Ravens .22 or goose load ?

islandgun

Not wanting to hijack the carts for crows thread.....Ive been asked by the grazing committee of a couple of townships [communal grazing] to shoot ravens at lambing, lambing is outside and ravens will kill a new born lamb at its birth [although i think the afterbirth is most sort after] licence is given to the township to discourage ravens including shooting.. So Im wondering how folks would go about shooting ravens, im thinking 22 from truck window, but maybe a goose load would deter the others from returning.. any thoughts ? 

RF for the range, but you have to ensure you hit mass. If you think you can get close enough with a shotgun I would have thought anything around the 32grm 4's or 5's would do it. 

I think your biggest problem will actually be having to be there, unless you're retired or otherwise have the time to commit to it. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

RF for the range, but you have to ensure you hit mass. If you think you can get close enough with a shotgun I would have thought anything around the 32grm 4's or 5's would do it. 

I think your biggest problem will actually be having to be there, unless you're retired or otherwise have the time to commit to it. 

Thanks everyone.. Not retired and usually pushed for time, although the lambing isnt for all that long.  My take is deterrent rather than numbers killed. mostly to be seen by crofters to be doing something. I guess both the R/F and shotgun would be the way to go as they dont  seem to flock, just randomly fly about looking for food, I did wonder about sitting out with bait [dead lamb] or drive about.. I suppose i want to see if anyone had any experience of driving off ravens or other unwanted animals from a given area and what they found to be most effective

You don't have to shoot many to stop the rest coming back. They are clever birds.

I think it is better to definitely kill one or two than try to shoot at them lots of times. Use a rifle for definite kill rather than run around with a shotgun teaching them to keep away from you rather than the sheep/lambs.

When you shoot one hang it up, better still pull it to pieces, cut the wings off and spread them around. Make sure the others see you do it i.e. straight away.

Sounds primitive but it works and you don't do a lot to the raven numbers.

9 hours ago, CharlieT said:

Dead ewe, good hide, rifle, and time on your hands early morning...........job done

:good:

17 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

You don't have to shoot many to stop the rest coming back. They are clever birds.

I think it is better to definitely kill one or two than try to shoot at them lots of times. Use a rifle for definite kill rather than run around with a shotgun teaching them to keep away from you rather than the sheep/lambs.

When you shoot one hang it up, better still pull it to pieces, cut the wings off and spread them around. Make sure the others see you do it i.e. straight away.

Sounds primitive but it works and you don't do a lot to the raven numbers.

Thats it cheers.. I had heard talk that one old boy used to lay down, keep very still and they would get closer out of curiosity. I'd also heard that greylag would not come back for a while if one of their number was shot with a rifle, supposed to spook them. 

So it will be use a dead ewe for bait, early mornings, shoot one or two, scatter the bits then move on.. sounds like a plan.. cheers folks 

• 1 month later...

Whilst I understand the damage that Ravens do, particularly to lambs, fawns and birds I personally could never shoot one. I say this from the standpoint of someone who has never suffered financial loss from their activities.

If your control results in fewer losses then fine.

Just as well they are protected then.

There are serious numbers about this area, and I think their resurgence has taken everyone by surprise. If you get one that takes an interest in your flock at lambing they are devastating. Taking tongues of lambs is a particularly nasty habit they have. As the lambs will starve to death in proceeding days. It's not just about the financial loss, but speaking from a human perspective it is a very cruel death, and livestock keepers owe their animals a duty of care.

Fortunately the licencing on controlling them is becoming more sensible, and with good reason. As the posts above have said above they are extremely intelligent, and it's why unfortunately lethal control sometimes is the only option as deterrents get ignored. However, usually it is just a problem individual or two, and once you sort that the problem goes away. Good luck sorting it out. @CharlieT is on the money.

5 minutes ago, Teal said:

Just as well they are protected then.

There are serious numbers about this area, and I think their resurgence has taken everyone by surprise. If you get one that takes an interest in your flock at lambing they are devastating. Taking tongues of lambs is a particularly nasty habit they have. As the lambs will starve to death in proceeding days. It's not just about the financial loss, but speaking from a human perspective it is a very cruel death, and livestock keepers owe their animals a duty of care.

Fortunately the licencing on controlling them is becoming more sensible, and with good reason. As the posts above have said above they are extremely intelligent, and it's why unfortunately lethal control sometimes is the only option as deterrents get ignored. However, usually it is just a problem individual or two, and once you sort that the problem goes away. Good luck sorting it out. @CharlieT is on the money.

So Teal have you shot Ravens under licence?

No, I haven't needed to. Not all ravens are problem as per previous, it's often just an individual or small family group that has learned behaviour. But there are a couple of licences to shoot them in the county, where they are causing damage. Sheep farmers talk about these things. Would I get licence and shoot a raven if it were happening to my own flock? Absolutely.

I'm on 60 carrion crows this year, and that is running a larsen right beside my lambing flock, so it couldn't be any more targeted. Still lost 2 lambs to them though. I do like corvids, and my university dissertation was on avian intelligence where I studied rooks. But when you have livestock you have to look after them.

We have a pair in our area ..West Leicestershire, distinctive CLONK CLONK as they fly over my wood occasionally. I have not heard of any damage to lambs yet. We have a fair number of sheep around the area.  They are in my view an iconic bird but like almost all corvids, in controlled numbers they are rarely a problem. Three years ago one of my farms was awash with magpies, 100-150 would get off the slurry pits and I am not kidding. They where all in the feed barns and over the silage. The farmer asked me to do something about it. In 3 months I had shot 134 and I am now on just over 300 and we have to my knowedge 3 pairs in the area ...now that is balance in my view.  Apart from the bio security issue just think how many song birds I have saved.