I need a scope for my new Tikka hmr

Major Sharpe

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 19:48, Walker570 said:

It does open them up occasionally but the round allows me to take tree rats out to 200yrds down lengthy feed rides.

My CZ 17HMR isn't light but that makes it that much more stable.  The weight doesn't bother me and I have never considered it,  as in all situations I am in ambush and I have thin ropes down my high seats to pull up and let down my rifles safely.

Where are you zeroed?

I very rarely use my HMR out to 200 yards, I'm easy to about 125-150 but very little after that, too many variables for me.

Mine has 100 zero and I seem to recall the drop is about 8.5-9" with the 17g V-Max at 200. 

I've used the HMR on the range to 600 yards, I eventually got it on the target!

I have my scope set so I am dead on at 50yrds using the first dot up, stretch it to 60 to 70yrds then I hold centre, then out to 100rds plus I use the first dot down and for long shots 180 -200 I hold that dot on the upper part of the body and I like my tree rats sitting up facing me which gives about 1 1/2 to 2 inches leeway on the drop if I hold high...eg on the chin.

Seems to work but there again I'm no expert.

Do not normally have problems with windage as all these long shots are down rides in heavy timber.    On 24 power at that range you can easily see the strike.

As said I am always in ambush mode and have a very good rest either from the Landie or from a bench in my pop up blind.

I think I can call a 50/50 success rate out at that distance and often a squirrel will hop to one side and look around wondering where that supersonic bumble bee came from giving chance of a second shot.  Had a few of those.

Edited by Walker570

• 2 weeks later...

I have the HMR vantage on mine. But I wouldn’t bother with the calibrated reticle again unless it’s the same price or cheaper.  HMR is so flat from 50 to 150 yards (I’m uncomfortable head shooting beyond that) that you don’t really need to hold off.