Penknife seized by customs

theshootist

Heathrow security (Not the armed police) are a bunch of I'll informed jobs worths that wouldn't know a chop stick from a double decker bus. And the staff at customs all thrive on power peaks when they pull you over hoping they've caught a badun. 

Yet can't actually cope with that 're paid to do. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small non locking penknife was found in my wifes make up bag at Birmingham Airport. It was a special little knife I had bought her for her birthday with scrimshaw on the handle.  The security officer was correct in drawing her attention and I was about to give her a serious telling off for putting it in there when an airport police officer stepped forward and said he would take care of it and we should call at the police station on our return and collect the knife which would be logged in the property office.  We did just that and she still has it.   Things have seriously gone downhill since then I am afraid.  Heathrow X Ray operator almost did back flips when he saw hunting knives safely in our rifle cases.  "KNIVES< KNIVES !! " he shouted and was about to confiscate them when the British Airways Officer with us said he would take them and he put them all in a cardboard box and said the pilot would carry them on for us and see they where secure.

Arriving at Stockholm Airport, there was our box full of knives waiting but they had failed to put all the rifles, six of them on the flight and we had to go back 5 hrs later to link with the next flight.  I do not go near Heathrow these days, they are pathetic.

Edited by Walker570

53 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

A small non locking penknife was found in my wifes make up bag at Birmingham Airport. It was a special little knife I had bought her for her birthday with scrimshaw on the handle.  The security officer was correct in drawing her attention and I was about to give her a serious telling off for putting it in there when an airport police officer stepped forward and said he would take care of it and we should call at the police station on our return and collect the knife which would be logged in the property office.  We did just that and she still has it.   Things have seriously gone downhill since then I am afraid.  Heathrow X Ray operator almost did back flips when he saw hunting knives safely in our rifle cases.  "KNIVES< KNIVES !! " he shouted and was about to confiscate them when the British Airways Officer with us said he would take them and he put them all in a cardboard box and said the pilot would carry them on for us and see they where secure.

Arriving at Stockholm Airport, there was our box full of knives waiting but they had failed to put all the rifles, six of them on the flight and we had to go back 5 hrs later to link with the next flight.  I do not go near Heathrow these days, they are pathetic.

😀 You really really couldn't make it up could you! I despair at times. 

I used to travel with a very  small 'tool kit' in my bag.   Norwich airport departures.    Security did not like the nail clippers in my suitcase or the one and a half inch double ended cross head/blade screwdriver in the mini tool kit.   Both confiscated.   I asked why and was told it was just the sort of weapons used to highjack an aircraft.   I pointed out that I was the Captain of the aircraft but still lost both items.

Now in happy retirement.

When we went to Finland one of the conditions of me going was a visit to the martiini knife factory and the seconds store where I blew my budget and bought half the store! On packing up to go home I knew I would have my bag searched so carefully wrapped up all the knifes in my dirty boxers and stowed at the bottom of the bag, true to form they searched my bag and had to rummage through my sweaty gussets to check them. All I got was some tape on the bag saying it had been searched and cleared when collecting it.

To be honest in my opinion if it was me I would have not carried it in hand luggage I would have stowed it away in my suitcase and then I would have been quite angry  if they have taken it but in hand luggage you could have used it on the plane ✈️ Gotta remember the world is full of nutters Carrying the knife itself not illegal and you should appeal and get it back 

6 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

To be honest in my opinion if it was me I would have not carried it in hand luggage I would have stowed it away in my suitcase and then I would have been quite angry  if they have taken it but in hand luggage you could have used it on the plane ✈️ Gotta remember the world is full of nutters Carrying the knife itself not illegal and you should appeal and get it back 

It was in his hold luggage, he stated so earlier in the thread!

13 hours ago, theshootist said:

It was in my hold luggage of course as was the multi-tool. 

11 hours ago, Grandalf said:

I used to travel with a very  small 'tool kit' in my bag.   Norwich airport departures.    Security did not like the nail clippers in my suitcase or the one and a half inch double ended cross head/blade screwdriver in the mini tool kit.   Both confiscated.   I asked why and was told it was just the sort of weapons used to highjack an aircraft.   I pointed out that I was the Captain of the aircraft but still lost both items.

Now in happy retirement.

Well that has made me smile! 

Thanks All, its good to hear that not everyone in this country has completely lost their mind and sense of perspective. 

Was on a flight to HK a few years back, sat next to a pleasant Irish gent. When they served supper he paid particular attention to his (not plastic) utensils eventually declaring, "will you look at dat, they took  moi nail scissors off me and now they've given me a noif. (apologies for the rubbish written Irish accent). 

He had a point though which was how stupid the decision making process was. IIRC it was (surprise suprise) from Heathrow.

22 hours ago, spandit said:

I assumed he was talking about the RAF.

The queen sent me on a little trip to the desert years ago

When going through security at Lynham, the RAF Policeman asked me to put my SA80 through the Xray  machine.

"What are you loking for ?" says I

"Hidden Weapons" he replies 😂😂

20 hours ago, Grandalf said:

Both confiscated.   I asked why and was told it was just the sort of weapons used to highjack an aircraft.   I pointed out that I was the Captain of the aircraft ....

That had me laughing out loud! Thanks.

20 hours ago, Grandalf said:

Thay

5 hours ago, mick miller said:

Wow, I've flown back and forth to Spain with axes, hatchets, 6" fixed bladed knives and spoon carving knives. Never had a problem back then. Came back from the states recently with bone saws, knives and all sorts in the suitcase, again, not a problem.

Same here , cracking Inox deer knife and a  a.n.other folder ,nowt said ,nada natch .Customs ignored much to my surprise .

Edited by clakk

In a similar vein, I once forgot to remove the tiny Swiss Army knife which was on my bunch of work related keys before going through the security check at the front of a Crown Court building where I was about to give evidence. Said tiny penknife was duly seized by the security staff. The sawn off shotgun and fifty or so cartridges which I had with me to produce as exhibits were, of course, allowed in...

54 minutes ago, Sako7mm said:

In a similar vein, I once forgot to remove the tiny Swiss Army knife which was on my bunch of work related keys before going through the security check at the front of a Crown Court building where I was about to give evidence. Said tiny penknife was duly seized by the security staff. The sawn off shotgun and fifty or so cartridges which I had with me to produce as exhibits were, of course, allowed in...

Brilliant! 

I spoke with a friend in CO19 last night. He said in his opinion they were quite wrong. His examples were travelling with diving gear and and a diving knife (fixed blade and looks like a weapon), or when we have previously travelled together with rock climbing gear and rescue blades (a serrated sheeps foot style lock knife) clipped to our harnesses.  

Your knife was not an prohibited weapon. Not a flick knife, balisong or gravity blade.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/knives-and-offensive-weapons-information

I think they were confused by the fact that it's not something you could carry every day without good reason but having it packed in your hold luggage is not making it immediately accessible. At least you don't have to pay for the solicitor's letter!

Edited by spandit
Changed "offensive" to "prohibited"

Unfortunately, the way it works is that if said knife is over 3" blade, or any length and locking, the burden of proof that you are carrying it for "good reason" falls on you, and while it would seem obvious that the op was carrying it for good reason and I've no doubt the CPS or a jury if it ever got that far would duely kick it out, it is my understanding that a police officer would be within their rights to arrest anyone they felt necessary. The law truly can be an *** at times.