First decoy shoot tomorrow

sam triple

Right tomorrow I embark on my first decoying shoot will be using some of the decoys TR1 kindly gave to me ,my mate drilled the field where we will be shooting weds before they had finished drilling the field he said birds were coming in on it ,he just text me and said there’s about 500 on it now 

hopefully tomorrow will be a productive day and I’ll post some pics ,if no photos you can guess what happened or not 

Well hard to know where to start ,or rather it didn’t ,mate and I set up at opposite sides of a100 acre field and waited the 500 or so birds that were there Friday,were no  where to be seen ,after 7 hrs I had shot 4 birds there was just nothing flying biggest flock we saw of about 40 birds was way out ,there were more pheasants,partridge and hares than pigeons ,my mate was gutted after telling me of  vast numbers 

on the flip side I’m pleased that all 4  that I’d shot were decoying in so I know my pattern was good ,won’t put me off though ,got to take the  rough with the smooth as the saying goes 

need to find some land of my own to shoot now 

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Well hard to know where to start ,or rather it didn’t ,mate and I set up at opposite sides of a100 acre field and waited the 500 or so birds that were there Friday,were no  where to be seen ,after 7 hrs I had shot 4 birds there was just nothing flying biggest flock we saw of about 40 birds was way out ,there were more pheasants,partridge and hares than pigeons ,my mate was gutted after telling me of  vast numbers 

on the flip side I’m pleased that all 4  that I’d shot were decoying in so I know my pattern was good ,won’t put me off though ,got to take the  rough with the smooth as the saying goes 

It's pretty obvious that some of those 500 pigeons are members on here and the word got out that you were heading after them.:rolleyes:

As you say take the rough with the smooth, learn and move on to the next day.

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Had you shot a bag full you may have considered that decoying pigeons was easy. Mostly it is not and there will be disappointments along the way.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It's pretty obvious that some of those 500 pigeons are members on here and the word got out that you were heading after them.:rolleyes:

As you say take the rough with the smooth, learn and move on to the next day.

😂😂👍

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Had you shot a bag full you may have considered that decoying pigeons was easy. Mostly it is not and there will be disappointments along the way.

👍

Welcome to pigeon shooting, it never goes as it should and the secret is keep changing and remember what works. You can only shoot the birds that return to the field and sometimes they don't. I don't like using a magnet on seed but that's a personal choice. You state that you shot four were they the only birds returning? Did you have birds feeding on the field when you arrived?

Thanks for imput guys ,I know from my carp fishing days how frustrating it can be ,one day you could catch all day long next day same place same lake it’ll be baron ,(carp we’re stuck in the same lake ,and couldn’t go anywhere,which made that that even more frustrating) won’t let it get me down though 

5 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Welcome to pigeon shooting, it never goes as it should and the secret is keep changing and remember what works. You can only shoot the birds that return to the field and sometimes they don't. I don't like using a magnet on seed but that's a personal choice. You state that you shot four were they the only birds returning? Did you have birds feeding on the field when you arrived?

There were a few on the field more in the surrounding ash trees ,they could well have been feeding on the buds