Committed

We set out this morning not knowing what we might find to shoot, as I drove out of the city we phoned a couple of our farms which we anticipated that they may have drilled some barley. Both were zero, we had some grass fields that had been sprayed off and we anticipated that they would be direct drilled, Nil. We looked at two farms on the rape but with the good weather they were well away. As we approached another farm with rape we found two fields of fresh seeding and as we checked  the field the farmer drove up behind us. Great he said you can have a days shooting keeping the crows off my seed. We agreed and went to see the rape on the same farm only to finds approx two hundred birds down. We walked them off and they just went off into the distance. We had to wait as the farmer was finishing his drilling, so we went for a drive to look at other rape, nothing, when we returned The flock was on another part of the rape but they were playing follow the leader by sitting in the trees and one drops in and they all follow. So we spooked them off again and went for another drive on our return they were down again. We had no wind so it was difficult to determine the best location to shoot the birds from. So we set up and put out the normal twelve fresh birds. DB had a couple of shots then agreed to go over and shoot the crows as he wanted to train the dog on corvids. It was now 12.00 and I continued on my own. The birds reacted in a strange manner as the farm had obviously been shot hard over the winter and the birds were wary of decoys so they would avoid coming direct to the pattern but stay high and circle and come in from the back of me. So you had to be aware of birds coming from any direction. We finished shooting at 17.30 and I picked up seventyfour pigeons and DB brought back fortythree corvids. So we did our duty to the farmer and shot his crows and I managed a bag of pigeon.   

100-3392.jpg

74 Pigeons and 43 corvids

Sometimes you have to keep the farmers happy. I was called to have a look at sorting some pigeons on sprouting beans a week ago. I turned up to find no birds!

At least DB had a good crack at the blacks, and you had a good session on the pigeons.