3 Section Compact Hide Poles

5 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'm adding these photo's on behalf of my good friend 'oldypigeonpopper'. Any questions regarding these, please contact him.

Poles 1.jpeg

Poles 2.jpeg

Poles 3.jpeg

Poles 4.jpeg

hello, thankyou for putting photos on steve, thankyou mel, dave i will put all details on later this evening, but i can say with the 30 inch green bag off ebay  it comes out to £50 ish

1 minute ago, figgy said:

They look very good, weight might be an issue if you have to carry all your gear.

hello figgy, i made a set of 4 but depending on where you place your hide you can use 2/3 or 4 if you need a full sided one. cheers

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thankyou for putting photos on steve, thankyou mel, dave i will put all details on later this evening, but i can say with the 30 inch green bag off ebay  it comes out to £50 ish

hello figgy, i made a set of 4 but depending on where you place your hide you can use 2/3 or 4 if you need a full sided one. cheers

4 clothes poles from homebase £14, 4 brolly spikes from ebay/ fishing.mad, £16.95, 4 plastic screw adjusters £11 www.bpfonline.co.uk  1x 30inch kennedy tool bag £8,   max height 65 inches/ low 50 inches, the set of 4 weight 6llb   

41 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well done Gordon, they do look "purposeful" now to get out and use them!:good:

hello Dave, thanks dave, they may not be as light as ally poles but i am sure they come out lighter than 4 Decathlon ones,  looking at a few videos on DIY poles you do not a lathe etc to make these just a hacksaw/drill, and bits, pop rivet gun i used , i could have made 3 tubed telescopic but i did not want to buy more tube or add extra weight as that was the purpose to using cheap clothes props like so many see to do , a PW member remarked not able to buy a more compact set,  making just 2 poles for for a few hours out in the field  you could carry them easy  in that tool bag including the net and for about £25 !!!!!!  

Hi mate lovely job. I really like the feet, i was going to try shaping a bit of angle iron into a point, but 2 spikes look like a much better option. Ill go digging in the scrap pile asap and make something up as i need to get something sorted soon, ive noticed i cant drill holes by ******* on the mud no more 😅

9 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Hi mate lovely job. I really like the feet, i was going to try shaping a bit of angle iron into a point, but 2 spikes look like a much better option. Ill go digging in the scrap pile asap and make something up as i need to get something sorted soon, ive noticed i cant drill holes by ******* on the mud no more 😅

hello, the spikes were mentioned by  tightchoke (Dave) so i found the cheapest ones to buy, there a only 1 inch apart so you may get a stone lodged in so i am thinking to cut 1 spike down to 4 inches, will try out first, these poles will also take a screw end, dinsmore 7/8 power drive bank stick, the last set i made was at 16 when i was apprentice , 3/8 th steel rod and tube, bit like the decathlons, fitted on my bikes cross bar , decoys and gear in my dads old royal navy kit bag, oh happy days

Gordon, very intuitive and well designed, and all items readily available to fabricate again should there be a failure.

I have 2 sets of the decathlon poles, very well made but can be unwieldy when carrying for any distance, you have got yours just how “you” want them, size, weight, and carrying bag.

May they serve you well in your decoying.

Twitching indeed 👀, some people.

2 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Gordon, very intuitive and well designed, and all items readily available to fabricate again should there be a failure.

I have 2 sets of the decathlon poles, very well made but can be unwieldy when carrying for any distance, you have got yours just how “you” want them, size, weight, and carrying bag.

:lol: Well I am happy to admit to watching the birds that I feed at home and at work.

Watching the nesting boxes I have put up...................

And to watching Pigeons, Corvids and Game Birds as I pull the trigger!:good:

On 31/03/2019 at 22:34, oldypigeonpopper said:

4 clothes poles from homebase £14, 4 brolly spikes from ebay/ fishing.mad, £16.95, 4 plastic screw adjusters £11 www.bpfonline.co.uk  1x 30inch kennedy tool bag £8,   max height 65 inches/ low 50 inches, the set of 4 weight 6llb   

hello, finished off with a spray can of green paint from euro parts so in all the total cost came out to about £55, 

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

:lol: Well I am happy to admit to watching the birds that I feed at home and at work.

The poles that the OPP has produced are primarily for Pigeon decoying and this has been the “only” intention, low cost low weight decoying hide poles that others may copy/produce for that purpose.

I know that he has no interest in “putting them on the Bay”and personally thought it was a derogatory ill thought comment to add twitchers might be interested, for what purpose the comment was made we can only guess, but l have my own. 

7 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I am happy to admit to watching the birds that I feed at home and at work.

11 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

The poles that the OPP has produced are primarily for Pigeon decoying and this has been the “only” intention, low cost low weight decoying hide poles that others may copy/produce for that purpose.

I know that he has no interest in “putting them on the Bay”and personally thought it was a derogatory ill thought comment to add twitchers might be interested, for what purpose the comment was made we can only guess, but l have my own. 

I have been in contact with Gordon from day one of this project and know exactly why he made them.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Syntax

hello, i think is was strimmer that mentioned first about 3 sectioned hide poles or ones that were more easy to carry, having for years using 2 normal ally and a decathlon metal pole although not to heavy i do find a bit long in my dihatsu , i did contact the company that sold these 3 section poles but was told they were not making any more as did not sell well (his words) anyway i checked out prices of steel and ally telescopic tube plus cost for delivery but the steel tube was around £100 to make 4 poles, so i see quite a few people on here mention the clothes props so i looked at B and Q and homebase, both the same but cheaper in homebase,, like the brolly spikes, plastic screw connectors, and a waterproof tool bag, a few hours work and that you see in the photos is what design i came up with that break down into 12 pieces but easy to put up and all fit in the 30inch tool bag for just over £50, but as rightly mentioned the 4 poles together are heavier than the well made ally 3 section telescopic ones but they were £100, as i do not get the chance to decoy shoot often and not wish to have to much gear to carry so i think of using just 2 poles which would leave room in the bag for some camo net and 6 pigeon shells 6 crows a box or 2 of cartridges and flask and food, that is just right for me  but i do have great admiration on reading posts and photos of PW members who go out and shoot big numbers even like i did in past years, anyway while making these poles i found a UK company who make hide poles but they are not advertised well and having made contact with them they did say they had compete with those made in china, but they will be looking to see if there maybe a market for  3 section telescopic compact hide poles and sell in 2 or 4s , so will have to wait and see, cheers for all the replies,      

• 1 month later...

Don't wanna steal your thread but I've nicked your idea of the feet - the point of 2 prongs. I'm tight, I mean really tight, and a right bodge artist 😂 so over the last few lunch times I made these up. Total cost £5.05p (yes they look a fivers worth too) 

Ill break it down. 

I went to the tip the other day and saw a garden fork, a bit wrecked as a prong was bent out of shape, and a pogo stick. Soon as I saw that, I realised my hide poles would fit in that tube, as I was searching for a cheap amount. Its quite thick steel (presumably so it doesn't bend if a fat kid jumps up and down). So I bought the pair for £2 total. 

I get home and cut the prongs off the fork, leaving enough room just to catch the heel of my wellie. Part 1 done. Next I cut the pogo stick up, minding the spring which when released wanted to eject the nearest dip **** into next week, me, and cut it into 4 equal lengths. 

Whilst out spear fishing last year I found a spear lodged into some rocks which I brought home, it was nackered, not fit for firing again, bent and bowed, so cut that up for the extra prongs. Took it all to work, miged it up very quickly over lunch, and brought them home. 

Next I went on the bay, as I wanted some wind handles, m6 bolt size, ordered a pack of 5 for £3 posted. Annoyed as they were the most expensive parts.... 

So drilled a 5mm hole, tapped a m6 thread on them, took it out to my garden, and managed to punch through my gravel floor, with a thick membrane quite easily. They held well with no twisting. I think in very rough wind I'll use ties as well anyway, but those prongs are roughly a foot long so they won't fall over without a fight. I'll add picks now, worth a laugh just at the bodges I've done. 

Enjoy 👍

IMG_20190423_163838.jpg

IMG_20190423_164942.jpg

IMG_20190424_122620_1.jpg

IMG_20190424_122624.jpg

IMG_20190424_214046_1.jpg

IMG_20190503_200359.jpg

IMG_20190503_200523.jpg

IMG_20190503_201441.jpg

IMG_20190503_201447.jpg

IMG_20190503_202230.jpg

IMG_20190424_123357.jpg

IMG_20190503_200349.jpg

All went a bit mad there up loading 

Sorry

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Don't wanna steal your thread but I've nicked your idea of the feet - the point of 2 prongs. I'm tight, I mean really tight, and a right bodge artist 😂 so over the last few lunch times I made these up. Total cost £5.05p (yes they look a fivers worth too) 

Ill break it down. 

I went to the tip the other day and saw a garden fork, a bit wrecked as a prong was bent out of shape, and a pogo stick. Soon as I saw that, I realised my hide poles would fit in that tube, as I was searching for a cheap amount. Its quite thick steel (presumably so it doesn't bend if a fat kid jumps up and down). So I bought the pair for £2 total. 

I get home and cut the prongs off the fork, leaving enough room just to catch the heel of my wellie. Part 1 done. Next I cut the pogo stick up, minding the spring which when released wanted to eject the nearest dip **** into next week, me, and cut it into 4 equal lengths. 

Whilst out spear fishing last year I found a spear lodged into some rocks which I brought home, it was nackered, not fit for firing again, bent and bowed, so cut that up for the extra prongs. Took it all to work, miged it up very quickly over lunch, and brought them home. 

Next I went on the bay, as I wanted some wind handles, m6 bolt size, ordered a pack of 5 for £3 posted. Annoyed as they were the most expensive parts.... 

So drilled a 5mm hole, tapped a m6 thread on them, took it out to my garden, and managed to punch through my gravel floor, with a thick membrane quite easily. They held well with no twisting. I think in very rough wind I'll use ties as well anyway, but those prongs are roughly a foot long so they won't fall over without a fight. I'll add picks now, worth a laugh just at the bodges I've done. 

Enjoy 👍

IMG_20190423_163838.jpg

IMG_20190423_164942.jpg

IMG_20190424_122620_1.jpg

IMG_20190424_122624.jpg

IMG_20190424_214046_1.jpg

IMG_20190503_200359.jpg

IMG_20190503_200523.jpg

IMG_20190503_201441.jpg

IMG_20190503_201447.jpg

IMG_20190503_202230.jpg

IMG_20190424_123357.jpg

IMG_20190503_200349.jpg

All went a bit mad there up loading 

Sorry

hello not worry on my original post but i think you done very well, if i still had my work shop i would have done just like you 

19 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello not worry on my original post but i think you done very well, if i still had my work shop i would have done just like you 

Its that time of year where I can fiddle in the shed with out freezing my nuts off. In the process of making a trolley of sorts now 😅