John Deere .Gator road legal

ditchman

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

oooohhhhh mmmyyyyyy  gggggooooooddddd...........did you do matriculation with her ?

Nope- didn’t push it that far.

After some simple arithmetic and getting in some ‘obtuse angles’ I decided that she wasn’t for me- especially when she mentioned ‘multiplying’ 

Simon , if you want to see one and have a good look at One the farm Foreman on my farms has John deer gator diesel with a cab on it . It is road legal and is insured as a farm tractor and runs on red . New they are about £20,000 .  Fabulous piece of kit .

Harnser . 

12 hours ago, Harnser said:

Simon , if you want to see one and have a good look at One the farm Foreman on my farms has John deer gator diesel with a cab on it . It is road legal and is insured as a farm tractor and runs on red . New they are about £20,000 .  Fabulous piece of kit .

Harnser . 

steering clear of john deere.............they are just too expensive..............and i need to go to petrol so it is quieter....and im not sure what penalties the govt will impose on desiel.........tax wise

in 1972 a farmworker earnt £21.60p for a 47.8hr working week.............yester day i bought a 2oz packet of golden virgina tobacco (i usually buy 1oz packs)..the 2oz pack was just over £22.00 quid...........yup the govt love their taxes...

Edited by ditchman

I enjoy watching, through the thermal, the foxes, deer, rabbits and just about everything else leg it out of the woods and across the fields as the keeper goes on his vermin patrol in his slow, noisy, whiny, uncomfortable, cramped, frequently broken Kabota. Definitely money well spent 👍. (the Jimny's, pimped and comfortable, with a heater that works, a reliable engine and transmission, air-con, good ground clearance, suspension that doesn't propel you through the roof, windows that close, a stereo you can listen to, a comfortable seat and an on the road cruising speed of 70-80mph without deafening the surrounding two counties are £12k).

Edited by mick miller

I paid about 8k for my Gator secondhand 2 years old, 800 hours on the clock. I can but brand new for about 13k. I can go in some fairly sticky places where I would not even think of taking my Defender. I also need the turning circle of a fly to get through some of our woods. Gator is the best tool for the jobs that I use it for, if I need a off road car I already have a 90 Defender.

Correct. UTVs have become terribly expensive new and  a bit iffy second hand.  I like the look of the smaller Honda 50 but for some reason they are not shipping it here .. not amologated or summat.  $5000 in the USA and £10, 000 in the UK .... just take the duty off we are expected to collect for the EU .....?? 18% ??? and that makes a big difference  to start with but still twice the price it is in the USA (£4000).  Too many people skimming it off somewhere.

i want something that does what a landrover does is fast and economical.....petrol.........and easy to keep clean and maintain......defo not going to go down the road of a car anymore...dont need it with the low milage i do now....

• 3 weeks later...

I had a diesel 855 bought brand new for my last job, my honest opinion - its better than walking, but thats it.  Noisy, expensive, cold, little weather protection, poor mpg, limited carrying and towing, expensive parts and as an extra kick in the nads, requires a service every 200 hours, oh and not really that good off road.  Buy a jimny (I also had one for lamping) does everything that the gator does and more with the addition of a heater and seats that don't bring on sciatica for a fraction on the price

1 hour ago, pbranthwaite said:

I had a diesel 855 bought brand new for my last job, my honest opinion - its better than walking, but thats it.  Noisy, expensive, cold, little weather protection, poor mpg, limited carrying and towing, expensive parts and as an extra kick in the nads, requires a service every 200 hours, oh and not really that good off road.  Buy a jimny (I also had one for lamping) does everything that the gator does and more with the addition of a heater and seats that don't bring on sciatica for a fraction on the price

Sorry but I have had my gator for a few years and it is the best thing I have ever driven off road. I got rid of a 4wd quad for the extra I get get from a gator. when my farmer mate got his quad stuck I drove through the same stuff and towed him out. I have never yet been stuck and that is going through some bad stuff. On my Caravan site I have pulled 80k camper vans when they have been stuck and not even had to hit the 4wd button, ours is serviced once a year, not sure where your 200 hours stuff comes from, if you want weather protection get one with doors, the warm air blows straight in. A Jimmy will not do everything a gator could do, and a gator can not do more than 36 mph so will not keep up with a jimmy on the road. I am more than happy to put my gator up against anything on my shoot. 

10 hours ago, rimfire4969 said:

Sorry but I have had my gator for a few years and it is the best thing I have ever driven off road. I got rid of a 4wd quad for the extra I get get from a gator. when my farmer mate got his quad stuck I drove through the same stuff and towed him out. I have never yet been stuck and that is going through some bad stuff. On my Caravan site I have pulled 80k camper vans when they have been stuck and not even had to hit the 4wd button, ours is serviced once a year, not sure where your 200 hours stuff comes from, if you want weather protection get one with doors, the warm air blows straight in. A Jimmy will not do everything a gator could do, and a gator can not do more than 36 mph so will not keep up with a jimmy on the road. I am more than happy to put my gator up against anything on my shoot. 

200 hour service schedule direct from manufacturer, as for you not engaging 4wd, I had mine in 4wd low box and diff lock and still stuck.  In fact I used the jimny to get it out.  Get a set of doors at about £900 a piece, not me.  Glad you like yours but thats my experience of mine as a daily work vehicle, if they were £10K new I might have a different opinion, but I will stick by mine that they vastly over priced for what they are

Edited by pbranthwaite