand challenges:

AI and the analysis of big data

clean growth

future of mobility

ageing society

There are a number of other challenges including the Faraday challenge for advances in battery technology.

There are also various deals and all manner of other things.

On the subject of automated driving the govt want to make UK PLC the global test bed for connected and autonomous vehicles, Brexit has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works but they continue regardless.

30 minutes ago, buze said:

As I keep saying to people who fear "AI" will replace us, it's far, far FAR from ready for anything useful unless the context is so artificially limited that it's pretty much useless in the real world. Chess? OK. Go? Ok. Driving? LOL.

Here, look how AI deals with stickers on the road: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/02/tencent_tesla_hacking/

That AI/Robot fear mongering is done by people who don't understand anything about it. 

Wouldn't you agree that it all depends on context and autonomy levels? Cars with no steering wheel for every day use is at least 15 years away. The article highlights the key issue which is around connectivity, security and collaborating machines working on the basis that data received is valid, it's demonstrably flawed assumption and having a truly autonomous vehicle with no dependency on connectivity to infrastructure or other users is where the gap exists.

The AI/ML is reasonably well developed but the issues occur around the corner cases - proper robust level 3 automated driving will be on the roads in Europe in few years.

Typically with the hacks on production cars it's relatively straightforward to identify the vulnerability in a general sense but isolating that and targetting a specific vehicle is where the issue lies, at least normally.

Career criminals such as myself who are caught doing 35mph in a 30mph zone welcome this with open arms. Our recklessness and wilful disregard for the law need to be kept in check as we aren't fit to use a throttle pedal without supervision.

It'll either mean people won't buy new cars or someone will find a way to disable big brother in the cockpit. 

Having read through this topic, I'm gutted to learn that fully autonomous vehicles are such a long way off. I was looking forward to the revival of country pubs and the ability to have a few (!) drinks and then have my car drive me home. Seems that people like me (meat eater, car driver, shooter, fisherman, drinker, opinionated) would be better shifting off this mortal coil. That's my Victor Meldrew rant for today. Over and out. 

Just now, walshie said:

Do you think the EU would allow that much control?

As far as I'm aware it's not a legislated feature that must be enabled, the cars have to be fitted with it but the user can choose to disable it. Don't know enough details yet like if it has to be disabled every ignition cycle or can be configured off by default.

All joking aside, I welcome the feature and it's something that I have been advocating for a while since all the technology exists already - actually wouldn't be surprised if it's not already available as an ADAS optional extra on some cars or at least planned in the future independently of EU rules.

As long as it's enablement is a choice I don't see the problem / objection - it would have saved me a smart motorway speed awareness course last year 😉

10 minutes ago, WestonSalop said:

Having read through this topic, I'm gutted to learn that fully autonomous vehicles are such a long way off. I was looking forward to the revival of country pubs and the ability to have a few (!) drinks and then have my car drive me home. Seems that people like me (meat eater, car driver, shooter, fisherman, drinker, opinionated) would be better shifting off this mortal coil. That's my Victor Meldrew rant for today. Over and out. 

The people saying it would be available by 2025 were living in dream land and reality recently bit. Frankly speaking I wouldn't bet on steering wheel deletion even by 2035 and that would be an obvious prerequisite of being legally in the car whilst under the influence. I agree it's a shame not having the choice, at times I want to be in control and driving but on some journeys and certainly in heavy traffic I'd be well up for having a nap or doing some email etc.

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I thought it would be fitted to all new cars at the specified time. But it was always on and could be over-ridden by the right foot if needs be.

I had a speed limiter on a car a few years back. You could set it to whatever speed you wanted and no amount of boot would let you exceed that speed. It's handy for roadworks etc where you can set it at 50 and not worry about creeping over, but then cruise control does the same thing.

As it was in my car, it was handy when I wanted to use it. I suspect this new idea will be on until you switch it off rather than vice-versa. Default = Nanny. Override = Grown up.

Just now, walshie said:

I had a speed limiter on a car a few years back. You could set it to whatever speed you wanted and no amount of boot would let you exceed that speed. It's handy for roadworks etc where you can set it at 50 and not worry about creeping over, but then cruise control does the same thing.

As it was in my car, it was handy when I wanted to use it. I suspect this new idea will be on until you switch it off rather than vice-versa. Default = Nanny. Override = Grown up.

You're probably right. There was a passive system fitted to mondeos I used to drive over three years ago. The new Ford transit has a fully featured Intelligent Speed Assistance system but no idea what the default is or if it will change for 2022 legislation.

12 minutes ago, KFC said:

Which taxes will rise to replace all the speeding taxes not levied?

With all the reduction in accidents, the savings for the NHS would make a tax reduction the likely outcome (obvs)

Writes he with his tongue planted firmly in cheek  😀

Edited by amateur

1 hour ago, KFC said:

Insurance companies will find a way to raise their premiums as they'll be insuring the cars not people (at least directly) and it's expected that ownership models will change by then too.

Government will receive tax from the insurance and probably tax based on pay as you go.

Don't forget that the cars will be electric so emissions based road tax will have to go too.

They'll have it all covered by then.

1 hour ago, KFC said:

Whenever someone switches off their speed limiter, a speeding fine will automatically be issued as the driver is obviously thinking about speeding. No need for proof of any kind. Disobedience will not be tolerated.