Penknife seized by customs

theshootist

I returned though Heathrow yesterday from a hunting trip in Zimbabwe. You can't take a rifle there from the UK so I just had all my other gear including a small Leatherman and a lock knife with a 3.5" blade. 

I went through the green line in customs and was picked out for a search. They took the knife and multi-tool and I waited almost an hour while they waited for advice from another agency. I told them I had originally purchased both in the UK and had taken them to Zimbabwe because I was hunting, which involved processing large animals. I told them I usually carry a fixed blade knife in the UK when deer stalking but chose a folding knife to travel with. They asked me my occupation and I told them I had been a solicitor for 15 years and in the army reserve since 1996 (I even showed them my army ID, although I didn't expect that to make any difference), no doubt I passed the criminal record check. They decided that I could have the multi-tool but they were seizing the knife because it was an offensive weapon that I had not declared. I pointed out that it was not listed on the list of offensive weapons published by the home office and on their posters - "flick knives", "zombie knives", "death stars" etc., but they said the list was not exclusive. They said I should have got advice from the home office and that I should have declared the knife in which case I would have stood a better chance in being allowed to keep it. 

I will be appealing of course. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even worse than the legislation itself is its application. From your description, you clearly fit the profile of a typical murderer. The officer involved use his initiative and decided the public were at risk from you owning such a despicably dangerous weapon. I shall sleep safer tonight knowing that our law enforcement officers are so on the ball.

3 hours ago, gotgcoalman said:

Was it in your luggage or on your person?

It was in my hold luggage of course as was the multi-tool. 

3 hours ago, spandit said:

Which lock knife was it?

It was called a cold steel ultimate hunter. It replaced a gerber gator that I'd had many years which is a similar size. Its a 3.5" drop point lock knife.

4 minutes ago, spandit said:

Nice looking knife but in no way illegal. Good luck

Agreed, obviously the said individual must also have formerly worked at the ‘Peoples Republic of Teeside’ ( Durham Tees Airport) as they are the worst that I encounter—— then again, so are Leeds and Humberside ( But I’m talking Security officials here, although the Humberside Customs officer who stopped me in full uniform to totally empty out my suitcase was a particularly nasty piece of work).....

46 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Agreed, obviously the said individual must also have formerly worked at the ‘Peoples Republic of Teeside’ ( Durham Tees Airport) as they are the worst that I encounter—— then again, so are Leeds and Humberside ( But I’m talking Security officials here, although the Humberside Customs officer who stopped me in full uniform to totally empty out my suitcase was a particularly nasty piece of work).....

Still better than crab-air though??! 

The "official" who confiscated the knife has obviously just read.......

the guide on how to be" atotalknobwaffle"

The Leatherman posed a greater threat to "national security"

It's 1 step away from "possesing offensive socks" with intent to wear them in a public place.