Stoeger X20S stripdown advice

Blackbriar

Does anyone know where I can get a stripe own guide for this ? I tried UKChineseairgunforum, as it's very similar to an SMK xs19, but no joy........there used to be a good YouTube tutorial, but it's been deleted...........

This was my first air rifle, so I've a sentimental attachment to it, I suppose.

Anyway, the original spring recently broke, and my friend installed a Titan 11. Sadly, it's very very twangy', so I want to strip, clean, re-lube and maybe install a piston sleeve to quieten the old girl down. I'd like to do this myself, rather than hand it over to my mate, but I'm a little uncertain, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by Blackbriar

32 minutes ago, old man said:

Superb springs so a chrono check a definite must?

Yes ! It's pushing out at 11.6, using AA Diabolo - but the twang is horrendous !

21 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, phone Nick at Tinbum tuning 0800 77 20 177. cheers

I think I'll have to resort to that.

Thank you both for your replies.

13 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

Yes ! It's pushing out at 11.6, using AA Diabolo - but the twang is horrendous !

I think I'll have to resort to that.

Thank you both for your replies.

hello, Nick has a network of tuners in uk using his kits so maybe one near you ? he is a great chap to deal with, good luck and keep us posted  

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i would change the TITAN to an original one if that were me, just saying

Yeah, that's crossed my mind too.

The Titan is an excellent spring, but maybe too much for the Stoeger to handle ? The original spring was pushing out 10.6, which I was happy with TBH...........

Any old how, thanks for your advice, gentlemen !

8 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

Yeah, that's crossed my mind too.

The Titan is an excellent spring, but maybe too much for the Stoeger to handle ? The original spring was pushing out 10.6, which I was happy with TBH...........

Any old how, thanks for your advice, gentlemen !

hello, put the original spring back and while your doing that fit a tinbum tune kit, he has one for the Stoeger X20 £14.95 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, put the original spring back and while your doing that fit a tinbum tune kit, he has one for the Stoeger X20 £14.95 

The original spring broke, hence the fitting of the Titan.

I've been tempted by the TbT kit, with the addition of making a piston sleeve, as the cheapest way to carry on using a sub-£200 rifle. I'm fairly handy and have loads of tools, but I'm one of those who's nervous about undoing the wrong thing and "BOING", my shed is covered with tiny  bits of metal. That's why I was looking for a stripdown guide.

35 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

OK. I've ordered the TbT kit and await its arrival !

hello, well done, there should be instructions on fitting that come with the kit, i am sure nick will help if you get stuck, google parts guide for a stoeger X20 S 4 rows down there is a parts guide on carabine a plombs accessories, let us know how goes

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so............

Stripped, cleaned, piston sleeve fitted - all went very well...........until I put it back together !

The piston won't compress far enough to fully cock the rifle and set the trigger, despite only having the torsion washer fitted under the top hat.. I'm wondering if the sleeve has taken up the space needed for the spring to compress far enough ?

I can't imagine that the new top hat is too long, but I'll check that too. Got some free time in a day or two, so I'll have a nice afternoon sitting in the sunshine, while I investigate.

Hey ho...........

23 hours ago, ben0850 said:

I’ve got the same rifle, the ‘boing’ was shocking. Sent it away to Welsh Willy for spring and trigger work, like a new rifle when it came back.

My trigger was bodged early on, by a self-professed "expert". He did such a good job that it fired if you bumped the butt on the ground !

Got it working well enough now, but I'll probably source a replacement - the trigger isn't the best to begin with, anyway.