Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sam triple

First decoy shoot tomorrow

Recommended Posts

Right tomorrow I embark on my first decoying shoot will be using some of the decoys TR1 kindly gave to me ,my mate drilled the field where we will be shooting weds before they had finished drilling the field he said birds were coming in on it ,he just text me and said there’s about 500 on it now 

hopefully tomorrow will be a productive day and I’ll post some pics ,if no photos you can guess what happened or not 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck. Nothing more exciting than the anticipation of your first day out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well hard to know where to start ,or rather it didn’t ,mate and I set up at opposite sides of a100 acre field and waited the 500 or so birds that were there Friday,were no  where to be seen ,after 7 hrs I had shot 4 birds there was just nothing flying biggest flock we saw of about 40 birds was way out ,there were more pheasants,partridge and hares than pigeons ,my mate was gutted after telling me of  vast numbers 

on the flip side I’m pleased that all 4  that I’d shot were decoying in so I know my pattern was good ,won’t put me off though ,got to take the  rough with the smooth as the saying goes 

need to find some land of my own to shoot now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Well hard to know where to start ,or rather it didn’t ,mate and I set up at opposite sides of a100 acre field and waited the 500 or so birds that were there Friday,were no  where to be seen ,after 7 hrs I had shot 4 birds there was just nothing flying biggest flock we saw of about 40 birds was way out ,there were more pheasants,partridge and hares than pigeons ,my mate was gutted after telling me of  vast numbers 

on the flip side I’m pleased that all 4  that I’d shot were decoying in so I know my pattern was good ,won’t put me off though ,got to take the  rough with the smooth as the saying goes 

need to find some land of my own to shoot now 

It's pretty obvious that some of those 500 pigeons are members on here and the word got out that you were heading after them.:rolleyes:

 

As you say take the rough with the smooth, learn and move on to the next day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Well hard to know where to start ,or rather it didn’t ,mate and I set up at opposite sides of a100 acre field and waited the 500 or so birds that were there Friday,were no  where to be seen ,after 7 hrs I had shot 4 birds there was just nothing flying biggest flock we saw of about 40 birds was way out ,there were more pheasants,partridge and hares than pigeons ,my mate was gutted after telling me of  vast numbers 

on the flip side I’m pleased that all 4  that I’d shot were decoying in so I know my pattern was good ,won’t put me off though ,got to take the  rough with the smooth as the saying goes 

need to find some land of my own to shoot now 

Had you shot a bag full you may have considered that decoying pigeons was easy. Mostly it is not and there will be disappointments along the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It's pretty obvious that some of those 500 pigeons are members on here and the word got out that you were heading after them.:rolleyes:

 

As you say take the rough with the smooth, learn and move on to the next day.

😂😂👍

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Had you shot a bag full you may have considered that decoying pigeons was easy. Mostly it is not and there will be disappointments along the way.

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drillings are  not easy to get correct,once the food source has gone so are the birds. That can be literally 1000 pigeons one day ,all gone the next. Good luck next time and as JDog said it's not easy so keep learning from every trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to pigeon shooting, it never goes as it should and the secret is keep changing and remember what works. You can only shoot the birds that return to the field and sometimes they don't. I don't like using a magnet on seed but that's a personal choice. You state that you shot four were they the only birds returning? Did you have birds feeding on the field when you arrived?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for imput guys ,I know from my carp fishing days how frustrating it can be ,one day you could catch all day long next day same place same lake it’ll be baron ,(carp we’re stuck in the same lake ,and couldn’t go anywhere,which made that that even more frustrating) won’t let it get me down though 

5 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

Welcome to pigeon shooting, it never goes as it should and the secret is keep changing and remember what works. You can only shoot the birds that return to the field and sometimes they don't. I don't like using a magnet on seed but that's a personal choice. You state that you shot four were they the only birds returning? Did you have birds feeding on the field when you arrived?

There were a few on the field more in the surrounding ash trees ,they could well have been feeding on the buds 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the drilling here the birds were only on it one day then moved on you just got to be right place right time. keep at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...