Fly fishing line

snow white

9 hours ago, snow white said:

Hi I fish Llyn Brenig most of the time I was thinking of getting season ticket for seiont but can’t be bothered with all the rules and regulations we can fish Brenig and my wife takes the two springers for a walk.

From the reply’s of here I will be getting a snow bee line tomorrow it’s just a bloody pain seeing that snaking line on the water.

hello, never got to fish there but looks a lovely place, good luck with the new line, 👍

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Send it back to Airflo.  I had a similar thing with a Shakespeare line many moons ago and I went down to Shakespeare with the Tackle Dealer and they gave me a factory tour , four new lines and a cup of tea. Apparently they had a new guy on the machine which coats the lines and he had a botched up a whole batch, which had the coating put on one side only which caused the problem.

I have a number of Airflo amongs others and had no such problems.  I always give them a gentle stretching if they have not been used for a while.

My dry fly line is a #3 Cortland and that goes out as straight as a die.

hello, have you ever tried a silk line fishing the river ? 

Learned to fly fish with a silk line back in 1956 and have used one on occasion since.  I also have a Cortland DT #2 which I use on a neat little 5ft 6 inch split cane.

17 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, never got to fish there but looks a lovely place, good luck with the new line, 👍

hello, have you ever tried a silk line fishing the river ? 

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Learned to fly fish with a silk line back in 1956 and have used one on occasion since.  I also have a Cortland DT #2 which I use on a neat little 5ft 6 inch split cane.

hello, there is nothing like river fishing with silk line and cane rod, that is a light set up, mine is 7.6 inches and D/T 4 , Cortland do make nice  D/T light lines

I have used Snowbee XS lines since they first came on the market, however last year I was due a new line and with the price of the Snowbee XS now, I asked the same question as the OP. The vote was unanimous in favour of the Barrio Lines. I ordered a WF7F which arrived within 2 days. I found it to be an excellent line and fantastic value for money. However, after a couple of outings, I noticed that there was a 'rough section' starting to appear or should I say 'feel'  on the line. I contacted Barrio and the next day a brand new line arrived, no quibble, no questions or even the damaged line to be sent back. I now have bought a few of the lines and they have been completely trouble free. Excellent Company to deal with, superb products at a great price.

I am in no way connected to the Company,  but I know great service,  when I am in receipt of it. 

Edited by Westley

Tried lots of lines, including Barrio which I couldn't get on with, and the best floating line for me is Snowbee XS. My buddy has done the same. Reliable, straight and easy casting.

I tried Snowbee XS Plus too but it cracked and didn't cast as well.

However, my favourite sinking line is an Airflo 40+ expert Di3. Straight, easy to shoot and the colour change helps indicate the retrieve.

I would always recommend Snowbee XS but it's also a case of matching line to rod but I'm definitely not a rod snob. I find my Shakespeare 10' #7 Mark one works well for my floating line but my mark II doesn't. However, being much stiffer, my MkII Shakey whacks out the Airflo Di3 really well.

Anyway, Snowbee XS Ivory for me.

On 01/04/2019 at 16:12, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, there is nothing like river fishing with silk line and cane rod, that is a light set up, mine is 7.6 inches and D/T 4 , Cortland do make nice  D/T light lines

hello, how times change to when i started trout fishing in some old gravel lakes at £1 per day, milbro truefly / cheap reel and a £5 D/T floating line 

Yep, started mine with a horrible heavy split cane rod which was given to me by a mate for my birthday and I purchased a silk line and reel with some birthday cash.  Used normal tie on hooks which I dressed with feathers stripped from LIVE cockerels we had running around the orchard ..they didn't enjoy it one bit and the first fish I caught where dace on our local canal  in Polesworth where a drain rain out from a brickworks and created a bit of movement.  Missed more than I caught, they where like greased lighting but taught me a lot.  Then passed my driving test and could travel so spent a lot of time on the Mease near Harlaston, Staffs.,  Birmingham Anglers water with ome serious big chub in those days.  Big ugly fluffy flies where the order of the day, flicked under the overhanging willows where the course anglers couldn't reach easily.  Happy memories.

Yes, those crystal clear waters in Slovenia are to die for and worth a visit.  If you can afford it have a guide as they know which river to go for each day as conditions change.

The top one is me on the Lapena my favorite.

Edited by Walker570

55 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, started mine with a horrible heavy split cane rod which was given to me by a mate for my birthday and I purchased a silk line and reel with some birthday cash.  Used normal tie on hooks which I dressed with feathers stripped from LIVE cockerels we had running around the orchard ..they didn't enjoy it one bit and the first fish I caught where dace on our local canal  in Polesworth where a drain rain out from a brickworks and created a bit of movement.  Missed more than I caught, they where like greased lighting but taught me a lot.  Then passed my driving test and could travel so spent a lot of time on the Mease near Harlaston, Staffs.,  Birmingham Anglers water with ome serious big chub in those days.  Big ugly fluffy flies where the order of the day, flicked under the overhanging willows where the course anglers couldn't reach easily.  Happy memories.

Yes, those crystal clear waters in Slovenia are to die for and worth a visit.  If you can afford it have a guide as they know which river to go for each day as conditions change.

The top one is me on the Lapena my favorite.

hello, i can only remember 1 manufacture of silk lines in the UK the Kingfisher ? now made in France, but would you believe a very worthy silk fly line can be bought for around £30 and guess where ?????

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i can only remember 1 manufacture of silk lines in the UK the Kingfisher ? now made in France, but would you believe a very worthy silk fly line can be bought for around £30 and guess where ?????

when my some what older dear fishing friend  died he left me all his trout fishing gear, we spent hours fishing together down in Wiltshire on the Avon, then Farmoor, and a club trout lake,