.308 or 6.5 Creedmore

steve_b_wales

Later this year, I'm going to join a new shooting range that will be opening, and I'm planning on purchasing another rifle, mainly for range use up to 600 mtrs. I intended buying a .308 but have read good reports on the 6.5 Creedmore. I intend reloading my own ammunition.

Any opinions on these calibres, or something else, welcomed.

I heard some news about a new range somewhere in Wales, any details Steve? 

From lots of reading (I get bored and read a lot) the 6.5 is getting rave reviews and lots of hype. Apparently a very good cartridge. 

The 308 is obviously an age old cartridge and been around for a long old time. 

I’ve got a slot for a 308 atm although not sure what to get in ... 

6 hours ago, Blacksheep said:

Hi sorry don't know anything about those calibers but would be interested to know any details about a new range close to home , cheers 

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I heard some news about a new range somewhere in Wales, any details Steve? 

From lots of reading (I get bored and read a lot) the 6.5 is getting rave reviews and lots of hype. Apparently a very good cartridge. 

The 308 is obviously an age old cartridge and been around for a long old time. 

I’ve got a slot for a 308 atm although not sure what to get in ... 

The range will be in Senghenydd near Caerphilly, and the final forms etc have been signed. The club will eventually (so I've been told) have 600 mtr targets. There are also plans for clay pigeon shooting, black powder shooting, running boar, NV shooting and Ladies Days.

The club of course will take time to get everything up and running, and the more members he gets, the more money can be ploughed back into the range. I'm looking forward to joining when it's opened.

I've heard and read nothing but good things about 6.5 Creedmoor, but sadly have never shot it.

I do however have a .308 win, which is a great round and I often shot 600 Metres with great results.

From what I can gather creedmoor is slightly better with regards to bullet drop and in the wind.

I don't think you will regret whichever one you buy. Good luck. 

46 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I've heard and read nothing but good things about 6.5 Creedmoor, but sadly have never shot it.

I do however have a .308 win, which is a great round and I often shot 600 Metres with great results.

From what I can gather creedmoor is slightly better with regards to bullet drop and in the wind.

Do you shoot factory ammo? What are the groups like at 600? 

55 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

To be honest, I will probably go with the .308. More choice of rifles with this calibre, and I have at least 100 once fired cases that I would use for reloading. I used to have a .308 a few years back and it was excellent.

Yes factory ammo at the moment but I intend to reload eventually.

Grouping is a bit trickier, when we shoot, we shoot 2 people on the same target alternating each shot so don't really get to shoot groups and the target is dropped and marked each time. I can only mark it roughly with the spotting scope.

On a clear day I will consistently shoot 49 or 50/50 with quite a few V-bulls.

Not sure what size the Bull and V-bull are but will check next time I shoot 600.

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

The range will be in Senghenydd near Caerphilly, and the final forms etc have been signed. The club will eventually (so I've been told) have 600 mtr targets. There are also plans for clay pigeon shooting, black powder shooting, running boar, NV shooting and Ladies Days.

The club of course will take time to get everything up and running, and the more members he gets, the more money can be ploughed back into the range. I'm looking forward to joining when it's opened.

Nice one cheers

Steve, 

the CM is becoming more mainstream from manufacturers and has plenty high BC bullet offerings which are very efficient that are available to the reloader, also the factory stuff from Hornady that I have seen is sub .5" MOA all day, small primer Lapua brass lasts very well. That said if you like the 308 it's more than good enough for the range you mention but a new calibre is always exciting, good luck with your choice mate.

The 6.5 looks very popular over the pond steve. No personal experience of it but what i have seen on the net would make a serious long range tool. I have no need to go above 243 with what i do. I do get invites regular with reds but to be fair the 243 has never looked too small on them. My next caliber will be 204. Afyer using a mates a lot recent on foxes awesome little round

Go for the .308 . I have shot the venerable .308 for many ,many years in the stalking mood and in the .7.62 mood in target rifles . I have shot them out to 1200 yards and they will never let you down . The .308 is one of the most versatile rounds ever invented and has been wildcatted  by many ,but in my opinion never bettered. 

Harnser

2 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

The 6.5 looks very popular over the pond steve. No personal experience of it but what i have seen on the net would make a serious long range tool. I have no need to go above 243 with what i do. I do get invites regular with reds but to be fair the 243 has never looked too small on them. My next caliber will be 204. Afyer using a mates a lot recent on foxes awesome little round

My .243 has always been perfect for my shooting (Fox, Deer, Target) and last year, I purchased a .204 (Howa 1500 Heavy Barrel) and it's awesome. Ground feeding Corvids' taken way out past 180 yards.(if I do my bit) An excellent calibre with plenty of punch.

Of the 2 I would go for the .308. Mainly as said above much larger range of rifles and reloading components and easier to get (at the moment!). 6.5cr uses a lot more powder and the cases are very expensive to buy at the moment so reloading is considerably more expensive than for the venerable .308. I have shot 3 different 6.5cr rifles and yes they are good but no better than my 6.5x55 (which might be a caliber you could consider as an alternative to the Creedmoor). If you are not intending shooting out beyond 600 then the .308 will give you a lot of fun and at a reasonable budget, there is also a huge amount of info around about loads and different components which at this time is a bit scarce for the cr. 

just given up my .308 slot as there was nothing it could do that my 6.5x55 can’t. 

Hope that helps? 

Edited by The Burpster
Typo

13 minutes ago, The Burpster said:

Of the 2 I would go for the .308. Mainly as said above much larger range of rifles and reloading components and easier to get (at the moment!). 6.5cr uses a lot more powder and the cases are very expensive to buy at the moment so reloading is considerably more expensive than for the venerable .308. I have shot 3 different 6.5cr rifles and yes they are good but no better than my 6.5x55 (which might be a caliber you could consider as an alternative to the Creedmoor). If you are not intending shooting out beyond 600 then the .308 will give you a lot of fun and at a reasonable budget, there is also a huge amount of info around about loads and different components which at this time is a bit scarce for the cr. 

just given up my .308 slot as there was nothing it could do that my 6.5x55 can’t. 

Hope that helps? 

Thanks.:good: