.22 FAC air running at 45 ft/lb

Zetter

Sub 12  r10 s come in .12 inch and 15.5 inch barrels. The fac 15 inch and possibly 18 inch for export .

Is this a factory fac from bsa or a converted sub 12 ? 

You said it had a huma reg .so its definatly not all standard factory bsa.

A 15.5 inch barrel is easily long enough to get pellets up into the ideal  900 fps area .so a 16 grn pellet should make that easily even if your energy drops a touch compared to the 21 grn bis mag /barra .

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Sub 12  r10 s come in .12 inch and 15.5 inch barrels. The fac 15 inch and possibly 18 inch for export .

Is this a factory fac from bsa or a converted sub 12 ? 

You said it had a huma reg .so its definatly not all standard factory bsa.

A 15.5 inch barrel is easily long enough to get pellets up into the ideal  900 fps area .so a 16 grn pellet should make that easily even if your energy drops a touch compared to the 21 grn bis mag /barra .

This was me measuring the shroud length so 15.5 sounds right. Tt was an FAC from new and had the telegraph pole shroud on it but he got that cut down to the length of the barrel by their smith who does their barrel work and put a mod on it. he didn't cut down the barrel on the shroud. 

The 31 fpe barra will be doing around 810 fps for an ideal 35 yd zero 

A 16 grn jsb exact at fpe less -  29 fpe 

Will do around 910 fps for an ideal zero of 40 yds the bcs of these pellets is very similar  jsb - 0.032 . Barra - 0.034  (very little in it ) the barra will drop 3 inches more at 80 yds than the lighter jsb pellet .it will just about retain its 2 fpe muzzle advantage out to 80 yds but due to the solid (slightly pointed shape )of the barra (and 80 fps slower velocity ) it wont transfer its energy into your quarry as well as the lighter jsb .

If its more accurate than the jsb then use it definatly .

As accuracy most often top trumps all else .

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Not sure if you hit me with it but I know what will hurt more if I do it 😂😂

there would be no point in having a bigger hammer if it moved less metal than a small one 

just done experiment 

cut  some 3/8 bar on the anvil 

1 blow with the sledgehammer 

3 blows with the 7lb hammer 

10 blows with the 3lb hammer 

hope your keeping well BB 

all the best 

of 

😂😂

Hope you're well OF. We haven't yet recovered from that wonderful day out with you.👍👍

21 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

😂😂

Hope you're well OF. We haven't yet recovered from that wonderful day out with you.👍👍

I’m fine thanks and really enjoying this 😂

any time you lads have a Sunday off and fancy a day out you’re always welcome I’ll do my best to organise something for you 👍

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

I’m fine thanks and really enjoying this 😂

any time you lads have a Sunday off and fancy a day out you’re always welcome I’ll do my best to organise something for you 👍

You are a top man Nigel👍 Wouls really like to take you up on that. But, repay the favour time i think?!!

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Not sure if you hit me with it but I know what will hurt more if I do it 😂😂

there would be no point in having a bigger hammer if it moved less metal than a small one 

just done experiment 

cut  some 3/8 bar on the anvil 

1 blow with the sledgehammer 

3 blows with the 7lb hammer 

10 blows with the 3lb hammer 

hope your keeping well BB 

all the best 

of 

Yep all good this end ,hope your keeping well mate.👍

4 hours ago, Zetter said:

Cheers all for the advice and comments on experience.

After having a look at prices and distances in the end I decided to scoot up Livens gun shop and bought the BSA R10 MK2 which was the personal gun of one of the guys in the shop. Huma reg fitted and the shroud has been shortened with a moderator added making it more handy than the usual monster shroud that came with. Hes even found the decent pellet for it with H+N Barracuda

Looking forward to having a play with it this week. 

You don't hand about do you!! Few chaps on the rapid forum are using.22 in FAC and achieving great results, but with longer barrels.

as someone mentioned above a lot seems to be about getting the best out of the barrel, few folk have spoken about polishing barrels and re machining the crown, also doing the same on HW barrels vastly improving performances.

Also read something about people buying old gold stars just for the barrels.

let us know how you get on Zetter 👍 

10 minutes ago, Mice! said:

You don't hand about do you!! Few chaps on the rapid forum are using.22 in FAC and achieving great results, but with longer barrels.

as someone mentioned above a lot seems to be about getting the best out of the barrel, few folk have spoken about polishing barrels and re machining the crown, also doing the same on HW barrels vastly improving performances.

Also read something about people buying old gold stars just for the barrels.

let us know how you get on Zetter 👍 

I was torn between the two but to be honest the R10 was more in the budget I had set myself so that swung it in the end. 

3 minutes ago, Zetter said:

I was torn between the two but to be honest the R10 was more in the budget I had set myself so that swung it in the end. 

Its all about what floats your boat👍 Spend your hard earned cash on what you want👍👍

Edited by turbo33

Rabbits and Squizzers mainly. I have .17 HMR and a .243 but need something for a few areas of permissions that arnt really suitable for those. I had an FAC bobcat in .25 a while ago and foolishly let it go so as I was renewing I thought I would take the opportunity to get another FAC air as I missed having one and it fills a niche between sub 12 ft/lb and the HMR

4 minutes ago, Zetter said:

Rabbits and Squizzers mainly. I have .17 HMR and a .243 but need something for a few areas of permissions that arnt really suitable for those. I had an FAC bobcat in .25 a while ago and foolishly let it go so as I was renewing I thought I would take the opportunity to get another FAC air as I missed having one and it fills a niche between sub 12 ft/lb and the HMR

👍 Mine is the perfect tool for scruggers and almost exclusively used for this purpose .

9 minutes ago, Zetter said:

I do recall you selling the bobcat, so why .22 and not .25 again? Bit less whack or did you just fancy something different?

Trouble is with the .25 the pellet choice was limited and at 50 ft/lb+ you were getting towards rimfire territory. The great thing about .22 is the pellet choice is massive so there is more chance of finding one the barrel likes.

Also there is more chance of finding a second hand .22 FAC air full stop . When I got my .25 it was the last one FX had in the UK at the time and the choice on anything else that was new involved  a 12 week + lead time. So I decided to play the safer numbers game and go for .22

Edited by Zetter

Wise words .

The humble .22 fac air can be a fantastic tool and very capable. 

My mates fx wildcat is a pretty solid 90 yd gun with 16 grn exact .

And your spot on the .25 cal fac is getting into rf. territory and certainly needs to have the same mind set as rf .when pulling the trigger .

That .22  fac air sits nicely between sub 12 and rf.

Oh .zetter 

1 more thing .ive yet to find a .22 bsa barrel that doesnt like falcon accuracy plus pellets .thats about 8 guns so far .even at 890 fps they still go well .

Give a tin a good try in your gun .

You should get around 930 fps which should still be fine for accuracy .

I have my Fac airranger.22 cal at 37 fpe with bis mag pellets and a fitted match grade barrel,

it accurate out to 75yds  consistantly unless of course its very windy, but i genraly do not shoot in very windy weather

it was set at 60 fpe when i bought it ,so i got it reset to my required power level , 37 fpe meets all my requirements!!!

atb brian

1 hour ago, Zetter said:

Trouble is with the .25 the pellet choice was limited and at 50 ft/lb+ you were getting towards rimfire territory. The great thing about .22 is the pellet choice is massive so there is more chance of finding one the barrel likes.

Also there is more chance of finding a second hand .22 FAC air full stop . When I got my .25 it was the last one FX had in the UK at the time and the choice on anything else that was new involved  a 12 week + lead time. So I decided to play the safer numbers game and go for .22

Makes a lot of sense.

So finally got a chance for quick play in between the showers.

Grouped well at 25 yards with Barracuda Match which was as far as I could push it on my little indoor range.

Chrono was giving me 31.6 Ft/lb aver a 4 shot string.

All in all really happy.

Pic below although the scopes coming off and I am putting a Leupold Varix III I have spare.  

R10.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have  tested loads of different pellets and weights over the many years I have been shooting air guns and come to conclusion a few years ago , lighter pellets in either cal take less wind ,  faster so less time in the air to be affected by wind  I have been shooting falcon accuracy plus 13.3gr in my .22 guns and AA express 7.9 in .177 , both are excellent hunting pellet in sub 12