Closing a 525

rayo

I’ve got the chance of buying a used 525 so this afternoon I had a few shots with it and noticed if i closed it gently it would not fire as though the safety was on but closing it a little more forcefully there was a different  sound from the action and it fired no problem , the lad recons it was just me closing it to softly as I’ve never fired a browning before I don’t know if this is normal or not 

the gun fits me fine so I’m tempted to buy it if it’s usual for Brownings to work like that

any advice greatly appreciated and thanks in advance 

Edited by rayo

11 minutes ago, rayo said:

I’ve got the chance of buying a used 525 so this afternoon I had a few shots with it and noticed if i closed it gently it would not fire as though the safety was on but closing it a little more forcefully there was a different  sound from the action and it fired no problem , the lad recons it was just me closing it to softly as I’ve never fired a browning before I don’t know if this is normal or not 

the gun fits me fine so I’m tempted to buy it if it’s usual for Brownings to work like that

any advice greatly appreciated and thanks in advance 

hello, never had a problem with my 525, once you fire 2 cartridges, turn lever as far right to go, push down barrels to fully open load 2 more and snap shut, if that browning has not been used much the top lever will not be straight down, a few thousand is required to bed in the action  

I never 'slam' a gun closed and my 725 closes quite easily and has done that straight from the box. Try a light smear of grease in the bites below the barrels, that can sometimes help with both opening and closing the gun.  They are the 2 grooves facing you on the bits that hang under the barrels and drop into the bottom of the action.

Edited by Westley

When you close it gently - does the top lever swing into the correct position - i'm guessing not quite? Not sure if this model has the small pin that sits proud of the breach face (near the top lever) - if so push it in with a small rod and squirt WD40 down the hole - just a little.

Edited by bruno22rf

I brought a new 525 two years ago within the first year it had to go back to have two new firing pins and springs,six months later it went back again this time the leaver was so tight I had to force it open,so I've traded it in for something else it's put me off Browning's, mine might just have been a one off

Quick update I’ve just been back to his permission to try a few shots again .This afternoon I was using cartridges that he loaded himself so tonight I tried some of my clear pigeon and HB pigeon through and i could close it gently and it fired without any problems so I’m thinking it must have been his self loaded cartridges 

So looks like I’m buying it  thanks for the feedback folks

If you don't open the gun fully it won't engage the trigger, the gun can open far enough to drop a cart into the bottom barrel without engaging the trigger, if the gun closes but won't fire and doesn't want to eject the carts on reopening, it hasn't been opened far enough to begin with.

This happened to me a bit when I first bought a new 525, my normal holding the stock in my right arm opening and allowing the barrels to fall, reloading with the left hand; didn't work every time, at first, as the gun was quite tight, meaning that the weight of the open unsupported barrels weren't heavy enough on their own to fall the necessary distance of travel to do the do. They do now, now that the gun has had 14 or 15 thousand rounds through it . 

Bottom firing pin was replaced at around 10,000 rounds.

If the 525 fits you, and it's not that difficult to make that model fit most folk, then you won't go far wrong with it. Good gun in my opinion. 

Edited by Uilleachan
editing