Ah well.

JDog

On Friday Clodhopper came here so that we could tour round this part of the Wolds for a change. We allowed ourselves all day.

We looked at four fields of month old bean drillings with bean shoots just poking through. Nix pigeons. We looked at five fields of three day old bean drillings. Nada pigeons. Off we went to inspect three fields of fresh pea drillings. No pigeons. Then a field of five day old barley drillings. Same result. Finally some smashed up cover crops. Nothing. Then we retraced our steps hoping that theafternoon would see a change in feeding habits but no.

This saga does though have a happy ending as we shot seven pigeons on a patchy corner of rape.

I am even more serious about moving to Norfolk than ever.

7 minutes ago, JDog said:

On Friday Clodhopper came here so that we could tour round this part of the Wolds for a change. We allowed ourselves all day.

We looked at four fields of month old bean drillings with bean shoots just poking through. Nix pigeons. We looked at five fields of three day old bean drillings. Nada pigeons. Off we went to inspect three fields of fresh pea drillings. No pigeons. Then a field of five day old barley drillings. Same result. Finally some smashed up cover crops. Nothing. Then we retraced our steps hoping that theafternoon would see a change in feeding habits but no.

This saga does though have a happy ending as we shot seven pigeons on a patchy corner of rape.

I am even more serious about moving to Norfolk than ever.

Stick to the north of the county rather than the south if you decide to up stakes , last week I did manage a 20+ on some grain that had been scattered about on a stubble field that is now ploughed in ,  Friday I got 14 on some bare rape and yesterday was a blank .

Your luck will change before long and then you will be glad you stayed in the sunny Wolds .☺️

Always amazes me how pigeons can move out of areas and back in again so quickly.

Also how some areas people seem to shoot literally hundreds week in week out and do the same year on year without a drop in numbers.

In our area the cropping has changed drastically over the last 10 years which has made such a difference (a negative one) and we have to work much harder for results, but even now when the farmers happen to grow the right crops in the right fields the pigeons inevitably turn up again, strange and frustrating at the same time. The lack of peas/beans/spring rape has been the biggest reduction in the numbers we used to have almost guaranteed shooting over. 

With the bounty of prime crops you had access to I can imagine your expectations being reasonably high Jdog, and they’ll turn up again out of the blue no doubt! 

If it wasnt for my new perm which is a good few miles from my old perms I think we would struggle we are shooting on sprouti g beans there the beans on the old perms were put in in January.the beans are a 1st for me in 50yrs shooting. I have found that I drive away from shoots for bieng too early especially green crops I think they have to compete on grain.