Mossberg 535 or Benelli Super Nova

AYA117

What are you looking to use it for ? I have a supernova that I'm relatively fond of. When they work, they work wonderfully. I have seen a few with issues around extraction and ejection, but they've been abused.

One thing I would say is that they're not great for people with shorter arms - the reach is quite long. Took me some getting used to.

Had a super nova was good a little heavy but worked great, not had a 535 but had a 500 for several years of the two guns To use i liked the 500 more but i think the super nova is better made overall. Of the two i think i would go for the super nova .

have a Mossberg 535 will shoot any length up to 3.5"   shell only had it jam once when I was given a home loaded steel shell by another  which over pressured and flattened the primer had to bump it on the ground   I shoot home loads of lead and steel  and have not had a problem      spares are readily available  through brownells    also thumb safety    only have three multi chokes  which pattern really well  aftermarket Carlson chokes not too expensive 

Edited by Saltings

4 hours ago, AYA117 said:

Thank you for the replies. Still not sure which way to go. I like the fact that the Mossberg has the safety in the ' normal ' place, but the Benelli seems to be better made. Toss a coin I guess.

Benelli gets my vote.  And another point on the Mossberg top tang safety catch position when they get old they can flick on under recoil i had an old Mossberg 88 did this it was a detraction .

I've had both, more of an item of interest to shoot clays with than using it over saltwater at ducks. My Supernova was reasonably stiff to pump, and after 75 rounds i just couldn't be bothered to pump it any more. They're supposed to be really slick so maybe I had a duff one, or I hadn't adjusted the hex screws on the forend properly. The Mossberg was a Mossberg... Not pretty but it goes bang when you want it to.

If i were to have another I'd go for a Supernova, albeit without the godawful pistol grip stock. What I'd really like is a basic Nova if i can find one secondhand for a dirt cheap price.