Fly fishing line

snow white

8 minutes ago, snow white said:

Hi lads what floating fly line do you use I am using airflo at the moment but it is snaking.

I have been told by tackle shop that a lot of lads have had the same experience I am going to get a different line but not sure what to get any advice please.tony

hello, what type of trout fishing are you doing ? what you mean is the line memory eg as you cast it coils on the water off the reel ? and it should cast a straight line,?  this is a common problem that happens if you leave a fly line on the reel  say over the winter or closed season, i have used many many makes and types and even some expensive ones do this, ok so what AIRFLO do you have ?    

Dry fly. It was doing it from new last year I was told that airflo line is prone for it couple of tackle shops I have spoken stopped getting them in it’s not in the memory.

I can get a good line out but it is snaking when out and my mates line is doing it as well.

7 minutes ago, snow white said:

Dry fly. It was doing it from new last year I was told that airflo line is prone for it couple of tackle shops I have spoken stopped getting them in it’s not in the memory.

I can get a good line out but it is snaking when out and my mates line is doing it as well.

DRY fly on still water ? if it is not the memory but just snaking after casting i just use the left hand to pull line in very slowly so keeping a straight line, wind and currents will need to be looked at to,   

6 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Barrio

my son uses one and he is very pleased with quality and performance, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

5 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

It used to be reccomended you take the line off the reel and tie the complete length of the flyline between two posts for a day or two to stretch out the line memory.

hello, not many i know do that anymore panoma, and i am guilty to:rolleyes:, i do have a line winder for my silk lines

It’s hard to explain there’s that much snaked line on the water it’s unreal I have tied a big sea swivel on one end fixed it to post then pulled all the line out under a lot of pressure the my wife as walked back to swivel with a damp cloth on the line you can see the swivel spinning as she walks down to it I stand with pressure on for about ten minutes then slowly walk back to post keeping light pressure on as I reel it back on reel but the same next time ou

26 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

DRY fly on still water ? if it is not the memory but just snaking after casting i just use the left hand to pull line in very slowly so keeping a straight line, wind and currents will need to be looked at to,   

my son uses one and he is very pleased with quality and performance, 

hello, there is no trout fishing floating line 100% memory proof

the choice is huge, tried all the famous makes over the years, 

some flylines tend to be a bit stiffer so do have a memory, airflow were notorious for it years ago 

I found the John Norris fly lines to be as good as any at whatever price, have used them for both my trout and for my salmon fishing, 

bonus  is it does not break your heart when you stand on one first time out

Edited by itchy trigger
phrasing

2 minutes ago, snow white said:

It’s hard to explain there’s that much snaked line on the water it’s unreal I have tied a big sea swivel on one end fixed it to post then pulled all the line out under a lot of pressure the my wife as walked back to swivel with a damp cloth on the line you can see the swivel spinning as she walks down to it I stand with pressure on for about ten minutes then slowly walk back to post keeping light pressure on as I reel it back on reel but the same next time ou

hello, if it keeps doing that on the water i would bin the airflo or make a shooting with it and buy a different brand, 

2 minutes ago, redfish77 said:

I had the same problem with an airflo floater, tried stretching it and couldn't get rid of the memory. I bought a snowbee floater last season and its a great line.

snowbee XS ?

17 minutes ago, redfish77 said:

Yes, I think it is an XS. The bright orange one. I should say the airflo sinking and intermediate lines I have are really good but the floating line was a nightmare.

hello, the XS floating line came out very good on a lot of reviews but this one did well to a masterline ideal XL  , sinking and intermediate lines will always be better due to the nature of manufacture, its always a big debate which is the best in floating lines,  

2 hours ago, snow white said:

Hi lads what floating fly line do you use I am using airflo at the moment but it is snaking.

I have been told by tackle shop that a lot of lads have had the same experience I am going to get a different line but not sure what to get any advice please.tony

can i ask where your fishing rivers/lakes/reservoir ?  many years ago i fished on the river that flows through Glan Gwna holiday park, 👍

Hi I fish Llyn Brenig most of the time I was thinking of getting season ticket for seiont but can’t be bothered with all the rules and regulations we can fish Brenig and my wife takes the two springers for a walk.

From the reply’s of here I will be getting a snow bee line tomorrow it’s just a bloody pain seeing that snaking line on the water.

1 hour ago, snow white said:

Hi I fish Llyn Brenig most of the time I was thinking of getting season ticket for seiont but can’t be bothered with all the rules and regulations we can fish Brenig and my wife takes the two springers for a walk.

From the reply’s of here I will be getting a snow bee line tomorrow it’s just a bloody pain seeing that snaking line on the water.

As previous posters have intimidated Airflow have a bad reputation for memory coils on floating fly lines, and rightly so in my opinion. However their lines that sink and are pulled are much better. I’ve had a Snowbee for the last ten seasons and it’s in great nick. Does your local tackle shop do ‘mill end ‘ lines as these are cheap as chips and can function as well as top end gear if you drop on the right one. 

Hi I have airflo intimidate,and sinking they are brilliant but that ruddy floating line is a pain I have ordered as snowbee sx plus from Corwen tackle he is posting it in the morning nearest tackle shop for fly fishing stuff is about 45 miles away so unless I am having a ride out I have to order on the phone.

9 hours ago, snow white said:

Send it back to Airflo.  I had a similar thing with a Shakespeare line many moons ago and I went down to Shakespeare with the Tackle Dealer and they gave me a factory tour , four new lines and a cup of tea. Apparently they had a new guy on the machine which coats the lines and he had a botched up a whole batch, which had the coating put on one side only which caused the problem.

I have a number of Airflo amongs others and had no such problems.  I always give them a gentle stretching if they have not been used for a while.

My dry fly line is a #3 Cortland and that goes out as straight as a die.