What would you do?

MarcMaxus

Hi Gents, 

After some advice. We live in a mid terrace up here in sunny Lancashire. We have 2 guys that live directly behind us that like to feed birds. They have a small outbuilding in their yard that they throw bread on the roof each day.

The problem is its attracted a **** load of crows etc. And I mean, **** loads. They are now every single morning at 1st light rattling around in our gutters, screeching, flapping around and making a bloody massive great racket. Its waking us up every morning around 5am starting with scratching around pecking in the gutters, then the numbers build and they fight over the bread the neighbours have put out behind our house. I'm at my absolute whits end with it. They have even managed to knock our satellite signal out because they all sit on it, scrapping all over. The cars are covered in bird **** as are all our windows. I've knocked on to politely ask they don't feed the birds but no one ever comes to the door. I've posted a polite note through the door, still no response. I'd shoot every single one of the little bast*ards but I cant safely, theres no way. I'd have to sit in my yard and shoot upwards hitting them sat on the gutter so I'd have pellets leaving the boundary. Shotgun an obvious no, even though I feel like doing it!!! Would a bird if prey decoy work perhaps?

It's getting to a point now its driving us both daft. I'm even thinking of getting my mates blank fire pistol and letting a few shots off each morning until they go somewhere else, but that comes with other problems. I'm just not sure what to do. As I type this now they are packing away in the gutters making a load of noise. I'm going mad! 

What would you guys do? It never happened prior to Dr Dolittle and Ace Ventura moving in feeding them daily.

Edited by MarcMaxus

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First thing to do (legally) would be to go to see your Council Environmental Health department and explain what you've told us here.  They will have to act upon your complaint and should send them an official letter, hopefully telling them to stop feeding the crows.  Is there any way that you could spray the crows with water or perhaps use a 'spud' gun to frighten them off.  

Speak to the neighbours, is your first point of call.

Explain that there is a real issue around bird **** on cars, windowsills, etc. and you feel it is a health hazard, and ask them to stop doing it.

If that fails then your only really viable next step is either the council, or a silenced shotgun. Or a ladder trap

The Mrs said the council too so I'll give them a ring in the morning. I could try the jet wash, that's a decent idea. I'll wash the patio at same time as its covered in **** (and it will get me brownie points) 

It really is driving me daft now. It was that noisy this morning I honestly thought someone was trying to get in via the windows. I'll get some pics and stick them on here you will see what I'm up against.

I've tried talking to them but they don't engage with me or come to the door (they are a little odd in that regard) and I posted a polite note with my phone number on. Shooting them is not an option at all, it's just not safe. I'd would love to shoot them, believe me! 

Edited by MarcMaxus

Go to Morrison’s before closing and buy about 20 loaves of bread that are reduced for pennies. 

Go home and shred all the bread into small pieces andgo throw it all over their house garden and car. 

Let the birds **** all over their stuff and wake them up and see how they like it. 

“I’m just feeding the birds mate” when they ask you what your doing! 😂

Priority is to speak to your neighbours, however hard tgat may be. They may not appreciate the upset and harm it's causing. 

If they enjoy feeding birds,  point out how crows will predate and drive away the song birds. Suggest they feed the smaller birds by using cage feeders that exclude the crows and pigeons. 

Only if it can't be resolved peacefully report to the council.

1 minute ago, stuartyboy said:

Priority is to speak to your neighbours, however hard tgat may be. They may not appreciate the upset and harm it's causing. 

If they enjoy feeding birds,  point out how crows will predate and drive away the song birds. Suggest they feed the smaller birds by using cage feeders that exclude the crows and pigeons. 

I've tried all that. They just don't answer the door. Posted a polite note etc. Council route seems best for now. 

Just now, stuartyboy said:

The beauty of the system of reporting it to the council is that it will be anonymous after the Council start.

Your way you have to alert the fools that it is you that have reported them!

Keep a diary of dates and times, trying to contact your neighbors, messages left, and video and audio evidence, not only is the noise/disturbance causing you a noise nuisance, it is a health hazard, and consequently their feeding the birds is anti social! Have you spoken to any other neighbors to canvass their opinion?

As other have said do not just ring them make a complaint to the local authority Environmental Health Department.

Just now, panoma1 said:

Keep a diary of dates and times, trying to contact your neighbors, messages left, and video and audio evidence, not only is the noise/disturbance causing you a noise nuisance, it is a health hazard, and consequently their feeding the birds is anti social! Have you spoken to any other neighbors to canvass their opinion?

As other have said do not just ring them make a complaint to the local authority Environmental Health Department.

The Council will ask you to do all of that just in case their letter has no effect and they wish to take it further.

Good luck with your inconsiderate neighbours.

If youve got space build a large ladder trap, bait it with bread but leave the top off for a few days until they're comfortable feeding in it and then after a week or so put the top on it after dark  next morning you should have loads. The trick is getting them feeding there before you try to trap them.

If at all possible start taking recordings of noise, video the ruckus the crown stir up in the morning “time and date stamped” keep a log of feeding times and days, frequency of feeding and what they feed them with. Keep records of everything incase it has to go to court. Any attempt you make to communicate, keep records again and duplicate letters too. 

If they put out excessive feed it is likely to attract rats also sonas above call your local council and ask to speak to the environmental health dept. 

My my mum recently had issues with a chap over the back putting down almost 10kilo of feed a DAY. There were over 400 pigeons on roof and the noise when you opened the door as they all took off was a joke. It attracted rats to the point the cat was bringin home 5 a day. Come the finish my brother even went around went mental as my mum and dad couldn’t even use the garden as it was covered in ****. Eventually the council took an interest and got it stopped! But that was because pretty much everyone in the area complained. Get your neighbours behind you if they are also suffering. 

Edited by Lord Geordie

You're still obliged to exhaust any peaceful option first but,

Not strictly legal but if you throw loads of bread into your garden where there is a backstop.............

Or maybe lace some bread with some nasty stuff and add it to theirs.

If I were taking these options I would maybe hold off on complaining to the council for a while but still gather as much evidence as you can especially video at the loudest times.