Drilled barley

dad

got a call from a farmer drilling thursday afternoon direct drilling old clover field ground is very hard should be plenty on top.good news we had a quick look late thursday  after they finished barley all over it. Saw the farmer on the way out he was just going to roll it I told him we would come saturday give the birds time to get on it.this field was in the middle of pigeon heaven with trees and woods all round. We turned up saturday 9.30 not a bird in sight drove all round field and lifted nothing out of trees checked the field still barley everywhere. The field was very green from the old clover and didnt look like the usual fresh drilling so very disappointed we drove back to the new perm to look at the emerging beans again and was pleased to see hun dreds on it. There a 4 fields side by side one very long the 1st field and another 3 much shorter my mate got on the near end of the long field and put a scarecrow and string banger down the far end I got on the far end of the 3rd field I had good sport for about 3 hours shooting 35 but most wouldnt come to decoys still spooked after shooting 85 on tuesday and the banger lifting them from where they wanted to be at the far end of the long field where there is no cover at all my mate got 14 . There always seems to be somebirds somewhere on this new perm the manager said no rape next year because of the beetle lupins instead which I have no experience of, he seems to think pigeons like them.a piece of good news he phoned me on thursday and said im drilling a field of oats at the moment for another farmer thats a bit fed up with the pigeons on his land and I told him about you boys out all the time come over and I wil In troduce you there is 1200 acres needs looking after. Bit of luck there got maps and introductions.happy days.